3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Launch shudder

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Launch shudder

early '04 3500 srw quad cab 6 speed limited slip rear end

I have a shudder when launching and turning a corner. It doesn't appear to happen when starting in a straight line.

Suggestions?

I didn't think the axle required friction modifier?
Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
launch shutter

I have the same problem. I've been trying to ignore it, but would be interested in fixing it.

Anyone?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time to check the ujoints and bearings. My truck shudders on takeoff, but its the OFE that does that.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 PM

Put some friction Modifier in it. It does NOT require it but for some people it needs it for whatever reason. I use Amsoil gear lube and it has the modifier in it already. Cannot hurt... Lots and lots of guys have reported having to add it and fixed the problem. Takes 5 minutes.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by T & T
I have the same problem. I've been trying to ignore it, but would be interested in fixing it.

Anyone?
if yours shutters at take off i woudl think its your torque converter... especially if you havethe stock tranny.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:01 PM

I am going to second the ujoints. especially the part about going around corners. mine was getting to the point, that when shifted from reverese to drive, there was a loud "clunk" thought it was the tranny, but changed out ujoints and all is well. still need to do balljoints though.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 PM

I get a wicked shudder sometimes on a 1st gear take off sometimes, and I really get it backing up a trailer in reverse, the truck kinda feels like its power hopping. It never did it before, would that have something to do with my clutch or would that be U-joint related too?
Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 PM

I had a slight shudder also & I mentioned it to The Transmission Man ( a highly-recommended shop here in London, ON), after they did a complete Fluid Flush & Fill, Filter & adjust the Bands service, & the tech test drove my truck. (03' Dually 2WD 47re)

He said that it wasn't torque converter shudder, but he thought that it was the clutches slightly slipping in my Limited Slip Diff.

Just something to consider!

John Good
Old 07-19-2008, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
if yours shutters at take off i woudl think its your torque converter... especially if you havethe stock tranny.
it shutters on takeoff only when I am turning (it doesn't do it on straight takeoffs).
It also thumps when I put it in reverse. The thing that is strange, is that both have been happening since the 36,000 mile checkup (I now have almost 60,000), and it hasn't gotten worse. I couldn't imagine the U-joints surviving the hard driving I've put 'er under over the last 20,000+ miles.
I'll have to crawl under and check U-joints.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Thought there was a TSB for this.

Lower the center bearing is the answer for the TSB
Old 07-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
The part that's bugging me about this is it comes and goes.

I go for a run on the freeway, take an exit and the whole truck shudders when launching from the stop sign and turning left.

Run around town for a bit and it seems to go away....

I have 1500Km left on the power train warranty, I may just take it in and let the dealer worry about it.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:59 PM

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/03-003-04.htm

Symptom/Condition:
A vehicle may exhibit a drive line shudder or vibrations while accelerating from a stop. The
condition is most noticeable under heavy throttle acceleration and is usually only present a low
speeds (below 25 m.p.h.).

All I know is I started having this issue and did this TSB and it has not returned.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 PM

The TSB# is 03-003-04 on 6/15/04.
Launch shudder.
This bulletin involves adjusting the propeller shaft working angles and applies to vehicles
equipped with a two-piece rear driveshaft. The problem is described as a drive line shudder or
vibration while accelerating from a stop. The condition is most noticeable under heavy throttle
acceleration and is usually present only at low speeds (below 25 mph). Vehicles equipped with
a two-piece driveshaft are designed to minimize reaction forces that result from the universal
joint transmitting torque at an angle. These forces cannot be eliminated entirely because of the
necessity to compromise joint angle selection between curb and design loading conditions. Ujoint
angles change depending upon the amount of weight applied to the vehicle bed. Therefore
U-joint angle readings may need to be taken with different vehicle loads in order to obtain a
satisfactory compromise. The vehicle should be evaluated under the loaded condition that
produces the objectionable disturbance.
The repair procedure involves measurements at the transmission yoke, front propeller shaft,
rear propeller shaft and rear axle. The working angles should be adjusted to provide the lowest
angle possible for the output shaft to front propeller shaft, front propeller shaft to rear propeller
shaft, and rear propeller shaft to axle pinion. The measurements will determine which direction
to move the center bearing to optimize the angles. Install the appropriate bracket to obtain the
minimum working angle, but still maintain at least ½ degree to ensure that there will be some
movement in the U-joint bearings.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM

My guess is that it's the limited slip axle if it only does it when not taking off in a straight line. My previous 05 and my current 06 both had a slight shutter when taking off from a dead stop and making a turn at an intersection.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:48 PM

Add some fraction modifiers to the differantial,even generic stuff from Advance or whoever bottle.The hot and turning left is differant then the TSB for launch/shudder.

Quick Reply: Launch shudder