Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/lost-rear-differential-low-lubricant-19713/)

wantabee 11-04-2002 04:44 PM

Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

In my earlier post I stated that my tranny packed it in....in actual fact the dealer dropped the tranny, it was fine...the culprit was no differential fluid which caused the rear axcle to seize and chew up the gears.<br><br>Please check your diffential fluids......DC is blaming the for an improper PDI and claiming this is not a warranty issue ???<br><br>The truck was 4 days old.....looks like parts will be 5 to 6 weeks getting here.....I am not impressed...asked for my money back...no go....they gave me a mini-van [yuk] tomorrow they can take that and shove it....if I am making a monthly payment on a Ram deisel...I want a Ram deisel to drive and nothing less :D<br><br>Take care guys and I will keep you posted<br><br>Wantabee

bulabula 11-04-2002 04:54 PM

Re: Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

MY DIFF IS LOW!!! , over?<br><br>After I read your post at TDR, and knowing of Phils plight, I figured I'd check mine.<br><br>I don't even feel like driving it over to the dealer right now. The plug was clean, &amp; no noise. I'll just pick some fluid for it tomorrow and fill it up. Then I'll give the bill to my dealer.<br><br>You know, I did call my dealer, but unfortunately no one was there to answer my questions (and Concern), but the fella on the phone said that I should be able to dip my finger into it with the plug removed. nope, nadda.<br><br>Hopefully I caught it in time. I feel like I owe someone at this site a beer. Jack?

bulabula 11-04-2002 05:05 PM

Re: Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

As I watch the number of views increase on this thread, I would stongly advise you folks with an '03 to go get your 3/8 socket drive and put on some work clothes and get underneath your truck, open it up and look for yourselves.<br><br>I needed a flashlight, and it took less than 3 minutes.<br><br>Guess I'll check the front diff later just to be safe - my son has a HS football game in a few.

wantabee 11-04-2002 05:12 PM

Re:Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

bulabua:<br><br>Make sure you use the new lubricant for the anti-slip if it is required.....otherwise they may not cover your warrenty<br><br>Wantabee

The Boss Hog 11-04-2002 05:41 PM

Sorry to hear about the rearend. There can be no excuse for that &gt;:( I had a similar situation on a new 74 (?) Plymouth Trailduster. The finger pointing between the dealership and Chysler soured me soo bad, I have not had another Chrysler product since. I sure hope I have not made a mistake on this one. Please keep us informed.<br><br>The Boss Hog

pwabbott 11-04-2002 07:24 PM

Wantabee, sorry about your rear end. Mine came 1 1/2 quarts low on differential lubricant. I posted this last week on this forum. Local dealer topped it with 1 1/2 synthetic GL-5 American axles do not require a limited slip additive. Rear end whine becomes extremely loud between 65 &amp; 70. According to diagnostic chart, it is the rear drive pinion bearing which is making noise. Other bearings are probably affected. Tell your dealer about mine as it is a manufacturing problem, not dealer problem.

Wife gave dinner call, had to run for awhile. If you find your Rear axle is low go to dealer for fluid. They will fill out a work order with your VIN and mileage. It becomes a matter of record if you have future problems. Evidence that it was delivered without the necessary synthetic GL-5. Besides the synthetic GL-5 is expensive filling is part of drive train warranty, not maintenance.

I am contacting my selling dealer with this information on low rear axle lube being a problem. This may prevent future problems on some yet unsold vehicles. :'( :'(

pwabbott 11-04-2002 07:54 PM

Wantabee &amp; Bulabula, which rear axle do you have 3.73 or 4.10?<br>Is it all axles or just one ratio? <br> ??? ???

bulabula 11-04-2002 08:32 PM

I've got 4.10 Anti-slip. I just checked both diff's. The front is ok, and I figure the rear is maybe a little low but fortunately not &quot;dry&quot;. The tip of my pinky is wet when stuck into the hole. It helps that I have 4x4 so the truck is high enough that I can actually get up in there and look into the fill plug and see the fluid.<br><br>I've talked to my dealer, and am debating if its worth my while to take a day off of work to have them look at it, or just top it off myself.<br><br>Both plugs had a light film on the magnets.

