3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Number 4 injector and replacement question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Number 4 injector and replacement question

I have owned my truck 3 years this coming May. I have put 14K miles on it (105K total) and mostly use it for pulling camper. The engine started missing bad and check light came on. At the shop I had the bad injector replaced with a Bosh rebuilt one. When I first bought the truck I used Lucas Fuel additive giving to me by the seller. I stopped using it when the bottle was empty. Never got anymore...big mistake. For months after easing around town and getting on the interstate ramp and accelerating it would smoke. After that any hard acceleration would not smoke.

Since the new injector I have used Stanadyne injector cleaner in 25 gals of fuel. Added 25 gals and started second round of cleaner. No more smoking on acc.

Bad news is people have told me that when one goes bad more will fail. I hope that maybe using the Stanadyne cleaner and Stanadyne additive regularly will prevent anymore failures. I have a FASS lift pump and looking at getting the very best fuel filter.

I know the odds of another failure are the same as the first. Have any of you guys had a failure and been able to avoid another by using additives and keeping a good clean filter? I hope I will not have anymore failures and wish I had been using the additive all along...

Thanks
Johnny
Old 01-10-2015, 08:28 PM

injector help! Maybe?

Originally Posted by Rushman
I have owned my truck 3 years this coming May. I have put 14K miles on it (105K total) and mostly use it for pulling camper. The engine started missing bad and check light came on. At the shop I had the bad injector replaced with a Bosh rebuilt one. When I first bought the truck I used Lucas Fuel additive giving to me by the seller. I stopped using it when the bottle was empty. Never got anymore...big mistake. For months after easing around town and getting on the interstate ramp and accelerating it would smoke. After that any hard acceleration would not smoke.

Since the new injector I have used Stanadyne injector cleaner in 25 gals of fuel. Added 25 gals and started second round of cleaner. No more smoking on acc.

Bad news is people have told me that when one goes bad more will fail. I hope that maybe using the Stanadyne cleaner and Stanadyne additive regularly will prevent anymore failures. I have a FASS lift pump and looking at getting the very best fuel filter.

I know the odds of another failure are the same as the first. Have any of you guys had a failure and been able to avoid another by using additives and keeping a good clean filter? I hope I will not have anymore failures and wish I had been using the additive all along...

Thanks
Johnny
Hi Johnny, I've had just the solenoid on the top of my injectors go bad on my 2007 5.9 H.O. CTD. Instead of replacing the whole injector, I just replaced the solenoid while the injector was still in the truck. I can fix one in about 20 minutes now. The process involves measuring the solenoid with an ohm meter to see if that's the problem. It shouldn't be any more resistance than 0.5 ohm. Compare it's measurement to all the others. Easy trick! TDR just printed my step by step instructions in their current issue and is on the TDR website. It could be a plugged or stuck pentle inside but it can be a solenoid too. More common than you think and the dealer won't do it. No money to be made! The solenoids can be bought off eBay for about $70.00. I carry a spare and the few tools to get me going. Good luck, Herb Wheeler
Old 01-11-2015, 07:28 AM

Thanks Herb...I was on Vac and supplied the injector to the shop to get back on the road fast. I next day shipped from NC to Fl. I didn't buy a solenoid, so don't think that came into play. I'm trying to avoid any other failures of injectors and would like to know if there is any truth to hearing that when one goes bad the rest will also.

Thanks
Johnny

Last edited by Rushman; 01-11-2015 at 07:29 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:56 PM

I also hear you can't change just one. I don't see any connection between them for our 5.9s. The ECM monitors the resistance of the solenoids individually and will kick a code if they're off in ohms reading. Everyone of my injectors measure exactly the same now. Age may be a factor in more than one going bad. Think of the temps they are in for hours and covered in hot oil. I'm open minded if someone has more info. Thanks, Herb