3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

MMO+PS a no-no?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMO+PS a no-no?

I stopped to fill up my 05. A guy in a 97 pulled up the next hose and saw me pouring in my MMO+PS and he said" I wouldn't put that in any diesel" Especially yours. He went on to explain our new injection is 30,000PSI compared to his 15,000 psi. He said anything with bio products (peppermint oils, etc)in it will make carbon build up on the injectors. He said to just run straight diesel and all will be fine.(He is a diesel mechanic) older hippie looking guy.)
He also said not to use #2 hoime heating oil, because that too has bio products in it.
Whats your take on this?
Old 08-22-2005, 04:34 PM

My take is this. All diesel is going to have bio in it soon. I think that they just passed it and it starts in 07. I suffer from CRS so I could be confused. So with that said we are all in trouble if we can't run bio or additives. I think he is confused.

Usta
Old 08-22-2005, 04:40 PM

He also did mention the new diesel, he said its going to be lower sulfer content, wich is good for us....
Old 08-22-2005, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: MMO+PS a no-no?

Originally posted by jon05ctd
I stopped to fill up my 05. A guy in a 97 pulled up the next hose and saw me pouring in my MMO+PS and he said" I wouldn't put that in any diesel" Especially yours. He went on to explain our new injection is 30,000PSI compared to his 15,000 psi. He said anything with bio products (peppermint oils, etc)in it will make carbon build up on the injectors. He said to just run straight diesel and all will be fine.(He is a diesel mechanic) older hippie looking guy.)
He also said not to use #2 hoime heating oil, because that too has bio products in it.
Whats your take on this?
I don't think so. Cummins said up to B5 is fine for our HPCR systems. I don't know how bio will carbon up quicker than #2 since it's a cleaner burning fuel.
I run PS+MMO in every tank because it's cheap insurance for a very expensive injection system.

MikeyB
Old 08-22-2005, 05:59 PM

By June 1st 2006 80% of highway diesel produced at refineries must meet the new 15 ppm silfur limit. The remaining 20% can meet the current 500 ppm limit. (it is unlukely you will be able to find the 500 ppm)
Model year 2007. All truck diesel engines with model year 2007 will be desidned to only operate on 15 ppm higway diesel fuel.
June 1st 2007. 10 Sulfur limit for non road [B] diesel is lowered from th current 5000 ppm to 500 ppm. 2) HOme heating , including diesel fuel used in stationary sources can continue to use 5000ppm sulfur limit indefinetly. 3) Jet fuel continue to have sulfur concentrations up to 3000 ppm. 4) Small refiners, tranmix prcessors, and refiners using early produced credits will be able to produce 5000 ppm limit diesel until June 1 2010.
June1st 2010. 1) All highway , Ag, and construction diesel applications must meet 15 ppm sulfur limit specs. 2) Locomotive and marine apps can continue using the 500 ppm diesel until June 1st 2012 3) Production of 5000 ppm sulfur non-road diesel is eliminated. 4)There is no change to heating oil, including diesel used in stationary sources. They can continue to use 5000 ppm fuel but it must be marked with an approved marker and not be used in mobile non road enigines. 5) Small refineries, transmix processors, and refineries using early produced credits can continue to make 500 ppm until june 1st 2014.
June 1st 2012. Locomotive and Marine diesel apps must convert from 500 ppm to 15 ppm
June 1st 2014. Production of 500 ppm diesel is eliminated. As we all know sulfur is a damned if you do and damned if you dont type of thing. It mixes with water vapor to make acid and will shorten the life of your bearings yet on the other hand by itself makes for a good lubricant. We are going to have to use something to compinsate for this or we will be eating LP's Ip's and injectors like mad, beit Bio or synthetic.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:05 PM

CSAGrey said what I said he just said it better.

Usta
Old 08-23-2005, 09:54 AM

Re: MMO+PS a no-no?

Originally posted by jon05ctd
Whats your take on this?
More like 22,000 on HPCR engines and 10,000 on VP44 engines.

