3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Leaky CP3 or GDP 2 micron filter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky CP3 or GDP 2 micron filter?

Well, it looks like I found where the scent o' diesel is coming from whenever I stand in front of the truck. When I was under the engine today I saw the engine harness connected to the ECU is wet with diesel and it also appeared that the bottom of the 2 micron fuel filter under the intake arm was also wet with diesel. Has anyone had their GDP unit leak? And if it is not the fuel filter, could it be possible that a leaky CP3 could spray enough to wet the harness and the filter?

Also if I did have a leaking CP3, would it even be covered under warranty considering I have the 2 micron auxillary filter (definitely needed IMO)? Will the diesel leak even harm anything?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM

My GDP 2 micron setup is leaking as well. I haven't attempted to fix it yet. I will probably start by removing the threaded lines, cleaning them and reinstalling with fresh teflon. Aside from that I am not sure what else to do....
Old 11-24-2008, 01:32 PM

Any idea where the leak is coming from?

-Chris
Old 11-24-2008, 09:33 PM

No,

It's been hard to tell where from. At first I thought it was from the filter seal itself, I installed a new filter and monitored, it was ok until after my first tow and then it was wet again, I'm pretty sure it is not from the seal. I think it may actually be from the threaded fittings into the housing but am not 100% sure. They were tight when installed but maybe need to be tighter or need new teflon tape? I am afraid of going too tight and cracking the aluminum....

Right now it is just an intermittent drip with wetness so I have not panicked about it yet but would like to resolve the issue as well.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 AM

I wonder how many people are driving around with a leaking CP3 and not noticing or caring? I'm wondering if the problem can get alot worse if not taken care of. I know the engine harness is completely waterproof, but I don't want the diesel to begin corroding everything and then run into electrical problems down the road. They could have found a better place to put the ECU.

-Chris
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, the CP3 is well known for its desire to leak during the cold winter months.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
FYI, the CP3 is well known for its desire to leak during the cold winter months.
Ditto to the above. I lost count after two or three CP3s were replaced for leaking every winter. I gave up on the inconvenience of having them replaced just to have to do it again the next winter. In five to six months it will stop leaking. Every winter this topic is just like clockwork , just as are the AC complaints in the summer. Nature of the beast.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by kry226
Agreed, mine went out a year ago and the dealer told me if it wasn't under warranty they wouldn't even fix it. They said the part is pretty expensive and a little leak is no big deal. I actuall had a few drops of diesel on the floor of my garage after a night.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:53 PM

Internal seals can be replaced with a slightly fatter diameter seal.There's some OLD threads on the subject with part numbers,supplier and a how to.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if it is under warrenty and the dealer denies it u could allways pull the D.E.C. card.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by CRXsi
My GDP 2 micron setup is leaking as well. I haven't attempted to fix it yet. I will probably start by removing the threaded lines, cleaning them and reinstalling with fresh teflon. Aside from that I am not sure what else to do....
What is (GDP) and is 2 micron filter stock with the truck?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The stock filter was 10 micron, and got updated to 7 micron.

GDP makes a kit to mount a 2 micron spin-on filter between the stock fuel filter, and the CP3 pump.

I was kind of kicking around getting one for my truck...
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 PM

The GDP is http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/gdept.aspx?dept_id=09

As for my leak, it isn't the CP3 and it happens most when hot....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Here's a link to the 2 micron filter kit, at DTR's store...

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/mkremokit9do.html

Or this one, for trucks that do not have an engine mounted throttle position sensor...

http://store.dieseltruckresource.com/mkfikit0dora.html
Old 11-27-2008, 01:06 AM

I vaguely remember reading this topic a number of months back, and the general cause of problem turned out to be loose fittings. I don't have any leaks on mine, but I tightened the fittings pretty darn tight.

Quick Reply: Leaky CP3 or GDP 2 micron filter?