3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil consumption *update*

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oil consumption *update*

Since I have had this truck, bought Nov. 2012 with 160xxx miles, I have had a oil consumption problem. I now have 195xxx miles on it and it developed a engine miss. I replaced #5 last Sunday. From Monday of last week, until Sunday, I have added 2 gallons of oil. I performed a "blow-by" test with the manometer at my job. 4.7 @ idle and 10.7 @ 2200 rpm. It will also blow the oil cap out of your hand. The entire underside of the truck is covered in oil from the blow-by tube back. Good news! I found the oil consumption problem....we all know the bad news.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:24 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Most likely got dusted, did you get truck with aftermarket air intake and filter?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Broken ring? Most likely cause.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:25 AM

Stock air box, all I have ran is the deep NAPA Gold air filter. I change the filter twice a year. I think it had a Car Quest filter in it at the dealer when I got it. I have a Bully Dog on it, and a muffler delete. That is all. I don't "abuse" the truck, but I don't Grandma it, either. I leave the BD on "tow" setting, and drive. I think the guy who had it before me pulled horse trailers with it. It had a gooseneck hitch in it, with a brake controller. I can only guess as to how it was taken care of.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch...
Old 02-27-2015, 01:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When this engine is disassembled, please inspect the bores for debris damage and report back here. These engines are normally good for 500k miles before overhaul. Many make it to 1 million miles. I suspect the aftermarket air cleaner. Most of those performance filters do not filter well and allow particulate to pass. Further to my point is that many of these performance filters clog much earlier and degrade performance after only a short period of use. Use these things at your peril!
Old 02-28-2015, 08:14 AM

Like I stated, I have not run aftermarket filters. I run NAPA Gold air filter (deep). I can only assume that that the PO ran the living Edit out of this truck pulling horses and whatever. I still am surprised that it has failed. I see the things other folks do to their trucks and they last for way more than mine???!!!??? Now staring at $5K to get it fixed right, sucks. What do you do? I bought my truck for cash, no payments. So, now it is either fix it or sell it broke and loose WAY too much money.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:03 AM

Dragon Slayer,
Sometimes a good deal is not such a good deal, like in your case. I don't know what you paid for the truck or the circumstances surrounding your purchase, but it is safe to say that your truck's condition is less than it should have been for its mileage. Please remember that this engine was an $8,000 option when the truck was purchased new, so $5,000 for an overhaul seems low. Make sure you know what you are getting for your 5K! Please remember that an overhaul is not synonymous with new. You need to pay attention to what is being changed as well as what and how is being repaired. New injectors alone cost $2,000. Just remember that there is no free lunch. You get what you pay for. I'm giving you fair warning, that a complete refresh can easily cost $8,000 in parts alone.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:10 AM

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Yes, I understand the what is involved. This ain't my first go at this stuff. I deal with this everyday at work. I'm looking at long-term. Yes, my truck will never be "sold" to break even or come out ahead, I get it. It's worth it to me. No payments on this one, or any other in my driveway. So, to drop $5-$7k on this is still only a partial amount of a replacement. And, what if I replace it with another "used" truck? Then what? At least now I'll know that what my truck is.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:05 AM

No argument with your logic or your payment free goals. These Cummins motors are high quality, long duration engines. These things are NOT SBCs. Good parts are always expensive. If you're going to do this, refresh everything including new water pump, steering pump and fuel filtering and you'll be golden.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 PM

I ended up getting a good deal on the truck. It was listed at a close dealership at the wrong price. They priced it as a 1500. It was on eBay with a "buy it now" price of $11932. I went and drove it and we went to write the check for it when the manager came in and said he was going to change the price to $17900. I showed him the ebay listing and said NO! It ain't my fault that someone there screwed up. After about an hour of arguing, we got the truck for $11900. So that is why I am going to fix this. And yes, I will go through everything. I have a machine shop that is owned by a close friend to do that work. I will use all my vendors to get a great discount on my Cummins parts. It helps when the company I work for spends over $200k a year to the Cummins dealer in town.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Post back what you find when you tear into it. Be interesting to see. My beat is a broken ring as I stated above. Maker sure to have the injectors checked or replaced.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:59 PM

I will pull the head and see what's up. Maybe get that next weekend, weather permitting. Calling for rain all next week. Injectors, yep, will replace them all.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:54 AM

Why would you pull the head? You have a motor problem that requires an overhaul. You have a clutch problem and who knows what else. You need to pull the motor and gearbox and get everything out in the open and cleaned. Then take it apart and fix it. Doing anything less will cost you additional money and time.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:43 AM

Pulling the head will make it come out of truck easier. Also make the assembly a bit lighter and easier to mange. Plus, I can survey the damage a little quicker....

Quick Reply: Oil consumption *update*