3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purolater claims that the Pure One oil filters filter at 20 Micron absolute. Below is what I got from them when asking about the Pure One oil filter I use on the wife's car.

{The PureOne filters are rated at 99.9% efficient at 20 microns.
The performance testing is based on the PL30001 filter. As stated on our packaging. The number we use 99.9% at 20 microns is absolute.

Filters are typically reported in the filter industry with nominal ratings. That
is, at the filters 50% efficiency. An absolute micron rating is typically stated at 98.7%.}

I noticed lower RPM's after switching from 5W40 to Amsoil 5w30 HDD synthetic oil at 70 MPH. A day or 2 after I changed I noticed that my tachometer showed the engine running at 1950 at 70 MPH, 50 RPM's lower and to this day it still turns 1950 RPM's at 70 MPH, as for why I don't know nor do I care.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyDood
First choice... Amsoil EaO 80 or Donaldson ELF7349. Exact same media used inside.
Second choice... Fleetguard Stratapore LF3894 or LF16035. Again exact same filter except one has flutes on the end the other doesn't.
Third choice. There isn't one.
Yep..

Amsoil is 15um absolute; Fleetguard is 25um absolute

Originally Posted by SuperGewl
Yes AMSOIL and AMSOIL Oil also. While you are at it replace all the fluids with AMSOIL products. You will not regret it. Before you do the oil change, take it out to the highway on a long stretch of pretty flat and straight area, set the cruise control at 60 and see what the rpms are. Then change the oil and filter with AMSOIL go back to the same area and repeat the test. Then post what the 2 differnet readings are

Sorry.. engine oil has zero bearing on your rpms at a given speed.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlCorr
My preference is Baldwin BT7349, nothing but the best for my truck.
Without doubt the best bang for your buck oil filter out there, 12 nominal and 30 absolute for just over 5 bucks.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rufushusky
Without doubt the best bang for your buck oil filter out there, 12 nominal and 30 absolute for just over 5 bucks.
But... can you go 25,000 miles on it in a 03 or 04 Cummins not using a bypass system and still have your soot reading <.1%? I have the past two oil changes going with the 1yr/25,000 mile interval. I hit the mileage right on par with the 1 yr mark since I commute 100 miles a day round trip.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:44 PM

But... can you go 25,000 miles on it in a 03 or 04 Cummins not using a bypass system and still have your soot reading <.1%? I have the past two oil changes going with the 1yr/25,000 mile interval. I hit the mileage right on par with the 1 yr mark since I commute 100 miles a day round trip.
Heck... can't even do that on an 04.5+ with a bypass.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:55 PM

What are you running? Donaldson/Amsoil? That is the best oil filter on a Cummins, no question. But the Amsoil filter is 24 near me and I can't even find Donaldson filter around me. If I could I would run them. What are you running for oil? Amsoil?
Old 04-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Amsoil is all a gimmick and alot of people swear by it, my sig shows what rotella can do and thats with no additive ever. oil analysis show very good. stay away from the hype and use what you feel is best not what some spec sheet says that anybody can make up on a computer
Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM

In the last 2 years I've owned my truck I've done a bit of "experimenting"

so far I've done the Rotella, Valvoline Premium Blue, Amsoil CJ-4+ on the oils

Stanadyne, Howes, Power Service, PFFP, and 2 cycle Supertech on the additives

and Mopar, Stratapore, Amsoil and Baldwin on the filters.

Most recently I went from the Amsoil filter/oil combo to the Baldwin/Valvoline combo. While doing this I took an oil sample and will be sending it out to get analyzed in the next few days.

The one thing that did strike me as strange was during the last change from the Amsoil to the Valvoline, the Amsoil poured out like water. Not very viscous at all. I had 11,500 km on it at the time of change.

I have noticed absolutely NO DIFFERENCES at all between anything I do.

The last change was the first time I took an oil sample, so my observations are based on mileage, performance of the engine and the way it sounds and things like that, not so much of that fancy science.

so far the Baldwin filters are waaaaay cheaper than anything else I've bought and obviously the Amsoil is the most expensive.

For me it's a $60 difference in price and I'm also an Amsoil super friend and pick up locally.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Amsoil lowers the engine rpms too? Amazing stuff.

While everyone seems to have strong opinions, obviously some are based on mystic abilities like lowering rpms....

Why is it that the big oil testing labs say any oil is good oil, and running a good filter and changing regularly are the most important thing. Most of the oil experts say WalMart Tech oil is just fine, and many of the long haul guys on here use the cheapest oil they can find and have hundreds of thousands of miles on their trucks.

I'll continue to listen to the oil analyzing labs, and not the oil salesmen.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rufushusky
What are you running? Donaldson/Amsoil? That is the best oil filter on a Cummins, no question. But the Amsoil filter is 24 near me and I can't even find Donaldson filter around me. If I could I would run them. What are you running for oil? Amsoil?
Yes. I am running the Amsoil Filter and Amsoil AME Oil. $90 once a year for me for the oil and Filter.