I think the high idle time/low duty cycle stuff is what causes the injector fouling.

Maybe his point was that the injectors are going to carbon up regardless of how much MMO+PS you use, so save your money for getting the injectors cleaned or the tips replaced (with bigger ones of course).
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Won't a heavy right foot help rid of the carbon?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:20 PM

It should help. But I think you would need to put more load then empty WOT accels.

Unless of course your 8 micron fuel filter passed a 5 micron particle to your 3 micron injector hole and its stuck.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Banned

The smallest injector nozzle holes that I've seen are about 7 thou or so. It is very hard to manufacture them in production quantities smaller than that (using current technology.)

7 thou = 0.275 mm = 275 microns.

Nothing that gets passed by a properly working 8 micron filter is going to plug a nozzle hole.

Furthermore, the CR injectors have an edge filter built into them to keep debris out that is larger than the nozzle orifice holes.

What the 8 micron particles do to the CP3 and injectors as far as wear goes is an entirely different story.

BTW: Biofuels have very GOOD lubricity and cetane. Lubricity helps pumps and injectors live and high cetane fuels burn quickly and cleanly. Burning a high cetane fuel is akin to advancing the timing on the engine.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by Superduty
The smallest injector nozzle holes that I've seen are about 7 thou or so. It is very hard to manufacture them in production quantities smaller than that (using current technology.)

7 thou = 0.275 mm = 275 microns.

Nothing that gets passed by a properly working 8 micron filter is going to plug a nozzle hole.

Furthermore, the CR injectors have an edge filter built into them to keep debris out that is larger than the nozzle orifice holes.

What the 8 micron particles do to the CP3 and injectors as far as wear goes is an entirely different story.

BTW: Biofuels have very GOOD lubricity and cetane. Lubricity helps pumps and injectors live and high cetane fuels burn quickly and cleanly. Burning a high cetane fuel is akin to advancing the timing on the engine.
Good infor there Superduty, thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:59 PM

Doesn't Bosch make the current fuel systems for the Cummins? Doesn't Bosch recommend use of a fuel additive due to the poor quality of diesel fuels?

You gotta wonder about people you never met before who tell you how to do stuff.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Lee S
Doesn't Bosch make the current fuel systems for the Cummins? Doesn't Bosch recommend use of a fuel additive due to the poor quality of diesel fuels?

You gotta wonder about people you never met before who tell you how to do stuff.
Yes, Bosch liscenses the fuel system to Cummins. They also sell it to Isuzu for the Duramax.

If they recommended it, wouldn't it be in the owners manual somewhere?

I agree you should always wonder about people whether they tell you how to do something or not.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"Yes, Bosch liscenses the fuel system to Cummins. They also sell it to Isuzu for the Duramax.

If they recommended it, wouldn't it be in the owners manual somewhere?"

No, Dodge would be the one making the recommendations, and with the variety of additives, each not being controlled in how it's used, it shouldn't be a surprise that they don't recommend anything; yup, if 4 ounces are good then 20 gotsa be the goodest !

Bosch has stated in some reports that a number of fuel samples in CA were below their recommendations for lubricity, I suspect it's the same elsewhere, and with the drive to low sulfer fuel it's going to get worse. Some areas in Canada seem to have bad fuel problems as there has been a rash of fuel pump failures there, and in the last thread on the subect in this forum that I ran across I asked if anyone with failures had been using a fuel addtive - no one replied.

I consider a good fuel additive as relatively cheap insurance for lubricity, I use Stanadyne, it helps to prevent 'waxing' or gelling in cold weather, and it does run smoother, noticeably in colder weather.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. MMO helps prevent injector clogging. Since we now have low sulfer fuel, the MMO helps, alot! Bio helps replace the lubricity that we now lack because of low sulfer. To many benefits of MMO in my opinion. The addition of PS is also a big plus for cleaning the injectors. The mix is a benefit to all who run it. The proof is there. For those who don't run the mix, IMO, will likly have some issues down the road, in time.. If you have not yet tried the mix, you should!

Quick Reply: MMO+PS a no-no?