Hunter 11-05-2002 12:10 AM

Phil and wannabee<br><br>Ok, wannabee has a rear end out on an auto tranny? Correct?<br><br>And Phil has no problem with his end? correct?<br><br>Let's get the record straight here gentleman, you are worrying all us new time owners and prospective owners.<br><br>Hunter

wantabee 11-05-2002 06:15 AM

My rear end is a 3.73 in a auto tranny...but the tranny is fine<br><br>Wantabee

pwabbott 11-05-2002 06:41 AM

My rear end has serious problems too, some damage, to at least rear drive drive pinion bearing from the sound of it. I have appt. with local dealer for warranty repairs. Mine is not urgent like Wantabee's as it is still driveable.

TPilaske 11-05-2002 07:42 AM

WOW! Have all you guys called the customer service folks here in detroit? ??? <br><br>Tony

wick 11-05-2002 07:59 AM

Re:****Lost Rear Differential- Low on Lubricant

I have a automatic 3.73 gears. And that thing was bone dry. I called my selling dealer and he is like BS, I said Don i have been working on cars for years and this is bone dry. I could not even get my pinky wet, but I did scrap the gears so there is some fluid present in the housing. So I am going to have it serviced and have them pull the cover to make sure there is no damage. I figure it should be ok. I only have 102 m/ks on it. <br>They give me any I will lodge a big enough complaint against the dealer and have a bunch of friends call in complaints to the division that maybe we can get it bad enough so that they can loose there 5 star dealer rating.. This Dodge is putting a bad taste in my mouth. [yuk]

wantabee 11-05-2002 08:24 AM

Boys:<br><br>This problem is obviously much larger than we may realize. What I have done is called the customer assisatnce line to open uo a file for future reference incase of complications 30 to 40 G's down the road. I also suggested that they do an immediate recall on these american axles to check the lubricant level...as it is a safety concern....my wheel studs cracked off when the the gears and side axle seized...lucky we were not in an accident :o<br><br>The more we complain...the quicker they should get their act straightened out!!!! I will keep you posted on the progess on my situation.<br><br>Regards and best of luck<br><br>Wantabee

wantabee 11-05-2002 08:28 AM

One more pont:<br><br>In my case Chrysler is pointuing the finger at the dealer for completion of an improper PDI....obviously DC is attempting to pass the buck...the problem is at the factory....just my thoughts....voice your concerns to the dealer and call the customer assistance line!!<br><br>Wantabee

DNAT 11-05-2002 09:04 AM

Wantabee, I'd also let DC know you're going straight to Transport Canada with a safety complaint against their product. SierraPhil and co., I'd do the same with DOT. From the sounds of it, DC has a pretty crap attitude. PDI used to be one more way of soaking the end customer for another grand...now they say it's to make sure the truck was assemble correctly??? ??? [eyecrazy]<br><br>I figure a bunch of calls in to DOT and TC will get DC moving with a recall and a BIG apology. Hey, these are mini-mortgages we're talking about!<br>

wick 11-05-2002 09:13 AM

I talked to a friend who works at a Dodge dealer here in Chicago. He said that this is very common and he gets 2-3 in a week for complete o/hs. I asked him about the parts delay, he said that he does not know of any said that he has parts sitting in his dealer to repair them as they come in. I think u are getting the shaft wannabe... <br>For the couple of you that are just going to top off the fluid I would not. He said they are denying warranty claims on people who are adding there own fluid because they are not putting the correct fluid into it. He said there is also a Bulliten to add a friciton modifier to the fluid. just letting u know...

