3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I've started noticing a pool of water

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've started noticing a pool of water

Here lately, I don't know if it has anything to do with the cooler temperatures but I have a pool of liquid that seems to spawn overnight under the front of my 06 2500. It isn't fuel or oil of any kind and seems to take a while for it to dry up. It doesn't do it at any other time. I left it at the dealership for a full day and it never did it. I feel like if it was a radiator leak it would be a constant thing. Could this have anything to do with the engine cooling down in cold weather or like a post below, condensate from having run the defroster while I was driving the truck (not sitting at idle). Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by 223 rules; 01-07-2010 at 04:33 PM. Reason: clarify a sentence
Old 01-07-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 223 rules
Here lately, I don't know if it has anything to do with the cooler temperatures but I have a pool of liquid that seems to spawn overnight under the front of my 06 2500. It isn't fuel or oil of any kind and seems to take a while for it to dry up. It doesn't do it at any other time. I left it at the dealership for a full day and it never did it. I feel like if it was a radiator leak it would be a constant thing. Could this have anything to do with the engine cooling down in cold weather or like a post below, condensate from having run the defroster while I was driving the truck (not sitting at idle). Thanks in advance for your help.
Check the little hose behind the turbo. Tighten the clamps or get the replacement hose.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:51 PM

I have had a similar pool under my truck since I bought it. The dealer here said it was condensate from the AC and not to worry about it. I will check the turbo hose just the same though. Good luck!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by sdmark
I have had a similar pool under my truck since I bought it. The dealer here said it was condensate from the AC and not to worry about it. I will check the turbo hose just the same though. Good luck!!!
Well it would be condensation water if you have the A/C on, but the majority of the country is running heat right now!

Also, he said it was slow to dry, meaning it's probably not water.

The 06's have a leaky coolant line right behind the turbo.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup theres a small hose behind the turbo that seeps. Mine only did it in the colder months of the year. I finaly got around to tightning the clamps and it stopped but I have the replacment hose. Hopefully get it on this weekend.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
Yup theres a small hose behind the turbo that seeps. Mine only did it in the colder months of the year. I finaly got around to tightning the clamps and it stopped but I have the replacment hose. Hopefully get it on this weekend.
It's not the hose that leaking, it's the clamps. The Worm gear clamps expand and cool causeing them to loosen over time and thats why the coolant is seeping out. Once the motor warms up the hose and clamp expand and they tighten back up, they cool and they shrink and leak a little. There i a self tightening clamp that Mopar uses now, try those or just keep tightening the worm gear clamps as it happens.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lost Lake
Well it would be condensation water if you have the A/C on, but the majority of the country is running heat right now!

Also, he said it was slow to dry, meaning it's probably not water.

The 06's have a leaky coolant line right behind the turbo.
Could be both: Anytime you have the climate controls on the defroster setting, the A/C DOES RUN in order to dry out the incoming air by condensing the moisture out of it, regardless of the heat setting. Then the air is blown onto the windshield. Also, the cool/cold temperatures over the plains plus high humidity (63% here in San Antonio at this moment) would slow down evaporation.

Last edited by kokalit; 01-07-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: changed text
Old 01-08-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
It's not the hose that leaking, it's the clamps. The Worm gear clamps expand and cool causeing them to loosen over time and thats why the coolant is seeping out. Once the motor warms up the hose and clamp expand and they tighten back up, they cool and they shrink and leak a little. There i a self tightening clamp that Mopar uses now, try those or just keep tightening the worm gear clamps as it happens.
The clamps would expand when they heat up, and contract as they cool. So it's not the worm gear clamps.

The problem would be in the hose itself, contracting when it is cold and not fitting tight on the tube. Everything in the universe shrinks when it gets colder except for one thing. Do you know what one thing gets bigger when it gets cold?