3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P2609 Fault Code

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
Given that you recently replaced the batteries,this may be related to a loose, broken or corroded wire(solenoid)connection at one of the battery terminals. Make sure you check each wire connected to the battery terminals and make sure they are tight and clean. Check the opposite ends of each battery cable, including the grounds.

The following information is the diagnostic literature regarding the P2609 fault code. This will help you pinpoint the issue.

WHEN MONITORED
First 15 seconds of engine operation.

SET CONDITION
The ECM does not detect a voltage drop on the intake air heater circuit.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

* Intake air heater open
* Intake air heater ground open
* Open battery cable from intake air heater relay
* Battery cable open
* #1 Intake air heater relay
* #2 Intake air heater relay
* Intermittent condition

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

DIAGNOSTIC TEST

1. INTAKE AIR HEATER OPEN
Measure the resistance between the intake air heater supply and ground terminal on each intake air heater.

Q: Is the resistance less than 10 Ohms?

YES: Go To 2
NO: Replace the open Intake Air Heater. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

2. INTAKE AIR HEATER GROUND OPEN
Measure the resistance of the intake air heater ground circuit between the intake air heater terminal and the intake manifold cover ground connection.

NOTE: The intake air heater circuit is grounded through a conductive gasket on the top and bottom of the air heater (grey colored gaskets).

YES: Go To 3
NO: Repair the open Intake Air heater ground or replace both heater gaskets with the proper conductive gaskets. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

3. OPEN BATTERY CABLE FROM INTAKE AIR HEATER RELAY
Measure the resistance of the battery cable between the intake air heater and the intake air heater relay for both intake air heaters.

YES: Go To 4
NO: Repair The open or high resistance battery cable from the intake heater relay to heater. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

4. BATTERY CABLE OPEN
Measure the resistance of the battery cable between the battery and the intake air heater relay for both relays.

YES: Go To 5
NO: Replace the battery cable from the battery to the Intake Air Heater Relay. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

5. #1 INTAKE AIR HEATER RELAY
Disconnect the #1 intake air heater relay signal wire.
Connect a jumper wire from the signal terminal of the #1 intake air heater relay to battery positive.

Q: Did the relay click when 12 volts was applied?

YES: Go To 6
NO: Replace #1 Intake Air Heater Relay. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1

6. #2 INTAKE AIR HEATER RELAY
Disconnect the #2 intake air heater relay signal wire.
Connect a jumper wire from the signal terminal of the #2 intake air heater relay to battery positive.

Q: Did the relay click when 12 volts was applied?

YES: Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). See: Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic Strategies
NO: Replace #2 Intake Air Heater Relay. Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). See: Verification Tests\Powertrain Verification Test - Ver 1
How would I check what's in bold type above? Do I use a meter of some type or kind??
Old 12-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RamGazer
Ditto, I shouldn't have typed what I did. If they did let me use it, how would I clear it? Since I've never used one before??
Once you have the scan tool, plug it into the OBD II connector. Turn the key until you get your warning lights and stop. Follow the directions on the scanner, which should have powered up and be asking you to do something. Once you have the codes cleared, you're done. If you really, really can't get your hands on one, do the following: Make sure the key is off, open the hood, close pax doors and disconnect BOTH ground connectors from the batteries and wait 5 minutes. Reconnect and tighten both terminals and start. CEL should be out.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sur5er
Once you have the scan tool, plug it into the OBD II connector. Turn the key until you get your warning lights and stop. Follow the directions on the scanner, which should have powered up and be asking you to do something. Once you have the codes cleared, you're done. If you really, really can't get your hands on one, do the following: Make sure the key is off, open the hood, close pax doors and disconnect BOTH ground connectors from the batteries and wait 5 minutes. Reconnect and tighten both terminals and start. CEL should be out.
What are pax doors?
Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM

What are pax doors?
Sorry Close all the doors. (Pax is shorthand for passenger)
Old 12-23-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Sur5er
Are you sure about discounting both of the ground cables? I tried that and it didn't go away.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:05 PM

How important is it to have a grounding strap in this pic? I bought the truck used and it looks like it never has had one here.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So after 6 successful starts my CEL came on again, but shows no code when I key the ignition. I'll have to Smarty the truck again and see if it shows a code.

EDIT: Okay, I Smartied the CEL and it was P2609 so I cleared it. All my wiring looks good. Could it be the new batteries causing the code?

Also, I don't have that ground strap either.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:54 AM

Sorry I didn't get back. The CEL was clear the next day after sitting overnight and started. Just got through driving 1,300 miles w/ no CEL in a week.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine keeps coming back.... But the tach works when it does!!!
Old 01-02-2012, 12:46 PM

Sorry I didn't get back. The CEL was clear the next day after sitting overnight and started. Just got through driving 1,300 miles w/ no CEL in a week.
Sometimes ya just have to "Old School" it. Glad it worked out.