3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Maintenance-Fuel Additive-Fuel Filters

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance-Fuel Additive-Fuel Filters

After reading a bunch of post about fuel additives and such, I wanted to know your take on my plans.

I want to change the fuel filter with a NAPA Gold Fuel Filter, and add Howes Meaner Power Kleaner, but should I put the additive in before I change the filter so if I plug up a filter it would be an older one? Then I can put in a new one?

Also is there any thing wrong with the NAPA filter that I should be aware of?

Are there any other things I should be looking at as to engine maintenance besides oil changes, fuel filter, air filter?

Any tricks or ideas that you use?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I would replace the filter before adding the cleaner. You don't want the cleaner to be attacking all the gunk that's already caught in the old filter.

As far as the filter goes, I always use Dodge or Fleetguard filters, but I believe the Napa Gold is a premium brand and can't see it being a problem.

For other maintenance, the valve lash should be checked and adjusted every few years, and I like to replace the valve cover gaskets at the same time.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:35 PM

power service is a good additive ive been using it for years on my gen two.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM

I used the NAPA fuel filter, 3585XE, and it has been fine. It's their numeric numbering for WIX filters and per my local NAPA dealer, they're filters are supplied by WIX's.

The filter is rated as 7 microns.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:41 PM

If something happens to your motor using a wix filter
they will deny your warranty. Baldwin makes a
5 micron filter.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:41 PM
JRD

Yes Baldwin makes a 5 micron filter as opposed to the NAPA which is a 7. The part number is PF7977. It fits perfectly into the stock canister. I use this one on my truck in addition to 2 micron set up I added myself, which I HIGHLY recommend you do in the near future.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:01 PM

It's better the smaller the microns, but how far do one go ? The manufacture uses Cummins products, and they aren't that tight of microns. Does he spend hundreds for a 2 micron system and plenty more in the long run for replacement parts ? It's smaller and better.

I worked for a company that has a compressor needing a 2 micron filter due to the extra tight tolerances. Compare our diesel engines to it, it's like comparing the space shuttle to a model A Ford.

When I bought my truck, the dealers shop mechanic told me, when they run out of stock supplied filters, they buy NAPA filters until the shipment arrives. The auto part store was close and it met their requirements. If he has the receipt, is there a problem for him ?

It seems it depends how much a owner has to spend that is the determining factor. I read some on this site spent several hundreds. If this is what they want and can afford, why not.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 PM

I went out and have been working in the garage, also went to NAPA and purchased the filter, Power Service, and some K&N Filter recharge kit.

I put in the fuel filter, but i first compared the stock one to the NAPA one, and noticed that the stock one had twice the amount of pleats.

I drive A LOT! Mostly highway commuting. I unfortunately work 100miles from home = 1000Miles a week. The truck is not my primary commuter, but I do drive it a lot.

My commuter is down now, but I hope to get it up and running again, and I hope to get the tranny flushed and adjusted. Along with the differentials.

I have always done my own work, but because of the lack of time, and because I don't know as much about THIS new truck, I would like to have the ***********(edit: I wrote: s tea ler ship and it put in
**) work on it for now.

I would like to see about putting on an extra tranny filter, oil filter, and possible a fuel filter.

I have a lot of questions, so what do you say?
Old 11-07-2010, 07:34 PM

One thing you'll find on this site is a lot of people hate the oil media filter. I have them on all my vehicles and understand why they don't like them. Most time people spray to much oil on them before they install the filter.

Make sure they are dry, and lightly oil.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:14 PM

X2 on the baldwin ff and only fleetguard oil filters 3894
Old 11-07-2010, 09:53 PM
JRD

My father runs only stock Dodge 7 mic fuel filters and hasnt had any problems in his truck. I just like having the piece of mind of having cleaner fuel run through my injectors. So I go with the PF7977 and the CAT 1R-0750.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:25 AM

Napa filters are fine if you use the EX model

If it doesn't have the EX put it back on the shelf.

The EX uses glass like the fleetguard stratapore/ not a paper media.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:42 PM

SnoFarmer: The filter I got is the EX (or XE can't remember), so that is good.

So today, I got my transmission serviced and got the service department to do a few other things for me. I tried to get the service dept at the place I bought the truck to program the fog lights to stay on when the high beams were on, but they wouldn't do it. I also asked if they would do a high idle / PTO program on it, and they wanted $$$. So because I did not like them in any way to start with, I declined the work. The dealership that I took it to today, did it all without charge! Of course, I brought in the steps that I got off the internet to do the programing.

It was great dealing with people that were at least acting nice to my face, they seem good overall.

I also got a new air filter indicator because mine was broken and lithia would not change it when I bought the truck there.

The transmission seems to be shifting smoother, and seems better all altogether. Although, I I only drove it through town about 5 miles, tomorrow I will check it out better.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 PM

--High Beam Fog Light Re-programing; to allow the fog lights to stay on when the high beams are on.
*have them go into the misc functions and disable the fog lights, then enable them with the "export" selection.

The first time they did the lights they did not disable it just chose the export and it did not work, so disable>finish, then start again by enable>export

--High Idle: I got this off another site written by "mjf6175"
*"As to a Dodge dealer not knowing how to turn on the PTO feature, well that should tell you alot about their diesel experience. Give one of their "technicans" the following instruction: with a star scan

Starscan Main Menu > ECU View > PCM > Misc. Functions > Idle Up Feature Enable > Start > Next > Next > Enable > Next > Finish "

This allows you to put it in high idle with you cruise control>set (this brings it to 1000RPMs)>accel to idle up or coast to reduce RPMs.

I figured I would post this since it was all done today!

I have since tested the transmission a little more and it seems to have fixed the 2-3 weird shift issue. I have also not yet noticed 1-2 shuffle.

It was a good day.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SnoFarmer
Napa filters are fine if you use the EX model

If it doesn't have the EX put it back on the shelf.

The EX uses glass like the fleetguard stratapore/ not a paper media.
I purchased a filter (3585XE) from Napa as an "emergency replacement" to keep under the seat of the truck.
Never can be too careful when travelling...

Quick Reply: Maintenance-Fuel Additive-Fuel Filters