pwabbott 11-05-2002 10:49 AM

I don't advise adding fluid on 2003 vehicles delivered so far. Take it to the dealer so they have record of work order as evidence of a problem. You should be given a hard copy of the work order for your records. Keep all copies of work orders related to all problems.<br><br>As for denying warranty for adding fluid, federal law prohibits that in the US. Some dealers may try, but if you have proof that you added recommended fluids, they cannot deny warranty. Once you have added fluid yourself you have no evidence that it was delivered in a low condition. <br><br>Mandated Recalls don't happen unless a threshhold is reached, usually more than 5%. So far we know of only one total failure.<br>low fluid levels with resulting noise are not as yet failures. <br><br>My servicing dealer says there is no problem, repairs will be made under warranty. Don't draw and shoot the wrong guy.<br><br>Who assembled the axle, American Axle? Don't you put the correct lube in a finished component to protect parts in storage. DC may not be to blame.

bulabula 11-05-2002 11:03 AM

I just got off the phone with my service manager. We have American Axles in our trucks, not Dana. This was stated above too. Mine is the 11.5&quot;. He checked this morning with STAR Center, I think its a tech info center for DC.? (I was on the Metro subway in DC and had a lousy cell phone connection). Anyways, for my 11.5&quot; American Axle, the correct fluid level is approx 3/4&quot; to 1&quot; below the bottom of the hole. He explained that if the level is higher than that the fluid will blow out the vent on the top of the housing. My level is about 3/4&quot; below the hole (looking at my pinky). Could the owners manual be wrong?? I'm convinced I'm ok then. I'm securing from General Quarters and re-stowing all gear.<br><br>In SierraPhils orig thread, the user Nigel also reported the 1&quot; level below the fill hole.<br><br>For wannabee, I've been known to get in front of the appropriate face and do some micro-managing for them until they came around to my way of thinking and/or finding parts. I&quot;m sure they'll take good care of you.

wantabee 11-05-2002 11:12 AM

I was contacted by the dealer where my truck is being repaired...the service manager checked with enginering department of DC...the proper fluid levels for this axcle is 3/4 of a inch below the fill plug. They are apparaently saying now that my axle had the correct level of lubricant....it was the bolt that holds the rear hub that failed that caused this incident. Apparenly when the tire was taken off, the bolt was shread into many peices. Engineering is looking into the matter....we are going to have to give DC time to investigate and determine exactly what caused the part failure. Given my background in law enforcement...I felt obligated to report this incident to Transport Canada's Transport Safety Board (TSB)....to ensure this incident is fulling investigated...as not only did the bolt holding the wheel assembly fail....the studs holding the wheel were also sheared off and the side axle and housing was destroyed....this could have caused a major accident if the wheel locked up or the tire and hub fell off.The TSB will speak with their Americian counterpart in their investigation to ensure that this was an isolated incident. Hopefully there were no others...but if there were, obviously we have a legitimate safety concern for our families which must be addressed.<br><br>I will keep you informed as this progresses. I never dreamt in a million years that buying a new vehicle would be so stressful<br><br>Wantabee

pwabbott 11-05-2002 11:21 AM

Bulabula, I stuck my pinkie in to check and it came out dry. That is when I took a 10 gauge copper wire bent it &quot;L&quot; shaped and inserted, came out 1 1/2 inches below bend. So mine was definately low. Question is who is responsible for filling with lubricant, American Axle, D-C Plant, Delivering Dealer?

Not the Delivering Dealer, the vehicles are driven before they arrive at the Dealer. Driving without fluid would damage them before a Dealer could PDI. American Axle or D-C Plant? D-C quality control failed in every case. If mine had been shipped after being built instead of sitting for 3 weeks dealer would have had plenty of time for thorough pre-delivery. If it had been delivered immediately after arrival instead of sitting another 3 weeks it would again given dealer more time for pre-delivery.

??? ??? ???

