3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

I've had a bad lift pump and didn't know it!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 02:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had a bad lift pump and didn't know it!

I got the Predator and loaded the towing program first. Like most people have said... not very impressive. I modified the banjo bolt on the outlet (front) of the filter and checked the pressure before loading the performance program and no fuel pressure! I think it's been bad since before I bought the truck, 5k miles ago because I haven't noticed any change in performance. Is the LP part of the 100k engine warranty? Is it $100 deductable? I might get it replaced and keep it for a spare and then get a GD pump. How can I tell if the CP3 is damaged - I don't hear any noise and the truck runs OK. TIA! Craig
Old 10-14-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure on the 03's but for the 04's engine warranty is 5 yrs 100k no charge, 7rs 100k $100 deductable, either way you are very close if not over on millage. All pumps and fuel related items should be covered under the warranty as my manual speciofically lists transfer pump, fuel pump, injectors etc etc. etc. are covered under the DC "Cummins Engine" warranty which is different than the 7/70 drive train warranty they try to stuff this into.

Good luck but think that they will replace your transfer pump at the dealer with the new in the tank pump....harder to add a Fass or whatever with in the tank.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the input! My truck is 4 yrs old this month and has 35k miles. I forgot about the intank pump - I don't think I want that. Is it any better than the filter mounted pump? Napa has a diesel rated elec. pump - 100gph, 18psi (max) for $150. It is positive displacement, rotary vane and internally regulated. I'd rather have an external regulator and return the unused fuel to the tank instead of short cycling it thru the pump and heating it up more. Craig
Old 10-15-2006, 12:25 AM

Im not sure I understand you 100% but if you are thinking of modifying it so the return fuel does not run threw the injection pump then you had jsut as well pull out the gun and shoot it now. The fuel that returnes to the tank is reponsible for cooling the pump. I dont know how long the pump would live withought this but I dought it would be long.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:56 AM

No I wouldn't modify the pump. I've been doing a bunch of reading about lift pumps. Turns out the Napa pump (6410hp made by Carter) I saw today has been used a lot on our CTDs and they don't live too long either. I'm guessing what I said is true - they bypass internally, building heat. I'm also guessing that's the same problem with the Holley and Campaign pumps. I like the looks of the GD Walbro systems - they use an external bypass (PR valve) and run the excess fuel back to the tank so the pump will cool much better. I still might let DC warranty mine with the in-tank pump and see if they will give me all the old parts for future (out of warranty) use. Craig
Old 10-15-2006, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by C Schomer
No I wouldn't modify the pump. I've been doing a bunch of reading about lift pumps. Turns out the Napa pump (6410hp made by Carter) I saw today has been used a lot on our CTDs and they don't live too long either. I'm guessing what I said is true - they bypass internally, building heat. I'm also guessing that's the same problem with the Holley and Campaign pumps. I like the looks of the GD Walbro systems - they use an external bypass (PR valve) and run the excess fuel back to the tank so the pump will cool much better. I still might let DC warranty mine with the in-tank pump and see if they will give me all the old parts for future (out of warranty) use. Craig
You won't be given the old parts back if it is repaired under warranty. The dealer must keep the replaced parts to return to Dodge.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would go with the GDP Walbro pump and the 2 micron filtration kit. At least with this setup you will never have a lift pump issue again and a have much better filtration to boot.

MikeyB
Old 10-15-2006, 01:03 PM

I was hoping they'd give me everything but the bad pump, maybe not. I'll probably get the GDP. Craig
Old 10-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Hum,
55K miles so far. Just bought the truck less than 2 weeks ago and a knock has started. It sounds like its behind the steering wheel. Can't hear it clearly until 1500 RPM under load. Called the dealer this morning, could be LP he said. Scheduled for Friday to have a look see.

Is it really worth going the GPD route rather than OE fix?
Is this in tank fix not reliable?

Kutch
Old 10-16-2006, 10:47 AM

They say the intank pump isn't much better but I have yet to read about an intank pump going bad. I wish I knew if the intank pump would keep good pressure with a 100hp (maybe more) box. Craig
Old 10-17-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by C Schomer
I got the Predator and loaded the towing program first. Like most people have said... not very impressive. I modified the banjo bolt on the outlet (front) of the filter and checked the pressure before loading the performance program and no fuel pressure! I think it's been bad since before I bought the truck, 5k miles ago because I haven't noticed any change in performance. Is the LP part of the 100k engine warranty? Is it $100 deductable? I might get it replaced and keep it for a spare and then get a GD pump. How can I tell if the CP3 is damaged - I don't hear any noise and the truck runs OK. TIA! Craig
Craig,
I had inadvertantly driven my truck without a lift pump for 4 to 5k miles. I was wanting to get more specifics on your experience.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 AM

I have heard from several folks that in Texas in the summer to not let your fuel level get below 1/4 of a tank because the hot summers will not keep the intank pump cool enough and they will fail. I haven't had that experience. My truck came with the pump mounted on the filter housing and didn't have any trouble with it until I ran it out of fuel.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:24 AM

You can ask for the old parts.
The dealer has to hold onto warrenty parts for 2 weeks.
Some times DC wants them shipped back to them, but a lot of the time, after 2 weeks they hit the dumpster.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 AM

The in-tank pump is probably an improvement, for two reasons:

1. It's submerged in fuel, which will help keep it cool.

2. Fuel is being pushed just about the entire length of the fuel system-the in-tank pump does not have to pull fuel through many feet of line. It's much easier for a pump to push fuel than it is to pull it.

I too have heard of very few if any failures of the in-tank pumps.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 AM

Just got off the horn with Glacier Diesel.

He has a write up about the in tank pump. Basically as long as you do not go crazy with mods, this pump should be alright....
www.glacierdieselpower.com
look under the tech write ups...
=========================================
His comments to me where as follows:

If your going to keep the truck completely stock the in-tank pump will be adequate. You should see about 8 psi at idle and as low as 3 under a full load. If you want to modify the truck in any way then you will need some type of aftermarket fuel system to properly feed and cool the injection pump.
==========================================
I then asked about just letting the dealer do the install and adding an aftermarket pump later...

his response:

You could add another inline pump but it requires some fancy wiring to operate correctly. You would be money ahead to go with your aftermarket pump of choice. If you do decide to have the in-tank pump installed make sure that you get to keep your stock sending unit. This will make the swap to an aftermarket system much simpler and cheaper down the road should you decide to change.

So on Friday if it turns out to be the LP, I'll ask to keep the sending unit and just let them do the in tank LP for now.

-Kutch

Quick Reply: I've had a bad lift pump and didn't know it!