3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

a little long but, could really use some tech help.........

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
So, Tritont, How bout an update?
Well, my truck is in Indiana having the motor built at Scheid. It won't be done for at least a month or more though. I'm installing custom cut Arias pistons and they alone take a month to get back from machining.

I'll post some dyno results when it's done. They'll be doing a motor dyno.

( Jeopardy )
Old 07-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Hey Man, u need to borrow the eclipse until then. You'll be wanting to trade me when u get ur truck back.
Old 07-01-2007, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hippie816
Hey Man, u need to borrow the eclipse until then. You'll be wanting to trade me when u get ur truck back.
No, I think the truck will be ready to take on the Eclipse this time...check the sig

If not... I'll take it off your hands
Old 07-01-2007, 07:45 PM

The sig is gone. Whats up with that? mmmm, Can smell that inferno red paint in the driveway now
Old 07-01-2007, 07:51 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey tritont, which shop in Indiana? I'll stop by and check on it for ya! I'm pretty close to the Lafayette shop, and I get to Terre Haute usually every other week or so.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vzdude
Hey tritont, which shop in Indiana? I'll stop by and check on it for ya! I'm pretty close to the Lafayette shop, and I get to Terre Haute usually every other week or so.
It's at the Lafayette shop. Motors at the machine shop now from what I've been told.

Let me know if she's safe and sound if you get by there :-)
Old 07-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hippie816
The sig is gone. Whats up with that? mmmm, Can smell that inferno red paint in the driveway now
had to adjust it if you knew what was in there you could put a tune on the Eclipse
Old 07-01-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think there's something missing in the equation of how your engine was damaged; even though you were adding a bunch of aftermarket fueling, a couple of quick blasts down the quarter shouldn't have melted the piston crown.

I've lost count of the times the '05 has pegged the EGTs at 1600*F, and we've made a dozen back-to-back runs in the quarter w/o even shutting down. TIP pressure routinely pegs the gauge at 75psi, and the Smarty has downloaded SW#9 with the Quad Race turned up all the way , even though that's not the smartest thing to do! (Testing purposes only... )

If the HPCRs were that fragile, there'd be a bunch more broken ones laying about.

p.s. I sure hope the wood helps! (knock knock)
Old 07-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by XLR8R
I think there's something missing in the equation of how your engine was damaged; even though you were adding a bunch of aftermarket fueling, a couple of quick blasts down the quarter shouldn't have melted the piston crown.

I've lost count of the times the '05 has pegged the EGTs at 1600*F, and we've made a dozen back-to-back runs in the quarter w/o even shutting down. TIP pressure routinely pegs the gauge at 75psi, and the Smarty has downloaded SW#9 with the Quad Race turned up all the way , even though that's not the smartest thing to do! (Testing purposes only... )

If the HPCRs were that fragile, there'd be a bunch more broken ones laying about.

p.s. I sure hope the wood helps! (knock knock)
Believe it and hope your wood trick continues to work although your truck seems to be all fixed up now.

I was as surprised as you. The turbo maybe but, a piston ? I think the stoutness the Cummins has a reputation for is a little more fragile than you think..... when it comes to heat anyway.

You also my have been on Smarty #9 but, I think the Smarty beta 4.3 on #7 is adding a little more than the earlier programs. I've only ran my TST on 4/3 one time and popped the rail dry. From then on, when on, it's never been on anything but 2/0 O timing and RP doesn't work with my truck.

Aluminum is very fragile and I wouldn't recommend the 1/4 to anyone that doesn't have the correct setup for it.
Old 07-01-2007, 08:57 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, I'm within 3 blocks of the Lafayette shop at least 4 days a week. I'll stop in and do some window shopping. I'm thinkin' about that exhaust system they have in the showroom! Gotta talk to the wife first! Tell me which one to look for. I'll give you a report!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just throwing this out there, but I think it was excessive PRESSURE from the advanced timing that may have caused your engines quick demise. I think your injectors were firing way before the piston was close enough to have the spray hit the bowl, instead it was hitting the side of the piston and the bore.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vzdude
Yeah, I'm within 3 blocks of the Lafayette shop at least 4 days a week. I'll stop in and do some window shopping. I'm thinkin' about that exhaust system they have in the showroom! Gotta talk to the wife first! Tell me which one to look for. I'll give you a report!
cool. ya can't miss it. lifted Mega, inferno red with stacks. If you're able... take a pic or two for me
Old 07-01-2007, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trik396
I'm just throwing this out there, but I think it was excessive PRESSURE from the advanced timing that may have caused your engines quick demise. I think your injectors were firing way before the piston was close enough to have the spray hit the bowl, instead it was hitting the side of the piston and the bore.
A possibility but, since it was only #4 that took the hit, I'm betting on too much heat from the turbo being mounted right there and probably the advanded timing. I don't know exactly what the Smarty program I was running was delivering ?? Guess I should ask Bob.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weren't you stacking something else that also advanced the timing?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trik396
Weren't you stacking something else that also advanced the timing?
Nope. All I have is the Smarty and TST. Boost never went over 35 and RP was at 25Kpsi. The EGT's were another matter at 3/4 track is when it hit 1600... I let out of it and rolled across the finish. Second run I hit 1600 just after the 1/8, I held it to 3/4 which is when it went boom ! and again, I rolled across the finish under no power.

I knew by holding it I was pushing my luck. I only wanted to give it that couple seconds more but, it went boom before I could back out.

Quick Reply: a little long but, could really use some tech help.........