DNAT 11-05-2002 11:22 AM

Well folks, 5% problems reported or not, a locked rear diff that sheared lug nuts on a wheel is a safety concern! Like he said, Wantabee was lucky he didn't get into a bad crack up. Imagine losing a rear wheel while pulling a 11000# 5er! Sub-contractor or not, DC finally releases the vehicle to the consumer, their responsibility in the end. Bickering between NASA and Thiokol about o-rings didn't erase the fact that 7 people died in the Challenger. Folks, this is a safety problem, plain and simple. If there's no TSB/DSB or recall and someone isn't surfing this forum, how would they know of potential significant problems with their vehicle. I would still at least query TC or DOT about the issue.

wantabee 11-05-2002 11:26 AM

Seirra:<br><br>You hit the nail right on the head...who is responsible?? Mine went through quality control inspection at the plant and a PDI.....I think all parties concerned need to brush up on their quality control. Don't get me wrong...I love this truck...but you don't expect this kind of a problem with a truck that is 4 days old!! If the checks and balances were followed all parties up the line to the point of delivery...we would in my opinion not be discussing this issue on this post.<br><br>Regards<br><br><br>Wantabee

bulabula 11-05-2002 12:07 PM

I guess I'm still a little confused about the cause of wantabee's casualty. I thought it was reported that there were no leaks in the diff. Then the dealer reports that the fluid level was correct - I'm thinking that without any leaks it must have been topped off properly when it failed. Diff then siezes, presumably due to a sheared bolt? and not due to a lack of lubrication. Sounds like a possible isolated material problem rather than a quality control or DC/dealer prep issue; or is someone blowing warm air up our skirts? <br><br>I think Phils low level situation brings up the biggest question on who is responsible, and I think it falls under DC's repsonsibility. I would hazard a guess that AA is contracted to deliver axles with fluid included; AA must have a procedure to test the diff's prior to shipment, and I would doubt they would test them dry. And I don't think DC would knowingly permit the guys to drive new vehicles off the assy line w/o oil in all parts of the drive train. I'm sure DC will end up footing the bill, and then having off-line discussions with AA concerning quality control.<br><br>I grew up in Detroit, and every year for a school field trip, we would visit the rouge plant in Dearborn and see the big ore carriers at one end of the plant, walking all the way through and watching guys squealing the tires of brand new cars off the line at the other end of the plant - I always wanted that job.

pwabbott 11-05-2002 05:23 PM

I e-mailed fleet manager at my selling dealer. He thanked me for the info and said he was having his checked. Also, he is alerting their service manager.

Wantabee, how can they say the fluid was at the proper level at the time of the failure. Could someone have added some to cover their backside. It has been done before. If there is no lubricant in the rear axle just imagine how much heat is generated at high speed. It is doubtful they will find evidence of defective parts since high temperature weakens steel and destroys its ability to withstand stress which in turn causes parts failure.

It is hard to conceive of a hub nut failure without fluid leaking out anyway. Maybe they hypothesized that correct fluid level was present since some may have been present after failure. I'm beginning to smell something. Keep us posted. [eyecrazy]

wantabee 11-05-2002 07:30 PM

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???<br><br>The dealer where my vehicle is located is saying there was sufficient fluid in the rear end when in failed. First there was insufficient...now there is sufficient??? If there was the right amount, why would a bolt which holds the hub on the axle shread?? I fully believe there was no sufficient oil in the differential and it seized. DC has decided to fly me in a complete new differential assembly from Mexico...the old assembly is being sent to engineering for testing..wether oil was added after the fact will able to be determined from a lab analysis and examination of the side axles etc..<br>Canadian Transport safety officials are keenly interetsed in the failure of this unit at low milage...be rest assured...DC will get to the bottom of this and if there was hanky panky committed at the dealers to cover up for a incomplete PDI...it will come out....they are not going to sacrifice the reputation of the '03 Heavy Duties to protect a possible slip up at the contracted supplier or a dealer. I am not comfortable with the explainations given to date...but the long and short of it is they are fixing my truck...and I have involved a goverment safety agency to ensure there are no other possible potential defects which could put the safty of others in question.<br><br>But lets have faith...DC has been very professional in dealing with me on this issue...they were made aware of the problem on the morning of the 8th and at 1630hrs est..a new differential is taken from a unit in Mexico and put on a plane. That is very good service which we should all expect....and in this instance they delivered. I am off that this occured to my vehicle, but my family and I are safe...we could have been in a very serious accident of worse ... I hope the action taken by DC corrects the problem...if there is any vibration in the drivetrain after the differential is put in.....the truck will not be leaving the lot until it is fixed. <br><br>This is unfortunate circumstances...but happens..DC is doing their best in my estimation to get to the bottom of it....I hope they do not let me down [undecided]<br><br><br>Wantabee

