3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Napa Single Mass Flywheel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does not give me much confidence in dodge trucks reading about all the junk clutches and flywheels installed in them,is that why they are cheaper than the competition?
Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hammerjammer
Does not give me much confidence in dodge trucks reading about all the junk clutches and flywheels installed in them,is that why they are cheaper than the competition?
Same dmf setup Chevy's and Ford's used to use. No choice now,they don't offer manuals.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 PM

dodge might be better off to not offer manuals,based on their performance
Old 06-03-2010, 09:06 PM

The current G-56 is in operation successfully all over the world. It's a Mercedes product manufactured in Brazil. The NV-5600 and 4500's have worked out great. The G-56's weak spot is the dmf,primarily for guys that up the power,tow over the capacities or run much bigger tires. I'd recommend an auto as it sounds like you've made up your mind already. I had an auto on the '98.5,but love this manual I ordered on the '07. Enjoy.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Nah, that would allow too many sissies to drive a real diesel.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:23 AM

Yeh.,I reckon it would.Haha.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:22 AM

your joking right? i have 140k on my stock set up. Mods to the truck include a "free flowing exhaust" airiad intake, and Custom intake horn. I tow every week and have 1500 lbs of tools on the truck all the time. So to say they don;t perform is a bit understated. Mine is workhorse and will buy another 06 unless they come out with something WAY better. Or i could have one of the ford in our fleet that i'm CONSTANTLY having to fix!

anyway back on topic, I'm going to buy the napa SMF kit next wekkend(they are having there sat sale and i'll save 150 bucks!) for $420. so i will let you know how it holds up.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by tinbanger
your joking right? i have 140k on my stock set up. Mods to the truck include a "free flowing exhaust" airiad intake, and Custom intake horn. I tow every week and have 1500 lbs of tools on the truck all the time. So to say they don;t perform is a bit understated. Mine is workhorse and will buy another 06 unless they come out with something WAY better. Or i could have one of the ford in our fleet that i'm CONSTANTLY having to fix!

anyway back on topic, I'm going to buy the napa SMF kit next wekkend(they are having there sat sale and i'll save 150 bucks!) for $420. so i will let you know how it holds up.
Buy some earplugs to go with it,so the rattling don't damage your hearing.J/K,but mine is awful,been taken out and re-installed by dealer still same noise,however it does the job.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:47 PM

Buy some earplugs to go with it,so the rattling don't damage your hearing.J/K,but mine is awful,been taken out and re-installed by dealer still same noise,however it does the job.
i suppose, there are a number of people on here that are happy with there napa clutch. I will be doing the work myself, i don't trust my truck to just any mechanic. ? i guess we shall see how "bad" i will be installing it next sat.

who knows maybe the napa clutch will make my doors fall off too
Old 09-04-2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by tinbanger
i suppose, there are a number of people on here that are happy with there napa clutch. I will be doing the work myself, i don't trust my truck to just any mechanic. ? i guess we shall see how "bad" i will be installing it next sat.

who knows maybe the napa clutch will make my doors fall off too
I think everything will probably be fine,just some of these after-market clutches are Really noisy,in neutral with clutch engaged all I hear is Rattle,can't hear the diesel engine. I would put the stock set-up back in mine but don't have the money to spare.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 PM

When the inevitable happens,I'll probably install an SBC OFE. I've got a Fluidamper in the garage also to help with the engine spikes. Do to nagging smoke issues with my Smarty,I'm back to stock power. This should milk the nice,quiet stocker.
Old 09-04-2010, 08:13 PM

I think everything will probably be fine,just some of these after-market clutches are Really noisy,in neutral with clutch engaged all I hear is Rattle,can't hear the diesel engine. I would put the stock set-up back in mine but don't have the money to spare.
hopefully my free flowing exhaust will drown out that noise
Old 09-08-2010, 09:47 PM

My truck rattles real bad when I shut it off, could that be cause of the dual mass? Got an 06 cummins
Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM

Depress the clutch and leave it in neutral until the engine shuts off. It minimizes the rattle. Yes,its the dmf.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM

Ok I understand its the DMF, but what I mean is there something wrong with it and keeping the clutch in just helps or is it normal?

Quick Reply: Napa Single Mass Flywheel Conversion