Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/)
-   -   lift pump warranty DENIED (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/3rd-gen-engine-drivetrain-2003-2007-102/lift-pump-warranty-denied-257730/)

Slice 11-22-2009 01:27 PM

lift pump warranty DENIED

04 2500 93xxx miles live in Texas broke down in middle Missouri towed to dealer they could not figure out warranty in computer when replacing lift pump. they ordered it and replaced it with in-tank pump the standard replacement. i opened a claim with dodge got number and all. paid for work done and headed home, filed paper work for reimbursement and dodge says that that lift pump # is not a warranty part for an 04 2500. Wait a second i am not the one who changed the design and moved it to the tank.. try telling this to the monkee's on the other end of the phone, the ones in another country, YES i will be calling the Michigan office in the am and speaking with someone who can understand ___________,,,,,,,

and the dealer who could not figure out a warranty # did i get scammed by them >>>>????????? hummmm

Totallyrad 11-22-2009 01:35 PM

Lift pump is covered for 5 years/100,000 miles under the Cummins emission warranty. Look at your build date on your door sticker. Regardless of the build date, I'd still place a follow-up call. They may do it as a "good will" gesture.

rich 11-22-2009 01:43 PM

keep after them they will try all they can do not to pay for it

Slice 11-22-2009 03:26 PM

oh its covered i just need to speak to someone who speaks ENGLISH, and understands that they "Dodge" changed the part number not me no wonder why people buy foreign autos. Theres no B.S.

RonP 11-22-2009 03:50 PM

I hope it works for you, but it is pretty simple. 5 years 100,000. If your truck was put into service in 2004 before the date this took place you are more than likely out of warranty. If you are over the 5 years, it is on your dime. really has nothing to do with the part number. Like I said though, I hope they cover it for you and if it is for sure in warranty, then stay on them. Been down that road before.

cbrahs 11-22-2009 05:42 PM

it would not go by the build date. it would go by the first date of sale. pm me your VIN and I can get you the information (last 9 digits of vin)

Slice 11-22-2009 07:31 PM

guys thanks but it was inside the 5 yr warranty less than 100k. no issues there it goes by sale date.. 11-13-03 went out 10-28-09 the issue is them changing part # to intank pump and then saying its not covered i will be all over them at 8 am monday morning

Lost Lake 11-22-2009 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Slice (Post 2635394)
guys thanks but it was inside the 5 yr warranty less than 100k. no issues there it goes by sale date.. 11-13-03 went out 10-28-09 the issue is them changing part # to intank pump and then saying its not covered i will be all over them at 8 am monday morning

11-13-03? The five year date is 11-13-08. Your pump os 6 years old! Good luck!

Rednecktastic 11-22-2009 10:40 PM

Did you mean to say 11-13-04?

rockcrawler304 11-22-2009 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rednecktastic (Post 2635522)
Did you mean to say 11-13-04?

I think he got the date right. Even his sig only says 2004 and not 2004.5. Although even a sell date of 11-13-04 could still easily be a 2004 I would imagine that a sell date of 11-04 he would have 2004.5 in his sig line. I guess some people may not know there is a difference though.

Hope all goes well in the morning for him.

patdaly 11-23-2009 08:26 AM

If he wants to push it, his truck is still supposed to be covered. If you read the Warranty book, it clearly states the 5/100 warranty starts after the regular warranty expires.

They will fight you, but more than one has won.

Slice 11-23-2009 08:33 AM

I posted the dates correctly purchased 11-13-03 till 10-28-09 is inside the 5th yr 6 th yr started on 11-13. 2004 yr model

1-2-3 11-23-2009 08:49 AM

I think you are a year out of warranty already. 5 years would mean it expired in 08.

rockcrawler304 11-23-2009 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 2635658)
If he wants to push it, his truck is still supposed to be covered. If you read the Warranty book, it clearly states the 5/100 warranty starts after the regular warranty expires.

They will fight you, but more than one has won.

^^^ This... but that can get touchy

Originally Posted by Slice (Post 2635667)
I posted the dates correctly purchased 11-13-03 till 10-28-09 is inside the 5th yr 6 th yr started on 11-13. 2004 yr model

Not quite sure how you are figuring this out. I'm just a little confused. [duhhh]

Originally Posted by 1-2-3 (Post 2635680)
I think you are a year out of warranty already. 5 years would mean it expired in 08.