Mopar_Mudder 11-05-2002 08:40 PM

I just wanted to say that I really like you atitude in this unfortunate situation. I work in a service oriented job dealing with people and dozens of suppliers every day. Too many people think that things are perfect and nothing should ever go wrong with anything. Then they play the &quot;rich &quot; game with you. But any way I hope they get it all fixed up for you, you are a good customer I can tell.

pwabbott 11-05-2002 09:26 PM

Hey guys, I think we should suggest a possible solution to D-C for these rear end lubricant maybe a Gl-5 modifier would help. All they need to be singing again is a little Preparation H. [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

wick 11-06-2002 08:27 AM

I took mine over last night. 1 1/2 quarts low. Dealer topped it off and everything is ok...

pwabbott 11-06-2002 09:58 AM

Glad to hear your is OK, Wick. Keep in mind that there is a potential for problems to result as a result of under-fill. The drive pinion bearings are the most likely as they are under the most pressure and torque. Noise sneaks up and suddenly it's there. If you hear it under load only, its the rear bearing. If you hear it on coast, its the front bearing. Hope you never hear either.<br><br>Glad you have the documentation as proof if a problem does develop. ;)

Bluedresser 11-06-2002 10:26 AM

I called my dealer yesterday when I read the psot. He said that the dealership prep people use a lot of oil as well as trans. and diff. fluids while doing the predelivery checks. Apparantly low fluid levels from the factories is nothing new, but a thorough predelivery should fix it before it ever gets out the door. Even so, I'll keep my fingers crossed and my eyes open. ???

wantabee 11-06-2002 10:34 AM

Just got off the phone with my dealer...this has been a most unfortunate circumstance...but behind the scenes the dealer and DC have worked together to rectify this situation ASAP. I truely beleive that DC and the 5 star dealer system does stand for customer service...I feel that I have been very well served by all levels of DC. I truely beleive that there was sufficient lubricant in the differential...a faulty bearing was the cause of this Americian Axle failure.<br><br>The Principal at my dealership told me that a TSB has been issued on this axle to check bearings and rear end. I have not seen it....but I am sure the Canadian Transport Safety Boards intervention no doubt had a positive influence in the timely issuance of this TSB to ensure the safety of all new HD owners.<br><br>The long and short of it I feel like I have been in the trenches the past few days...sleepless nights etc....but looking back...DC and my dealer worked on this issue as fast as the could.....I am sure the truck will be in tip top shape when I receive it back.<br><br><br>Take Care...I will let you know when I get the truck back and my impressions.....thank you for your support and suggestions during this most difficult period. <br><br><br>Wantabee

Lil Dog 11-06-2002 11:27 AM

I'm glad all has turned out well.. I would think that the dealer would have gone to bat for you.. They are on the line as well and don't need the bad publisity...<br><br>Good luck on your new ride...<br><br>J-eh

