3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

P0148 Code - what's the cause?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0148 Code - what's the cause?

I have an 06 diesel, and am getting the Fuel Delivery Error generic code regularly. When I clear the DTC, it pops right back up.

The thing is, the truck runs perfectly, and always has, it has 18k miles now.

Question directed to the professional dealer techs out there, what exactly causes this error? I suspect common rail pressure out of spec, etc. but what are the exact sensors that trigger the computer to throw this generic code?

Is this a fuel rail issue, or can it also be a lift pump issue? Does the ECM sense the flow of fuel somehow? If so where, are there actual flow transducers?

I understand there also may be a new reflash of the ECM for this commonly thrown code, but before I take the truck in, I would have to remove a certain modification. Hence the bit of self-diagnosis before returning to the dealer.

Any clarifications would be appreciated.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.canobd2.com/support/DTC_lookup.asp
Old 09-05-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks but....

I already knew the generic OBD2 code. I am kinda past that, looking deeper into the cause of the generic "fuel delivery error" code.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:17 PM

for dodge that code actually reads HPCR checksum, which means for some reason your fuel rail pressure is not meet, it could be a lift pump, FCA, relief valve, cracked injector, or plugged filter, etc. if you have no warranty conflicting mods then take it to the dealer so they can put it on the STARscan and fix it under warranty.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
P0148-HIGH PRESSURE COMMON RAIL (HPCR) CHECKSUM
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W.

When Monitored:
While the engine is running.

Set Condition:
A deviation between the fuel pressure set point and the actual fuel pressure.

Possible Causes
OTHERS DTC'S PRESENT
FUEL LEAKS
FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR
FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR
CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE
CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED
FUEL RETURN LINES OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGE, OR DEBRIS
LIFT PUMP FLOW
AIR IN FUEL SYSTEM
LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS
PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE
HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP
INTERMITTENT CONDITION

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Diagnostic Test
1. OTHERS DTC'S PRESENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With the scan tool, read DTCs.

Are any other DTC's present?

Yes
Repair other DTC's first.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL).

No
Go To2

2. FUEL LEAKS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ensure that the fuel level is above 15% using the scan tool.
Visually inspect the low and high pressure side of the fuel system for fuel leaks or damaged components.

Do you have any fuel leaks or damaged components?

Yes
Repair the fuel leak.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
Go To3

3. FUEL CONTROL ACTUATOR

Check for a mechanically stuck Fuel Control Actuator (FCA). Using the scan tool, actuate the fuel control actuator.

NOTE: The fuel control actuator will only click when cycled off..

Do you hear a click from the actuator when you cycle the actuator off with the scan tool?

Yes
Go To4

No
Replace the fuel Injector pump.
Perform POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST VER - 1 (DIESEL). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULES/ENGINE CONTROL MODULE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

4. FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR

Using the scan tool, monitor the fuel pressure reading from the fuel rail pressure sensor at idle and at 2000 RPM

Is the fuel rail pressure reading higher at 2000 RPM than at idle?

Yes
Go To5

No
Replace the fuel pressure sensor.

5. HIGH FUEL PRESSURE

Using the scan tool compare the fuel rail pressure set point with the actual fuel rail pressure.

Is the actual fuel rail pressure higher than the fuel rail pressure set point?

Yes
Go To6

No
Go To9

6. CASCADE OVERFLOW VALVE

Perform the no trouble code test "*fuel pump return flow test" .(Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Did the fuel injection pump pass the test?

Yes
Go To7

No
Replace the Fuel pump.

7. CHECK VALVE DAMAGED OR BLOCKED

Check the fuel drain line check valve in the rear of the cylinder head for signs of damage, blockage, or debris.

Is the check valve damaged or blocked?

Yes
Repair the cause of the damaged or blocked check valve or replace the valve.

No
Go To8

8. FUEL RETURN LINE OBSTRUCTION, DAMAGED OR DEBRIS

Check the fuel return lines for signs of obstruction, damage, or debris.

Are the fuel drain lines damaged or blocked?

Yes
Repair cause of high fuel drain line restriction.

No
Go To9

9. LIFT PUMP FLOW

Perform the no trouble code "*LIFT PUMP FLOW TEST". (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Did the Lift pump pass the test?

Yes
Go To10

No
Replace the Lift Pump.

10. PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE

Perform the no trouble code test "*PRESSURE LIMITING VALVE ON THE FUEL RAIL FOR INTERNAL LEAKS".

Did the pressure limiting valve pass the test procedure?

Yes
Go To11

No
Replace the Pressure Limiting Valve.

11. LEAKING FUEL INJECTORS OR HIGH PRESSURE CONNECTORS

Perform the no trouble test "*INJECTOR RETURN FLOW TEST". (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Are any Injectors leaking or high pressure connectors leaking?

Yes
Replace or repair the leaking fuel injectors or high pressure connectors.

No
Go To12

12. HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP

Perform the no trouble code test "*HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP PERFORMANCE TEST". (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

Did the fuel pump pass the high pressure fuel pump performance test?

Yes
Refer to the INTERMITTENT CONDITION Symptom (Diagnostic Procedure). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE - DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING)

No
Replace the High pressure fuel pump.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:19 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Any mods that may be contributing to this code?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:34 PM

I got this code and a P0193 as well last week while my Quad XZT box was in the truck. I also had some bucking and sputtering under harder acceleration. After I removed the box and the harness for it the symptoms went away and the CEL cleared itself after 4 driving cycles. If you have performance box on there take it off. Also Quaddzilla recommended using some dielectric grease on the connections when I reinstall it. They said that would make it all better.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:30 AM

I guess what I am looking to understand is whether the ECM can tell if the fuel lift pump is off, as my installed mod is an auxiliary fuel tank and pump, I shut off the stock lift pump when the aux is in use via a relay. Of course, the supply and return lines go through a 6-port pollak valve, so they are uninterrupted, they just have a different destination.

This seems the only explanation that makes sense, since the truck runs super.

Last edited by cornwallav8r; 09-06-2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: added details
Old 09-06-2007, 11:49 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

The ecm can tell if the pump is running or not. That may be what is setting the code. You should be able to use the factory pump wiring with a relay to fool the ecm.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:55 AM

Can you back up that reply with fact or is that a guess? How does the ECM know the lift pump is running? I have a manual, I don't see a sensor line from the pump, it just gets a 12v power signal. I don't see a pressure sensor in the lift pump fuel supply area. Besides, my secondary lift pump puts out 40-60psi, much better than the stock lift pump, making sure the Bosch injector pump doesn't get starved. THanks