I think this is what the dealer will argue the most about.

Let us know how it turns out for ya. Hope you get it covered.

ljutic ss 11-23-2009 10:49 AM

11/13/03 -11/13/04= 1

11/13/04-11/13/05= 2

11/13/05-11/13/06=3

11/13/06-11/13/07=4

11/13/07-11/13/08=5

11/13/08-11/13/09=6 years total. Good luck on your warranty claim.

psd1 11-23-2009 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1-2-3 (Post 2635680)

Originally Posted by ljutic ss (Post 2635773)
11/13/03 -11/13/04= 1

11/13/04-11/13/05= 2

11/13/05-11/13/06=3

11/13/06-11/13/07=4

11/13/07-11/13/08=5

11/13/08-11/13/09=6 years total. Good luck on your warranty claim.

Thats how I see it...but math isnt my strong suit![duhhh]

Stock 99 CTD 11-23-2009 11:08 AM

I posted a few weeks ago about the conversation I had with a Dodge Dealership Service Advisor. Seems that since Chrysler LLC was purchased by Fiat, that Fiat is unhappy with the repair bills on the Dodge Cummins 5 year 100K warranty. Seems that is a major loss of cash flow. The way Fiat is getting around warranties is requesting maintenance receipts. Either from a Dodge Dealership or if you did it yourself they wan't receipts. If you don't have all receipts they won't honor the claim. I have talked to two people that had injector claims denied because they did not have receipts for fuel filters on 80K mile trucks. It is too bad. I hope this guy has better luck.

SOhappy 11-23-2009 01:17 PM

Excellent dealership experience by comparison:

Had my lift pump on my 2003 (purchased 10/1/03) replaced with the in-tank kind last Friday, under warranty. Only cost me the $100 deductible. Went something like this:

1. Called the dealership, asked for the service manager.
2. Gave him my name (since I'd been in once before for ball-joints under warranty). He entered it in the computer.
3. Service manager says "no problem, your lift pump is covered under the 100,000 engine warranty with a $100 deductible, we can fit you in anytime- and we have the parts in-stock".

Oh, and get this...because of a death in the family I couldn't get the truck to them (50 miles away or so). I knew they had a used car lot 10 miles away so I sheepishly asked if I delivered it there, if they would pick it up. "Sure!" was the reply. I dropped it off last Friday morning and they called me in the afternoon to tell me it was done and being dropped off at the used car lot for me. Unbelievable! I assumed it would take several days for them to go pick it up (beggars can't be choosers) and I'd have to get to the dealership myself to drive it home.

Sorry to hear your experience was otherwise.

I'm a firm believer that a good dealer makes all the difference, and I didn't even buy my truck from them.

Slice 11-23-2009 03:28 PM

SOHAPPY you dont make me happy. I found out thru the service writer that on 03 -04 since they had so many issues with HEAT killing the lift pumps they convereted to in tank which we all new, and they also changed the warranty on the engines but failed to tell anyone if it was not oil related it was not covered so instead of owning up to a design flaw they up and changed the warranty. this is the issue i am having with them right now. i have submitted my documentation to them right out of the 2004 Warranty book that came with the truck...... well see what happens

Slice 11-23-2009 03:32 PM

sorry Guys my math is off a little but still under 100k 7 yrs

Mocho 11-23-2009 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Slice (Post 2635936)
sorry Guys my math is off a little but still under 100k 7 yrs

Yea that's what I was figuring, my 04.5 has the 7/100 engine warranty to. Yea Chrysler will try to get out of fixing it anyway possible. I would just threaten to sue them over it, it might get their attention. There is absolutely NO reason it shouldn't be covered.

SOhappy 11-24-2009 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Slice (Post 2635932)
... so instead of owning up to a design flaw they up and changed the warranty. this is the issue i am having with them right now. i have submitted my documentation to them right out of the 2004 Warranty book that came with the truck...... well see what happens

Strange two people can get such different results with the same issue. I mean, they dealer entered my VIN the computer and said "no problem, it's covered". Why was your experience different? I don't get it. Or did you have a diesel repair shop or non-dealer garage do the replacement and are trying to get reimbursed from Chrysler?