Originally Posted by gofastman
Amsoil is all a gimmick and alot of people swear by it, my sig shows what rotella can do and thats with no additive ever. oil analysis show very good. stay away from the hype and use what you feel is best not what some spec sheet says that anybody can make up on a computer
Call it what you want. I also have the analysis reports backing up my oil change intervals. Guess that is all hype.

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Amsoil lowers the engine rpms too? Amazing stuff. While everyone seems to have strong opinions, obviously some are based on mystic abilities like lowering rpms....

Why is it that the big oil testing labs say any oil is good oil, and running a good filter and changing regularly are the most important thing. Most of the oil experts say WalMart Tech oil is just fine, and many of the long haul guys on here use the cheapest oil they can find and have hundreds of thousands of miles on their trucks.

I'll continue to listen to the oil analyzing labs, and not the oil salesmen.
To each his own. I do agree on the labs and not the salesmen. I have the analysis reports to back up my 1yr/25,000 mile intervals.

I used to spat at extended drain intervals. No way was I ever going to go that route. Finally I gave in a couple years later and decided to give it try. Guess what, I've never looked back. I drive 23,000 - 25,000 miles a year commuting and my truck idles at least an hour a week. The first time I used the Amsoil AME 15w-40 I used Fleetguard Stratapore filters and changed them every 7500ish miles topping off with a fresh quart because I had a hard time accepting what I was doing. I finally went with the Amsoil EaO80 filter the whole distance. Guess what? The Amsoil EaO80 filter going the total time yielded me better analysis results than changing the Fleetguard Stratapore every 7500ish miles.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM

Yes. I am running the Amsoil Filter and Amsoil AME Oil. $90 once a year for me for the oil and Filter.

Call it what you want. I also have the analysis reports backing up my oil change intervals. Guess that is all hype.

To each his own. I do agree on the labs and not the salesmen. I have the analysis reports to back up my 1yr/25,000 mile intervals.

I used to spat at extended drain intervals. No way was I ever going to go that route. Finally I gave in a couple years later and decided to give it try. Guess what, I've never looked back. I drive 23,000 - 25,000 miles a year commuting and my truck idles at least an hour a week. The first time I used the Amsoil AME 15w-40 I used Fleetguard Stratapore filters and changed them every 7500ish miles topping off with a fresh quart because I had a hard time accepting what I was doing. I finally went with the Amsoil EaO80 filter the whole distance. Guess what? The Amsoil EaO80 filter going the total time yielded me better analysis results than changing the Fleetguard Stratapore every 7500ish miles.
You early HPCR guys are lucky.. I can only squeak to 25K miles on AME with a bypass.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:20 PM

Glad to hear you're having luck!

Here's a question.... If you used the Fleetguard and got kind of bad reports running long intervals, what made the report bad?

Now you run the Amsoil filter and like your reports, why?

Answer those two questions then consider this.

If you have high iron, copper, lead, or any wear metals and you see them on the report with the Fleetguard, you have a problem that is not filter related! The oil is not doing its job protecting the engine!

So if you slap an awesome filter on there that filters out every spec of every molecule and now your oil reports are good, then that tells me your wonderful filter is holding all the worn bearings, tappets and cylinder walls. The damage is being done, and the filter is straining it out so you don't see it.

My take anyway. But I'm a simple man.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:28 PM

If you have high iron, copper, lead, or any wear metals and you see them on the report with the Fleetguard, you have a problem that is not filter related! The oil is not doing its job protecting the engine!

So if you slap an awesome filter on there that filters out every spec of every molecule and now your oil reports are good, then that tells me your wonderful filter is holding all the worn bearings, tappets and cylinder walls. The damage is being done, and the filter is straining it out so you don't see it.

Even the 2um amsoil bypass will not filter out the wear metals enough to mask a UOA. Those are VERY VERY VERY small particles that it counts, and are just as representative with 2um filtration as with 35um filtration.. but the 2um filtration will reduce further wear by removing the particles that cause the additional wear.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned

Glad to hear you're having luck!

Here's a question.... If you used the Fleetguard and got kind of bad reports running long intervals, what made the report bad?

Now you run the Amsoil filter and like your reports, why?

Answer those two questions then consider this.

Sorry, I did add confusion to what I said. I should have been specific. My soot levels dropped. Wear metals and contaminates were all in the same ballpark. My soot went from 1% using the Stratapore to <.1% using the Amsoil filter. Soot levels under 2% is what is considered the norm. The Stratapore's filter right on par with the Amsoil filter for wear metals and contaminates, but the Amsoil is better at soot removal. So all in all I save money by using the one filter instead of three. Also remember, I have an 04 with the 305/555 engine. The 305/555 engine is by far the easiest on oil of all the 3rd Gen engines.

AH64ID is correct. Even a bypass will not filter the wear metals and contaminates since they are sub-micron.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 PM

Sub-micron. Gotcha. That makes a LOT more sense now. Amsoil filters are good for soot? I know I have soot in my oil! In fact I just ran almost 11K on the last oil change and didn't send in for a UOA. Probably better that I didn't, because what's done is done. I don't need the worry right now.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter