3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Level Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Level Kit

I see most people have the 2 inch leveling kit installed. I really like how it makes the truck look but I have a few questions.
1. Can it be installed at home on a 2wd or do you need to take it to a shop? Do you have to get the front-end aligned after install?
2. Does it affect the truck towing capabilities?
3. Warranty impact?
Thanks for your help.

I have the stock wheel size and do not plan on going bigger.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:01 AM

I have installed a 2 inch kit in my 2 x 4 3500 dually. Yea you can do it your self if you have a few tools, ie.. air compressor, jack stands, basic wrenchs etc. Yes you have to get the front-end aligned. I found that I do not get the shutter when starting off with the trailer hitched up.

Dave
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Banned

did you replace the shocks with longer ones at the install?
Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 AM

dodgezilla04,

No I kept the stock shocks for awhile.

dave
Old 03-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Banned

cools, thanks.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:57 AM

Sounds a little more involved than I thought. The wife is not going to go for that one a brand new truck and after spending $$$ on more functional upgrades. Good information to know for the future.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM

The only thing I don't like about mine happens to be the way the truck sits with a load. If you look at my gallery I have a picture with mine towing my brothers car. I think it makes the back look like it's squating too much.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by puller
I have installed a 2 inch kit in my 2 x 4 3500 dually. Yea you can do it your self if you have a few tools, ie.. air compressor, jack stands, basic wrenchs etc. Yes you have to get the front-end aligned. I found that I do not get the shutter when starting off with the trailer hitched up.

Dave
Dave
What kit did you use and do you have a link for it? Also, do you have any pics of it afterwards? I really want to level my 04 dually and haven't found anyone that has kits for the 2wd's.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Banned

Get a spring compressor!! It will save a lot of cussing and hours of hard work... Do the passenger side first and you will get a feel for it.. I took the whole wheel, wheel well off and bottom control arm... Just did mine last Sunday if you have any ??? PM me and I will help while it is still fresh in my head!!

Shane
Old 03-25-2007, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by wade234
I see most people have the 2 inch leveling kit installed. I really like how it makes the truck look but I have a few questions.
1. Can it be installed at home on a 2wd or do you need to take it to a shop? Do you have to get the front-end aligned after install?
2. Does it affect the truck towing capabilities?
3. Warranty impact?
Thanks for your help.

I have the stock wheel size and do not plan on going bigger.
I installed 2" spring spacers on my 96 2x4 2500 and it was such a rough ride..... the front end literally came of the ground. It was so bad that I thought the dash was going to end up in my lap!! Needless to say I ended up taking them out..........
Old 03-25-2007, 11:18 PM

I have the Daystar 2 inch leveling kit on my 2004 3500 2wd dually. The kit is for a 4wd, but works fine on the 2wd. I had mine installed by American Force in Miami, Fl where I bought my 22.5 tires and wheels. I was charged $300.00 for the kit and installation. That did not include the alignment. I am still running stock shocks. I tow a 24 enclosed car trailer and have not noticed any problem with the rear end sagging. If anything, I still have about a one inch rake rear to front.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:19 PM

I forgot, check my gallery for some new photos.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by berok
I installed 2" spring spacers on my 96 2x4 2500 and it was such a rough ride..... the front end literally came of the ground. It was so bad that I thought the dash was going to end up in my lap!! Needless to say I ended up taking them out..........
So what was the deal you think? I had an '84 Ferd 4x2 F150 that I bought used and the guy had put Moog snowplow springs on the front to make it look like it was a 4x4 The first time I took it up a steep unpaved mountain road I thought the dash was gonna be jerked completely out! Thinking about it later I called the guy and asked if he had put on longer shocks to make up for the 2+ lift the springs gave ...... UH, no Anyways I made up some shock extensions out of RediBolt connectors and solved the problem. When you lift the front you can cause the shocks to 'top out' on the extension stroke and that's what causes the dash, etc. to go nuts ..... maybe that's what was happening with yours.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:27 PM

Robc

I don't remember where I got the lift kit from but go to autoanything.com and they have a lift kit for the ram 3500. I will keep looking for the source that I used.

Puller
Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by mj007
So what was the deal you think? I had an '84 Ferd 4x2 F150 that I bought used and the guy had put Moog snowplow springs on the front to make it look like it was a 4x4 The first time I took it up a steep unpaved mountain road I thought the dash was gonna be jerked completely out! Thinking about it later I called the guy and asked if he had put on longer shocks to make up for the 2+ lift the springs gave ...... UH, no Anyways I made up some shock extensions out of RediBolt connectors and solved the problem. When you lift the front you can cause the shocks to 'top out' on the extension stroke and that's what causes the dash, etc. to go nuts ..... maybe that's what was happening with yours.
I know you're right.. That's the same thing a buddy of mine said, but I really didn't want to go that extra mile or spend a little more, but now I'm glad I didn't. But maybe, just maybe I learned a lesson! But I dout it.....

Quick Reply: Level Kit