Slice 11-24-2009 02:54 PM

Towed to Dodge Dealer they Diagnosed , ordered part and Installed it. Vin into chrylser computer system would not take it, Seems dodge changed warranty and they could not figure out how to make it work i then paid and hooked em home I was two states away... i submitted them the warranty info waiting for them to come back with some other @#@#

Totallyrad 11-24-2009 08:12 PM

Slice, when mine went it took the service manager looking up the correct code for the service writer to enter. Every thing the service writer entered it the bill got kicked back at full charge to me. I continued to argue my extended warranty should cover it and the writer kept saying no. We had to "discuss" it for several minutes before it was straightened out. It ended at no charge under the emissions warranty. FWIW, I'm still hoping you beat them at it.

Slice 11-26-2009 08:03 AM

I did the same thing even told them to call dodge district rep to figure it out, of course he was out of town,,,, being i was two states away i paid for it as hotels and down time were killing me, It goes back to dodge changing the warranty and not telling anyone except YOUR WARRANTY IS DENIED

Rednecktastic 11-26-2009 12:18 PM

Keep us posted, maybe you can get the email of the district rep and we can all send him emails...

Equalizer 2 11-27-2009 09:39 PM

I am not a lawyer but to change a warranty to suit themselves sounds like a lawsuit for someone to win. You have a contractural agreement on the warranty and for one party to change it unilaterally sounds like someone is blowing smoke somewhere it doesn't belong.

CD in NM 11-27-2009 10:02 PM

Whatever warranty that was in effect AT THE TIME you purchased your truck IS your warranty - you have a signed purchase agreement, it is a CONTRACT.

If they changed the warranty on other un-sold trucks, then THEY would have the new warranty at whatever changes they made, and whoever bought THEM would also have a signed sales agreement, which is a CONTRACT.

It is ILLEGAL for them to lessen a warranty that is signed as part of a sales agreement. The only time they can change a warrantied item is when they EXTEND the warranty or are ordered due to safety reasons to cover things after a warranty has expired.

As far as FIAT having reservations/complaints/whatever regarding warranties - when they purchased Chrysler, they got her lock, stock, and barrel and by law the DO have to honor your warranty with the conditions stated in your sales contract.

Lawyer up if you have to, but they should not have charged you anything more than the $100.

CD

bob4x4 11-27-2009 11:28 PM

Fiat did not purchase Dodge

big-c 12-05-2009 07:12 AM

i thought the cummins engine was warranted for 100,000 miles regardless of years

rich 12-05-2009 08:35 AM

nope its by the year or mileage which ever you hit first, kills guys like me always enough time never enough miles

CD in NM 12-05-2009 10:28 AM

My understanding of the 7-year/100 K engine/emissions/fuel system warranty is that for the first 5 years whatever is fixed at NO COST to you. In the last 2 years you have a deductable, I believe it is $100.

They base the 7-year on the national average of 15K miles driven per year, which if that were the actualy mileage YOU put on your truck, it would be close to 100K total mileage. That calculation estimate takes you to 95K, but then you'd also have the +/- factor which would be more specific to your mileage. So, if you were like me, at 7 years you'd only have right around 70K (if that) mileage on your truck when your warranty was finished. I suppose you could argue the point, but with what we are seeing in the general attitude of the company at this point in time . . you'd probably be left out in the cold and be your own warranty station.

I had a friend who has 42K on his truck break down with the lift pump dying on his 2006. This was a couple months ago, he was on the road moving a couple of his horses to his new home. He found a close dealership, got towed, and was told that the lift pump was on national backorder, but they'd try to track one down for him at a dealership. 3 days went by, still no pump, so he called Air Dog and had a pump shipped to him. He installed it himself and went down the road. A couple weeks ago, he had an injector go bad, took his truck to his local dealer, and they informed him that since he modded the fuel system, his injector would be at his expense, no warranty coverage whatsoever. So, they cannot supply a part that IS warrantied during the warranty period, if you take steps to keep your truck on the road with an aftermarket part, they will seek to void your existing warranty - tell me how that works???? Sure didn't work for my buddy did it??

