3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Mobil1 5W-40 Synthetic $22.00

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No our motors do not come with synthetic.
And no our transmisssions and differentials do not come from the factory with synthetics either. ATF +4 is a group III base stock(it is from petroleum) and some good synthetic modifiers were added by a company called Lubrizol to complete the blend. Your tranny and differential come with an oil in them that has a small quantity of friction modifiers for shear and shudder control. That small quantity of additive is synthetic. Even in the old Dana rear ends they would add a few ounces of synthetic friction modifier to eliminate shudder. This link is to the SAE paper on the developement of ATF +4 by Chrysler in about 1989 http://u225.torque.net/cars/tech/trans/982674.pdf . Good reading, although a bit technical.
Mike
###
Originally Posted by pet05
While that is true, our trucks DO COME from the factory filled with SYNTHETIC:

Transmission Fluid
Differential Fluid

I do believe that the main reasons why synthetics are NOT used in the Cummins from the factory is that they are REALLY BUILT TOUGH. Theses engines are overbuilt and this alone is a HUGE advantage and can offset NOT using synthetic motor oil.

Now, if the engines were built mediocre, synthetic engine oil would make a much more noticeable difference. That is why vehicles with engines that are built with average durability see HUGE advantages and longevity when running synthetic over conventional oil.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SSminnow
Never meant to sound like I was talking about others, even if I was talking in the third person. I am talking about me and my use or need.
Understood & point taken. Things sometimes come across in different ways on the forum. Thanks for clarifying.

Peace.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:52 AM

Ya I am running it,I can say one thing I did notice is it still looks "fresh" after about 2,000 miles,no probloms with it at all.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Banned

Understood & point taken. Things sometimes come across in different ways on the forum. Thanks for clarifying.

Peace.

Hey no problem. I felt it was heading in the wrong direction because of a simple misunderstanding, and did not want it to get out of hand.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by D-Roc
Do I read this right that you were running 5W20? In your Cummins?
yeap!
kept it in for 2 oil changes(20,000miles) only burned out a quart / oil change
went back to 5W40 b/c it is easier to get a hold of
Old 09-22-2007, 08:06 PM

Since I didn't see the Mobil1 5w-40 listed in that TDR article about oils and the Rotella-T 5w-40 additive package rated so well in that article, I bought 6 gals (WalMart $16.24@gal) and changed out my truck & 2 Bimmers.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by louielouie
Since I didn't see the Mobil1 5w-40 listed in that TDR article about oils and the Rotella-T 5w-40 additive package rated so well in that article, I bought 6 gals (WalMart $16.24@gal) and changed out my truck & 2 Bimmers.

Did you change your oil using the same type on your truck and a BMW?
Old 09-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by SSminnow
Did you change your oil using the same type on your truck and a BMW?
Yes but it's still "SJ, SL" rated which seems to be adequate. My wife has hers in gear as soon as she releases the key from starting in the morning and a short trip (<11 miles) to work. The current "euro spec" oils are 5w-40 and over $25 @ gallon so it seemed a no-brainer.

Last edited by louielouie; 09-23-2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: missing space
Old 09-23-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm just throwing this out there, but I run Royal Purple 15 40 from www.longrider.com and for $20.00 bucks and gallon and my 8 thousand mile oil changes, I think it's worth it... I can't stand to go over 8. I used to be the 3,000 to 3,500 mile guys MAX on a oil change.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:49 AM

This Is My First Diesel. I've Been Running Synthetic In My Gassers For A Few Years Now And I Think That It Is Much Better Than Dino. I Haven't Changed To Synthetic In My Diesel Yet, Only 6000 Miles On It, But Plan To Soon. Just A Thought Now!!! But A Lot Of People Are Saying That Synthetic Will Improve Your Mpg By 0.5-1 Mpg, So If That Is True Then Think About This , If You Change Your Oil At 7500 Mile Intervals And You Average 15mpg At $2.75/gal, Then You Are Paying $1,375 For That 7,500 Miles, Plus Dino Oil At $12.00/gal = $36.00+1375=$1411, Now If You Get 16 Mpg With Synthetic Then It Cost You $1,289.06 In Fuel + Synthetic At $25.00/gal = $1,364.06 For That 7,500 Miles, Now That To Me Is Not A Waste Of Money But A Savings Of $46.94 Over That 7500 Miles, Now Somebody's Milage May Vary, But If Increases Your Milage And Decreases The Wear On The Motor And Saves You Money Then Why Not Use It, That's Just Common Sense. Now I May Be Wrong But Will Let You Know When I Check My Mpg's With The Synthetic. Now Even With Only A Half Mpg Difference Your Cost Will Be 1330.65 + 75.oo = 1405.65 For That 7500 Miles Which Only Saves You 5 Dollars But You Are Using Synthetic, It's Better For The Motor. You'll Have To Do The Math Depending On What Your Price For Fuel Is And How Much You Spend On Oil, If It Saves You Money Then Why Not, If It Doesn't Save You Money And You Haven't Had Any Problems With Your Engine Using Dino, Then Keep Using Dino. To Each There Own?
Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 AM
Banned

