3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Operating Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Run between 190 and 210. You will hear a lot of diff. operating temps that people see. Some run 190, some run 210. Hot is probably around 230 or higher. Cold, don't strees the motor, or put a load on it until the needle comes off the bottom or shows some temp.
so iam supposedto sit for 20 min or so maybe longer before i move with a loaded trailer not . give the truck about 5 min and go. as far as the idle causing problems have torn down 3 motors 2 where cr's that had lots of idle time and their was no wash and by idle time i mean sitting for 8 hrs or so at idle. they both had valve problems due to exsesive egt and chip issues nothing from idleing. the gauge wont move till one 140 and to reach that on a 20 degree morning can take about 4 miles or about 15 min
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SInce RPM's heat oil, and the truck never see's more than 3K, I would expect that in the winter the oil would never get really warm.
How do you figure that? The statement implies that friction is involved, which is exactly what oil is supposed to eliminate. I'm missing something.

Originally Posted by Ace
They don't make much heat just sitting there running. The best way to warm it up is to drive it. Drive it towing, even better. Idling to warm up a diesel is a waste of fuel. Even at a high idle you may not be hurting it and warming it only slightly faster, but still pretty much a waste of time. Low speed idling may even harm it from cylinder wash, long term.
High idle heats my truck up faster than running it unloaded. Hauling warms it faster and hauling in 4wd is the quickest. Not often I've been in the latter scenario (gotta have a lot of snow on the road for this) but it warmed pretty quick the few times I have.

I do have a big hunk of cardboard in front of the radiator (6" dia. hole cut in the middle).

The block heater makes a very big difference below 10 degrees F.

I'm easy on it when it's below the second mark on the temp gauge but I've wondered if it matters. The pour point on my synthetic oil is really pretty low IMO, so I'm not sure it makes a difference. I've just always kept it 45 mph max until warmed up. But if I don't plug the truck in, have time to high idle and it's below 0, 45 mph will not warm the truck up to nominal temps unless I'm pulling.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I run Amsoil Marine grade synth and at start up it sounds harsh for about the first couple of minutes, then the pinging stops and eventually it smooths out. You can tell the oil is loose and has worked it way through the engine. But it goes as far as cycling throw the warm up proceedure for as long as 20+ minutes depending on the outside temps. I just always figured that was normal and I should just be patient. Even my H-D I let warm up before pulling away. The Acura too. I see people here at work at night, it's like 17 degrees, they get in and the car is moving before the door is shut it seems. Crazy.

Maybe I'm wrong but I would rather waste the fuel than tear up the innards in a hurry to get to work. In an emergency, yes. But otherwise, work can wait. Now I have driven away just after the needle starts to move but I really take it easy. I keep it under 2 grand till the needle gets up in the safe for me range.

Rob