Hunter 11-06-2002 10:05 PM

Ok gang<br><br>Went to the dealer today, 1 quart low (25%) on the rear end lube, 1 pint down in the front end, transfer case correct.<br><br>They had not heard of it at all, they are checking all the trucks on their lot, and recalling all their own customers that have purchased a vehicle to make sure the fluid is correct!<br><br>Plus, they checked the PDI list from DC, it says &quot;visually inspect the rear end, front end and transfer case for visible leaks&quot;<br><br>So, Wannabee, DC is not telling the dealer to open the cases up and look, just look for leaks (which makes sense) one would think the darn factory would make sure it was good to go prior to sending it to the dealer!<br><br>Hunter

pwabbott 11-06-2002 11:06 PM

As I said before I didn't believe it was the dealer's responsibility to check fluid in differential. After all these vehicles have various amounts of mileage when they get to the dealer. They should not be driven at all unless lubricants are at proper level. I have seen trailer axles delivered to RV factory. All are delivered with proper bearing packing from the axle manufacturer. <br><br>Would it be responsible for D-C to ship trucks without the proper oil in crankcase. How would any of us feel if our 2003 were delivered without enough engine oil to show on the dip-stick. Knowing it had been driven 4 miles before it reached the dealer, how would you feel.<br><br>D-C takes an occasional vehicle from the end of the assembly line and test drives it for up to fifty miles. My 98 Ram was delivered with a window sticker stating it had been driven up to fifty miles before shipping. I would have been furious if my 98 had been delivered without a full crankcase. <br><br>I think American Axle is to blame in this matter. I also think the TSB saying the correct level is not what the Owner's Manual states is a bunch of BS by American Axle to cover themselves because they know know they have shipped axles underfilled.<br><br>They are not a new manufacturer of axles. Since there is no dipstick designed into these axles why would they design them with the fill hole way above the proper fluid level? They know that it is a standard practice to fill differentials to the bottom of the fill hole where there is no dip-stick. <br><br>See how far you can safely stick your pinkie into the fill hole. I found the limit of my reach downward was about 3/4&quot;. <br><br>I prefer to have slightly more fluid than needed to lubricate and cool gears and bearings than to have bearing and gear failure. As low as the fill hole is I doubt it will be expelled from the differential vent. If they fear seal may fail with lubricant at a higher level, then the seals are of inferior. <br><br>The bottom of the fill hole should lie within the parameters of the proper fluid level or the differential cover has a defective design in my way of thinking.

alabat 11-07-2002 12:45 PM

I think IT IS the DEALERS responsibility to check out all fluid levels and operate all features to assure me that when I got my '03 that all was OK and Functioning. That is why they call it PDI!!<br><br>That said, I did speak to my service manager and he said that DC does NOT put Synethic rear end lube in at the factory. But that they do recomened it if you are doing a lot of towing.<br><br>I am going to change my rear gear oil this weekend for my own peace of mind and put in Mobil 1 gear lube.<br>

pwabbott 11-07-2002 01:24 PM

Byuram, If D-C quality control states sign off on the vehicle for shipping, they are saying it is OK to drive. If the rear axle is underfilled or unfilled it is not OK to drive. Such vehicles if delivered to dealer have damage already when they are delivered to the dealer as they have been driven without proper lubrication. These have are defective in the manufacturing process on delivery to the dealer. Adding fluid can't undo the damage, only replacement of damaged parts can. <br><br>Read Hunters post, &quot;they checked the PDI list from DC, it says 'visually inspect the rear end, front end and transfer case for visible leaks'&quot;. D-C does not expect the dealer to check axle fluid level. <br><br>I was visiting a mmanufacturing plant last year. In talking with a quality control supervisor he stated, &quot;our profits disappear quickly if we allow products to be shipped when defective. We can correct defects for $20 at the factory that may cost us Hundreds if they get to the dealer&quot;.<br><br>What is AAM's responsibility in this? They ship a finished component, the finished rear axle assembly, to the D-C Assembly Plant. Only they can be sure their product leaves their plant and eventually is delivered to the customer in good condition.

bulabula 11-07-2002 02:43 PM

Here are some possible rhetorical questions:<br><br>- Who put the blue paint marks on both of my fill plugs?<br>-Who put the white DOT on them?<br>- Were the diff's filled and plugs marked to indicate tampering? Or were they shipped dry and plugs marked anyway?<br><br>- Is my truck the only truck with blue paint marks and a white dot on the diff plugs? For three and a half pretty big ones, I never thought I'd be laying under a truck at night inspecting the things I did after owning it a week.<br><br>Pardon my cynicism, but why would any corporation in the business to make money (and that my friends is the bottom line here), even waste the time, effort, material cost of applying paint marks if THEY ALL disavow responsibility? Which it appears to me. We all know why, cuz it cuts into profits.<br><br>All I know is that someone turned both my plugs an additional 1/8 of a turn in prior to me picking it up. Jeez, I sincerely hope that they were inspected by someone rather than a monkey merely turning a wrench.<br><br>