He just re-connected the old, bad pump line and electrical, disconnected the Air Dog, but left it in place. And then said to them, now it's back to stock, what say you now??? They chewed on it for a day, replaced his in-tank pump and also a complete set of injectors as they all were having problems. AND it was totally covered under warranty. I guess we can have an emergency system, but when we take it in, the old stuff better be what's hooked up.

Now, he's thinking of putting in a switch so he can go back and forth between the two fuel pumps.

CD

Lost Lake 12-05-2009 10:57 AM

7 x 15 is 105....

The dealership cannot void a warranty for a replacement pump unless that pump has been proven to cause the failure.

It's federal law. If your buddy accepts that answer, too bad. We're dealing with people, most of the time they have their agenda and we have ours. If they tell you it's not covered and you pay to have the truck fixed they are happy as clams. The service manager probably doesn't care, it's not his money, he has other things to worry about, you are one of a thousand customers.

If your friend shows them the Magnuson-Moss act and tells them they will hear from his attorney they will probably follow the law. Now you aren't just another sheep being pushed through the service bay. Now you are a person demanding attention. You are a potential problem. You need to be addressed immediately.

The law says:

Tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. These kinds of provisions would require a buyer of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product if they want to be eligible to receive a solution to a problem under the warranty. The following is an example of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Proctor Silex Coffee Maker warranty in effect, you must use genuine Proctor Filters. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Company, will void this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty also doesn’t have to cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your Pioneer Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that buyers use only authorized Pioneer dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repairs will void this warranty.

So as long as your friend used a pump made for this application, and it did not cause the failure, the warranty is claimable.

CD in NM 12-05-2009 11:58 AM

My bad about the 95K, I meant to say 105 but was actually thinking about MY total mileage in about 7 years.

I fully agree with what you have had to say Lost Lake. So does my friend. It is just the PITA that goes with dealing with their mentality vrs the way it should be.

I would have also blown a gasket at them when they could not meet my warranty expectation with having a part as important as a fuel pump on national backorder. But like my friend, what do you do then?? He chose to just get a pump and go down the road, never expecting it to become the secondary problem it did when it came to the injector issues. Who knows, maybe as the old pump was dying and maybe putting out less and less, it could have been what underlied the injector failure???

I do however like his idea about installing a switch to turn the factory pump on/off, same with the AD, and then a switched valve for the fuel lines. Have to look into that idea some.

CD

Slice 12-10-2009 07:13 PM

I received Call from Dodge today THEY WILL PAY CLAIM. This after i resubmitted a new letter and documentation for the claim. slightly different from first letter, Go figure and the same guy that denied me called and said checks in the mail. Go figure I contacted lawyer last night for details of suing them for breech of contract deceptive trade practices. I guess i read it enough here YOU have to threaten legal action to get them to do something that was clearly spelled out for them.. oh yea no more dodge vehicles for me. clearly too much BS to deal with.....

DBLR 12-11-2009 05:08 PM

oh yea no more dodge vehicles for me. clearly too much BS to deal with.."

If you think the same thing can't or will not happen to you at Government Motors or Ford you kidding your self.

Slice 12-12-2009 05:57 PM

DBLR, Thats okay , i would never buy any Big 3 autos again, They are not near what the others are, and who do we blame... themselves so they can all go to _____.

Spooler 12-12-2009 09:17 PM

This is all normal. It is always a fuss to get a LP warrantied for the 03-04.5 trucks. The problem is the dealers filling the paperwork don't know how to code it properly, so it get's kicked back. If you want a diesel 2500 to 3500 truck and need it like me, you don't have a choice but to deal with them. Cars, I am all Nissan.

06RAM2500 12-12-2009 10:15 PM

Warranty starts AFTER the truck was built. So if it was built on 09-22-2003, the engine warranty expired on 09-22-2008. Can call and ask any dealer, and they will tell you the same thing. BTW, lift pump re-locate is only covered under the truck warranty, NOT THE ENGINE warranty.

patdaly 12-13-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by 06RAM2500 (Post 2652236)
Warranty starts AFTER the truck was built. So if it was built on 09-22-2003, the engine warranty expired on 09-22-2008. Can call and ask any dealer, and they will tell you the same thing.

And the owners manual says the Cummins Warranty starts after the Truck Warranty runs out.

It has been like that since they started, so if it was a misprint, it has survived for decades.