Once again, THAT IS NOT TRUE! There are hundreds and hundreds of SCIENTIFIC studies done by independent labs that show SYNTHETIC oil is a superior oil vs. conventional. It is NOT even debatable.

To state otherwise, is like stating there is NO evidence that asbestos causes health problems.

To state that synthetic oil does the same thing that conventional oil does, is a lie. What we are "discussing" is that IF our Cummins engines can get more longevity from using it. Due to the heavy duty design of the Cummins, measuring the benefits of synthetic is more difficult to do.

I can tell you that synthetic will PUMP FASTER and have MORE FLOW (90% more flow from studies) than conventional oil in below freezing temperatures. THAT IS A FACT!

You can mod all day, I have NO PROBLEMS, I will not even tell you that it is a waste of money. It is YOUR truck and YOUR money. Your comments, "waste of money" has been thrown AT ME and others who choose to use synthetic. If YOU don't want to use it, then don't, telling others it is a "waste of money" attacks the person. NOBODY here told you that your MODS are a waste of money. Yet YOU constantly keep posting that comment about synthetic oil users. If every time you made a post about some MOD that you did, then some poster would come along and would keep stating, "what a waste of money". Think about it...

You can state your disagreement but your constant, "waste of money" comments are unnecessary. People who do that are called "trolls" as they are not contributing to the posting, but simply attacking and making snide remarks at the poster and topic at hand.
You say, "Your comments, "waste of money" has been thrown AT ME and others who choose to use synthetic. If YOU don't want to use it, then don't, telling others it is a "waste of money" attacks the person. "

And telling us that synthetics is soooo far superior to conventional oil really attack the ones that know differently and blind sides the ones that don't know.

The statement about cold pumpability is the only one that has some what merit.

The one about oils operating in 1400* temperatures in your turbo is another half truth. No oil synthetic or conventional will not coke up if operated at 1400*. Heat them both to 1400* and see what happens. Don't remember the actual difference but it's only like 20-30* difference in the flash point from most conventional oils and synthetics. I might be wrong on that one. I'am sure someone will correct me if I'am wrong.

The fact is you can find more conventional oils on the shelf listed as synthetic than there are actual synthetics. Just about every conventional oil on the shelf could be listed as synthetic due to modern day refining process. Conventional oils are far superior from yesterday oils and thats were the synthetic guys are spouting there information from. They use yesterdays technology and testing of conventional oils and use the information to misinform people. Yes, MISINFORM people. That's the biggest gripe I have against synthetics.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAST
This Is My First Diesel. I've Been Running Synthetic In My Gassers For A Few Years Now And I Think That It Is Much Better Than Dino. I Haven't Changed To Synthetic In My Diesel Yet, Only 6000 Miles On It, But Plan To Soon. Just A Thought Now!!! But A Lot Of People Are Saying That Synthetic Will Improve Your Mpg By 0.5-1 Mpg, So If That Is True Then Think About This , If You Change Your Oil At 7500 Mile Intervals And You Average 15mpg At $2.75/gal, Then You Are Paying $1,375 For That 7,500 Miles, Plus Dino Oil At $12.00/gal = $36.00+1375=$1411, Now If You Get 16 Mpg With Synthetic Then It Cost You $1,289.06 In Fuel + Synthetic At $25.00/gal = $1,364.06 For That 7,500 Miles, Now That To Me Is Not A Waste Of Money But A Savings Of $46.94 Over That 7500 Miles, Now Somebody's Milage May Vary, But If Increases Your Milage And Decreases The Wear On The Motor And Saves You Money Then Why Not Use It, That's Just Common Sense. Now I May Be Wrong But Will Let You Know When I Check My Mpg's With The Synthetic. Now Even With Only A Half Mpg Difference Your Cost Will Be 1330.65 + 75.oo = 1405.65 For That 7500 Miles Which Only Saves You 5 Dollars But You Are Using Synthetic, It's Better For The Motor. You'll Have To Do The Math Depending On What Your Price For Fuel Is And How Much You Spend On Oil, If It Saves You Money Then Why Not, If It Doesn't Save You Money And You Haven't Had Any Problems With Your Engine Using Dino, Then Keep Using Dino. To Each There Own?
The fuel savings is coming from marketing (advertising) of synthetic oils on the theory of 5 weight is lighter and there fore flows better there fore should increase fuel mileage until full warm up of engine. How many miles before your engine oil is a 40 weight oil?

