3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Oil for 2004 HO Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jack Thorpe
I have always used Rotella, I like the smell

Just kidding. I guess I use Rotella because so many other people do. I know that's not a very scientific reason to use it, but I've never heard of anyone who wasn't happy with it.
The only thing about Rotella not to be "happy" about is it's cold-weather performance...Delo, Delvac, and Pennz. Long-Life all have much suprerior cold flow properties.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by jlells01
The only thing about Rotella not to be "happy" about is it's cold-weather performance...Delo, Delvac, and Pennz. Long-Life all have much suprerior cold flow properties.
Thats important to me since I live in the frozen north.....Im not saying its bad - its just not for me...
Old 01-24-2004, 11:20 PM

ive been using cenex maxtron deo (synthetic blend) in my last two trucks
its a CH -4 rating and not a CI rating
however
I called the tech line and asked them about the rating , the guy told me that the oil contained the same additive package as their CI rated oil , they just havent gone through the licence process yet

ive been very happy with the performance of this oil as far as cleaning the soot off parts and putting into the filter where it belongs. and the price is right as well
so Ive opted to use it in my new truck as well and hope they will change the rating to include CI
Old 02-07-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can find Mystik JT-8 Super Heavy Duty in your area, it is CI-4 rated.

http://www.citgo.com/Products/LubesO...kEngineOil.jsp
Old 02-07-2004, 03:11 PM

I noticed that the engine was quiter after the last oil change, going from the dealer oil to Delvac 1300. Now that I'm getting close to my next 3750mi change the engine noise seems to slowly be picking up again, like valve clatter, ticks, etc. I'll do Delvac again, and since I'll be at 15k miles I might try a blend of 2 to 3 qts of Delvac 1 with the 1300.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:34 PM

This may come as a big shocker to the forum, because one of it's 'concrete truths' the forum seems to believe in, is that CI-4 oil is required. I got email a few days ago straight from the cummins powermaster, saying that Cummins engines without EGR only required CH-4. The sky is falling! Of course - if ppl knew what CI-4 actually was about - they'd know they could run ch4 without probs. Most that do know choose ci-4 just to be with the most up to date/advanced product. I do as well, but CH-4 is absolutely fine!
Old 02-08-2004, 09:38 AM

I just ordered oil for my 04 CTD, I did order CI-4 rated oil, the company's highest. Also ordered oil for are farm tractor's from the same company and the rep recommended not going with the CI-4 rated oil for them, he said there CH-4 rated oil actually has more additives and in his opinion is a better oil, he said the CI-4 oil is formulated for emmisionived engine but not the best for "older" engines. I just thought I had better stay with what the book says.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:50 AM

Mystik's JT-8 is rated for CI-4 as well as CH-4, CG-4, CF-4 & CF/SL. It should work for all of your applications if you can find it in your area. It is used in a lot of farm applications in this area.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:32 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by jlells01
You'll have to shoot me and kill be dead before I'll put pennz in my truck.
Old 02-08-2004, 05:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If I recall correctly, with gas engines the difference in oil rated SG/SH, and oil rated SJ is that anti friction additives that tend to poison the catalitic converter were removed to help cars pass the 100,000 emission standard. Additives (containing zinc if I remember right) that get into exhaust from blow by/PCV valve or oil burning eventually make the catalist worthless. The additives removed apparently were to resist gear shearing of long chain molecules, and apparently the difference was made up by increasing other additives.

Most motorcyclists who ride something that uses a common oil in the gearbox and engine, and do not have catalatic converters tend to avoid SJ oils. Many motorcycle specific oils are still rated SG.

I wonder if CI-4 could have been created for a similar reason?
Old 02-08-2004, 05:24 PM

That is kind of what my supplier implied, I think. The rep said that the CI-4 oil is specially designed for ERG engines, non erg engines are better off using only CH-4 rated oil. Although there CI-4 is also CH-4 rated he said for our farm equiptment to stick with there older CH-4 oil.
Old 02-10-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Spike45,

Nice post. That link was really informative.

Quick Reply: Oil for 2004 HO Cummins