3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I see that some trucks don't engauge in park all the way. Now here's my question, (I do understand the alarm will go off if the door is open while in another gear) but most have said that even when there truck is in park, it has moved on them? Is the Alarm mounted inside the transmission on the shift lever gear for park????? Or only when the door is open. I mean having an alarm go off when the door is open and the tranny isn't truely in park (either by the shift lever or actual transmission) going to fix it??? Yes the alarm would help if it was inside the transmission, but other than that if it's in park, the alarms going off, it can still roll backwards correct????

Also, I believe it's only the horn that goes off when the door is open?? I know when I put in my air horn I got a 2 way on switch and put the factory horn wire to the middle, then one on to the air horn, one on to the regular horn, so I can actually switch to the one I want. This may also be good as if you put the horn button in the middle no sound, so if they do implement this as part of a reflash they do in the future (my guess is that if anything is wrong with your truck and they have to flash it, that it will be part of the new flash anyway) you could switch the horn to off, and open the door????

What will they think of next??? Why not have an alarm like that when your fuel pump is about to die??????
Old 03-25-2006, 07:19 PM

if your like me and use the emergency brake ALL the time, then you don't want this annoying recall....

Go to this thread for more info
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=97010
Old 03-25-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by ryans05
has anyone got this recall slip in the mail got mine.its about the tranny not going into park. i guess now i have to go to the lovly dealer I HATE MY DEALER. but i guess it will be good to have done.
I'd definitely refuse it. Seems more intrusive than anything. If I wanted the vehicle to do all my thinking for me, I would've bought a GM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:31 PM

Just got mine today, and tore it up. Considering I back into my parking space at work EVERY day with the door open (have to, parking is TIGHT, especially with a dually), this AIN'T gonna happen for me.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:50 PM

recall

I just received a recall notice. They want to install an "out of park alarm."
Is this a software upgrade or does it involve more?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:56 PM

Same here, got it today in the mail.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:35 PM

Got mine today, too...
Old 03-25-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
got mine too...
Old 03-25-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your gonna regret it if you do it. My '06 came with it and it is a major PITA. If you open your door while backing, the horn starts honking and lights start flashing. I would NOT recommend doing it.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:11 AM

Exclamation recall

just got a recall notice to install an out-of-park alarm system.I never had any problems with mind but I guess I better have it done , better safe then sorry right??
Old 03-26-2006, 09:24 AM

that is a negative! i will never get that edited by admin thing installed on my truck why would you want one more thing to go wrong that you have no control over (the cpu controls everthing ) "not a big fan of that i think i can put my own truck in park the proper way ALL THE WAY DOWN RIGHT?

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-08-2007 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Profanity
Old 03-26-2006, 03:04 PM

ok...

I've noticed that I can get the park indicator to light but not be in park... I've also had the reverse indicator light and not been in reverse. I guess people have had it jump into reverse after getting the park indicator to light?

That's kind of concerning... but this fix is a real kludge!

I think I'll pass. Hitching and unhitching I'm in/out of the truck all the time in park, neutral and backing up w/door open... I'm all for safety, but waking up all the neighbors 'cause I open my door ! After I find a Fuel Pressure Gauge I've got a CP3 replacement approved under warranty. Will the dealer try to insist on doing this or can I just pass on it?

If anyone has other work done now with this re-call pending, let us know what "policy" you encounter. THANKS!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Explain to the dealer that you REALLY don't want it. Some will be willing to work with you. I think a few angry letters to Chrysler might smarten them up. Get your pens out, guys.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:30 PM

Is this recalled required? My dealer is telling me that if I bring my truck in for any work, they are REQUIRED to install this recall. Why is it mandatory to install a "fix" that does absolutely nothing to address the root cause of the problem a few have experienced. I called the Dodge help line at 1-800-853-1403 and they said I could refuse the recall. I need some warranty work next week, but I do NOT want this recall done.

What can I do to avoid this recall and still get my other work done?
Old 03-26-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
I just got my truck Thursday night...Verified last night that it does not have this bug....I mean feature!

As part of PDI, aren't they suposed to make sure all the recalls are up to date?

Tony
I' bet it has it.....If you have your seatbelt on it won't go off....Try it without the seatbealt...put in R and open the door with no brake applied! It will go nuts!

Quick Reply: Merged - Park Recall / Reverse honk "feature"