Remember 40 weight is 40 weight oil, doesn't matter if it's conventional or synthetic. There's no magic between 40 weights of each oil as the synthetics would have people beleave. Yes there is some slight difference between them but only slightly. Enough to say superior, hardly. We could on all day about the differences and studies and what not only to come to the same conclusion as we stand right now. Each there own.
Synthetics are not any slipperier or less friction than modern day conventional oils with additives. Again, yesterday marketing and advertising gimmicks.

You or I could do the same tests on conventional oils and synthetic oils and make them come out to whatever the end results we want them to be.

I've been around long enough and done enough testing and experienmenting on my own equipement day in and day out to realize most of this stuff is a plasebal effect.

I've done at one time or another done just about every thing anyone has come up with to increase fuel mileage and nothing has worked as people put it out to be..

Air modifications= worked while I drove to save fuel.
Power modules that claim increased MPG = worked while I drove to save fuel.
Exhaust modifications = worked while I drove to save fuel.
Switched to synthetic fluids in everything on a truck that came factory stock with conventional fluids ie. transfer case, transmission, front differential, rear differential, engine oil. They were changed out with a synthetic oil/fluid that likes to advertise on this site so much by the guys that sell it. = worked while I drove to save fuel.

I've even come on here myself and made the rediculous claims that each of those modifications or fluid changes made an improvement. Only to find out after going back to driving normal those so called improvements were no longer there.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluebull
The fuel savings is coming from marketing (advertising) of synthetic oils on the theory of 5 weight is lighter and there fore flows better there fore should increase fuel mileage until full warm up of engine. How many miles before your engine oil is a 40 weight oil?

Air modifications= worked while I drove to save fuel.
Power modules that claim increased MPG = worked while I drove to save fuel.
Exhaust modifications = worked while I drove to save fuel.
Switched to synthetic fluids in everything on a truck that came factory stock with conventional fluids ie. transfer case, transmission, front differential, rear differential, engine oil. They were changed out with a synthetic oil/fluid that likes to advertise on this site so much by the guys that sell it. = worked while I drove to save fuel.

I've even come on here myself and made the rediculous claims that each of those modifications or fluid changes made an improvement. Only to find out after going back to driving normal those so called improvements were no longer there.

VERY well said!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 AM

My Jeep and my GTO came with mobil 1 on the factory fill. I change the GTO at 5,000 miles, and I'm gonna change the Jeep at 10,000 miles. Jeep takes a mobil 1 5w30 esp oil, 11 bucks a quart at the dealer, 10 quarts to fill the little 3.0.

Dodge gets dino oil, it runs around the farm in the dusty conditions. I'd rather change the oil more often than run expensive oil in it. I change at 5,000 miles.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BEAST
But A Lot Of People Are Saying That Synthetic Will Improve Your Mpg By 0.5-1 Mpg, So If That Is True Then Think About This , If You Change Your Oil At 7500 Mile Intervals And You Average 15mpg At $2.75/gal, Then You Are Paying $1,375 For That 7,500 Miles, Plus Dino Oil At $12.00/gal = $36.00+1375=$1411, Now If You Get 16 Mpg With Synthetic Then It Cost You $1,289.06 In Fuel + Synthetic At $25.00/gal = $1,364.06 For That 7,500 Miles, Now That To Me Is Not A Waste Of Money But A Savings Of $46.94 Over That 7500 Miles, Now Somebody's Milage May Vary, But If Increases Your Milage And Decreases The Wear On The Motor And Saves You Money Then Why Not Use It, That's Just Common Sense. Now I May Be Wrong But Will Let You Know When I Check My Mpg's With The Synthetic. ?
For one, your math is a little off. I pay $8.** for a gallon of Shell Rotella, not $12 like you used. So, that number is: $1399, not $1411. So, the difference is now is $34.94 IF you can squeak out 1 more MPG, and that is a BIG IF. I have never tried to see if I could get better fuel mileage on Synthetic (obviously since I have never run synthetic) so I can not dispute those numbers you are throwing out there, BUT I have never seen anyone IN PERSON (in other words, someone that is not on the internet making the claim) claim they have gotten better fuel economy with synthetic oil.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 5W-40 Synthetic $22.00