FiverBob 11-07-2002 05:43 PM

WHO'S ON FIRST??? ??? IS THERE A SHORT STOP ANYWHERE? ARE WE SURE WHO MADE THE AXLE AND HOW FAR TO FILL IT? ???<br><br>This is about to get rediculous, and a bunch of us could be hurting beside the road trying to earn a living or out on vacation.<br><br>&quot;DC says 3/4&quot; below fill hole.&quot; &quot;American says 3/4&quot; to 1&quot;&quot;. One service man says the axle has Dino in it. Another says it is synthetic. <br><br>My manual, page 311, says the 11.5 axle is to have fluid 1/4&quot; plus or minus 1/4&quot; from the fill hole, which to me means a maximum of 1/2&quot; from the hole.<br><br>My manual, page 340, says GL-5 75W-90 Synthetic which to me means it has synthetic in it when delivered. <br><br>Now, who do we contact to get it right? I will be at my dealers tomorrow seeking answers. I have printed this whole thread out for the service manager and owner to see. We need the straight dope, guys.<br><br>VeryVeryConfusedBob

wantabee 11-07-2002 06:59 PM

Boys:<br><br>DC flew in a complete new axle assembly...test drove the truck and now there is a vibration at speeds over 100 km (60mph) in the steering shaft to the wheel. When the speed was increased to 100 to 120 km (66-72mph) there is a strong vibration throughout the front of the drivetrain. This was not in the truck before the axle broke. The technician feels it maybe some other part of the drivetrain...is awaiting direction from tech center. Has any other member experienced this vibration at these speeds?<br><br>I looked at the axle...the bearing totally disintergrated in many pieces....the only thing that was keeping the tire on the vehicle was the caliber from the new rear disk brakes. I revert to my earlier posts....we were very lucky not to have been involved in a serious crash. No one seems to know why the axle failed....with a serious vibration currently appearing throughout the drivetrain...I have to wonder is this vehicle safe??? <br>My position on this matter after owning a new HD Ram for 9 days, 3 &amp;1/2 od which I have driven, (the rest it has been in the shop) is that I am less than satisfied. The last time I checked in the mirror I did have have pointly ears or run in a circle on a tread mill.....I don't live in wood cuttings.....and I don't like being treated like a Guini pig [yuk]. As such...I have asked DC to take this vehcile for complete testing to determine the part failures .....I do not feel safe in this particular vehicle.....take it back...and give me a new one....with only 500miles on it,,,find and correct the defects and use it as a demonstrator at the dealer. Don't expect the customer to make payments on a vehicle which I do not have ...my dealer has informed my wife that he does not support the replacement of the vehicle....we should just sit back and let this run its course. Not good enough. If this is customer servuice...give us our money back... there are other brands of diesel trucks in town which must provide better service. You buy a couch for a grand the spring breaks....the furniture store delievers another and takes the broken one ack. Spend 45G on a new truck...it breaks on the first tank of fuel....your stuck with it until they find out what caused the failure...something wrong with this picture <br><br>I fully realize that DC went through great expense to fly in a new axle from Mexico to go on my vehicle....there is more damage...but with such low milage I should not be expected to wait. Who is to say there was not another part of the drivetrain which contributed to the differential failure. It needs to be examined in detail.<br><br>The DC HD trucks were and are currently being advertised as the best on the block.....I, to date am not convinced considering the mess which I currently find myself with the Americian axles and the problem with my drivetrain. <br><br> [eyecrazy] :-[<br><br>Wantabee