3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

No drain plugs for diff's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:No drain plugs for diff's?

followup on my experience guys -- my 04 came with LOW FLUID LEVEL IN THE REAR . And read your owners manual about the spec -- t6_man is correct -- for the 11.5" rear axles, the spec is 1/4" below +/- 1/4". for the 9.5" front axles, the spec is the same -- 1/4" below +/- 1/4". Man if that isn't a license to 'fill to the brim' I don't know what is.

When I took delivery I checked with the service manager about the fill levels and having learned that DC took the inspection out of the PDI I decided that I would just drive it. Well, 700 miles later I got curious. Curious but not **** I did the pinky test and got concerned about how far down the oil level was.

time to get ****. I took a plastic tie wrap and bent the end into a right angle. this made an ideal dipstick, due to the color (clear oil shows up on black plastic much better than on a paper clip) and the little marks on there made it very easy to measure things. I measured 5/8" below the fill hole. hmm, thats just 1/8" out of spec. so I mowed the lawn to give my brain some time to ponder what this meant, and I concluded that such a level was really no big deal -- they fill these by volume (quarts) not by level, and 1/8" below spec running empty isn't going to hurt anything, and I decided to top it off with 75W-90 synthetic Mobile 1.

I measured the front axle and it was right at 1/2" below so I topped it off too. now both axles are filled to the brim and are running at the top end of the spec and not the bottom ;D

Just a warning though, to those with 10.5" rear axles: your spec is 3/4" +/- 1/4" so I wouldn't fill that one to the brim.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:41 AM
JKE

Doug - **** and your pinky does fit.

I am running mobil 1 also...to the rim! We have actually hammered this quite hard, but I am glad to see that everyone wants it done PROPERLY!

John
Old 09-29-2003, 01:39 PM

Doug,

Sorry to inform you Doug, At the factory they don't fill by volume. They fill out of a bulk container with a power nozzle. If the Yeahoo who is holding the nozzle trys to fill it too fast, it starts to run out. "Isn't that full? So he stops filling it. Mine was down over 2 quarts, lost the ring an pinion at 2000 miles. :'(
Old 09-29-2003, 02:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An **** bunch indeed, myself included. I guess the moral of the story is CHECK THE LEVEL
Old 09-29-2003, 03:11 PM
JKE

amen brother.

check everything yourself!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:31 PM

[quote author=Sierra Phil link=board=20;threadid=19803;start=60#msg190609 date=1064860784]
Doug,

Sorry to inform you Doug, At the factory they don't fill by volume. They fill out of a bulk container with a power nozzle. If the Yeahoo who is holding the nozzle trys to fill it too fast, it starts to run out. "Isn't that full? So he stops filling it. Mine was down over 2 quarts, lost the ring an pinion at 2000 miles. :'(
[/quote]

wow, well good info phil. Hope I'm ok at only 1/8" out of spec. I think then for all new vehicle deliveries, you should come with a 3/8" square drive, a bent tie wrap, and a tape measure. do the check right there on the lot.

One reason I didn't do that is because I didn't want to risk the dealer putting in something incorrect. For all the good things I said about my dealer, the service manager floored me when he said these things require a friction modifier. :P

should have done it at home before I left for the road trip. not worried though, 1/8" low and running empty.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:17 PM

The manual says nothing about using 75W140, but if you go to Dodge's web site, under their towing guide (http://www.dodge.com/towing/D/basics...onditions.html), they state for trucks with the towing package, "for all trailer towing or heavy duty applications replace the factory fill rear axle lubricant with an SAE 75W-140 synthetic...". I wonder why they don't tell us this in the owner's manual??? ???
thats old information and appropriate for the 2nd gen DANA axles which come shipped with dino lube. Says that in the 02 owners manual ;D in fact, 75W-140 is one of the mistakes DC techs made early on, according to the AA guy I spoke with.
Thanks for the clarification Doug. I couldn't figure out why the owner's manual said nothing about 75W-140, yet their online towing guide said to use it. They must just have a generic tow guide online, which is VERY misleading :
Old 09-29-2003, 09:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure how much this stuff expands with heat, but I wonder if or how much the level changes after it's been warmed up or driven for a while....? Anyone measure it cold and then hot?
Old 10-02-2003, 07:48 AM

Expansion is verry little. I filled mine to the plug hole cold then checked it later when it was warm and the fluid barely dripped out of the hole.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:26 AM

proof of the pudding is whether or not you get fluid puked out the vent, which is evidence of foaming. My dealer suggested running just under the fill hole, perhaps 1/8", as the best of both worlds. But those who have filled to the bottom of the hole don't seem to be having anything puking out the vent! Anyone tow with fluid up to the bottom?
Old 10-05-2003, 01:44 AM

I think the thing to remember here, is that + or - 1/4" means if your anywhere from even with the threads to 1/2" below your good.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:10 PM

After reading this entire thread I will be checking my differentials tonight, just as a precautionary measure.

I do have some questions though, if I find I have a low level in either differential, front or rear, can I just go and buy a good GL-5 75W-90 and top it off or do I need to drain and fill the whole differential? Synthetic or Dino?

Which brings up my next question. I've never drained and refilled a differential before. I know I can drain it, but my concern is the gasket material to make a good seal. Do these differentials use preformed gaskets or do I need something from a tube, gasket maker?

Thanks much

Eric
Old 10-15-2003, 02:36 PM

the answer to your first question is "yes" -- you can go out and buy a good GL 5 75W-90 SYNTHETIC, and top it off. you don't need to drain. I'm speaking of course of the AA axles introduced in 03.

I'll let someone else answer the gasket question
Old 10-15-2003, 02:46 PM

From what I've read in different threads, the original gasket is reusable, so you won't need to worry. I'll be changing mine in the next few weeks, so I'll find out if what I read is correct.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:27 PM

Did my homework on this too, called AA and their guy said they ran all their tests with Texaco Synstar 75W-90, and that's what he'd recommend. Only caveat about other synth oils was they might not interface as well with seal - he wouldn't venture an opinion. Filled mine to 1/4" below, like AA said. Lots of misinformation from DC - my dealer went so far as to suggest if I didn't use his 75-140 I'd be voiding warranty... I told him what AA said and he said "well then let AA buy you a new rear end when you blow yours out." Gave his name to AA and told them to straighten him out. It feels really different than when it came from the factory - a lot more bite to the lsd in turns. Anyone else notice this?

Quick Reply: No drain plugs for diff's?