3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Loss of power

I have a 06 with a 5.9 6 speed lost power when towing Runs ok empty until I turn my edge on at level 5 it falls flat at 2100 rpm I’m thinking a fuel problem can a supply pump get week
Old 11-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Do you have the edge cts2? If so what is your rail pressure reading. Should be 6-7k at idle. The factory lift pump can go bad, if its not working then your cp3 is doing all the work and will eventually kill it.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
Do you have the edge cts2? If so what is your rail pressure reading. Should be 6-7k at idle. The factory lift pump can go bad, if its not working then your cp3 is doing all the work and will eventually kill it.
I checked fuel pressure on the edge and it’s at 7.1 kpsi does that sound like a lift pump
Old 11-08-2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by cabtruck
I checked fuel pressure on the edge and it’s at 7.1 kpsi does that sound like a lift pump
What does it read at wot. That number is good at idle.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM

What does it read at wot. That number is good at idle.
19.5 kpsi wot.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:48 PM

Do you have any codes? How long has the fuel filter been in it? Maybe a cac boot leak?
Old 11-08-2017, 05:37 PM

Do you have any codes? How long has the fuel filter been in it? Maybe a cac boot leak?
no codes . Replaced filter what is a cac boot ? I checked fuel pressure at cp3 supply and have 10 lb pressure at idle bump the gas goes to 0 lb
Old 11-08-2017, 05:46 PM

no codes . Replaced filter what is a cac boot ? I checked fuel pressure at cp3 supply and have 10 lb pressure at idle bump the gas goes to 0 lb
ok I looked up cac going by the edge Monitor I’m getting boost
Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 PM

I think you found your problem. Sounds like the lift pump is failing. Im no expert but it should not go to 0.
I found this info from another site:

The '05-up trucks have an in-tank electric lift pump that runs at a constant 9psi - it flashes toward 30psi at key-on, then settles back to 9psi as the CP3 bypass begins to function - it is a rotary-vane type externally bypassed flow-thru when fail pump, designed to run in Diesel fuel, so the CP3 can draw fuel from the tank if the electric pump fails - this setup will not leave you stranded on the road, dead.

There are a few aftermarket alternatives that provide better fueling and volume from the CP3. The Arson III cp3 mod is by far one of the most popular. Included is the georator pump, cascade valve, high pressure fitting and FCA.. Together these parts replace the weak and worn parts on your current CP3 and being as they are after market.. the volume is increased through these parts allowing to fuel 90hp-100hp injectors

There are also an array of aftermarket lift pumps to supply the cp3 with better fuel pressure. These provide better fuel pressure to the cp3 and eliminate a '0 psi' inlet enviroment for the cp3 under heavy load. Airdog and Fass are popular choices
Old 11-08-2017, 06:49 PM

I think you found your problem. Sounds like the lift pump is failing. Im no expert but it should not go to 0.
I found this info from another site:

The '05-up trucks have an in-tank electric lift pump that runs at a constant 9psi - it flashes toward 30psi at key-on, then settles back to 9psi as the CP3 bypass begins to function - it is a rotary-vane type externally bypassed flow-thru when fail pump, designed to run in Diesel fuel, so the CP3 can draw fuel from the tank if the electric pump fails - this setup will not leave you stranded on the road, dead.

There are a few aftermarket alternatives that provide better fueling and volume from the CP3. The Arson III cp3 mod is by far one of the most popular. Included is the georator pump, cascade valve, high pressure fitting and FCA.. Together these parts replace the weak and worn parts on your current CP3 and being as they are after market.. the volume is increased through these parts allowing to fuel 90hp-100hp injectors

There are also an array of aftermarket lift pumps to supply the cp3 with better fuel pressure. These provide better fuel pressure to the cp3 and eliminate a '0 psi' inlet enviroment for the cp3 under heavy load. Airdog and Fass are popular choices
thanks for the help the odd thing is it pass the volume test 650 mL in 10 seconds I found a FASS in my town in stock so getting it tomorrow hopefully that will fix it
Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 PM

thanks for the help the odd thing is it pass the volume test 650 mL in 10 seconds I found a FASS in my town in stock so getting it tomorrow hopefully that will fix it
I hope it works, let me know how it turns out.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:25 PM

I hope it works, let me know how it turns out.
I finally got the Fass installed fixed my problem when I removed the fuel pump from the tank the rods and springs were in the bottom of the tank
Old 11-15-2017, 06:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I finally got the Fass installed fixed my problem when I removed the fuel pump from the tank the rods and springs were in the bottom of the tank

How did you go about changing the pump? Drop the tank? How hard was it to change?

Old 11-15-2017, 08:25 AM

Glad to hear you got it fixed.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Glad to hear you got it fixed.
thanks for your input

Quick Reply: Loss of power