3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Its Cold! 2 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the factory installed block heater have a thermostat control or is it just on if it is pluged in? I purchased a timer this week and pluged mine in for the first time today, I think it was down to 14 last night. Does the block heater get the engine hot enough for the temp guage to move when you start it?
Old 11-25-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dynocon
Does the factory installed block heater have a thermostat control or is it just on if it is pluged in? I purchased a timer this week and pluged mine in for the first time today, I think it was down to 14 last night. Does the block heater get the engine hot enough for the temp guage to move when you start it?
No thermostat, it's on all the time. At 40F I can leave it in all night and not see the temp guage move at start up.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:20 PM

Before you guys get all gooned out about "having" to have your truck plugged in, mine will start at -15 pretty easy not plugged in. I had the Mobil 1 Truck and SUV for oil. Down around +5 or so is pretty much the limit with 15/40. Literally fogged the back yard with white smoke until I couldn't see my house, but it started. Let it idle for a minute or 2, smoothed out, and off I went. Used to have a 6.2 that started at -30 with out being plugged in, but that was with 10/30 oil, and new batteries.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IA_James
Literally fogged the back yard with white smoke until I couldn't see my house, but it started.
That white smoke is money flying out of your wallet.

Fuel prices such as they are (abeit lower than 2 months ago), you don't want all that unburnt Diesel floating away.

Much better for the engine and your wallet to plug it in for a couple hours.

PS, mine still fogs the neighbors house even if I have it plugged in, just doesn't do it for quite so long.
These neighbors moved in last spring, so they haven't experienced an 8am January fogging yet.

phox
Old 11-25-2005, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
That white smoke is money flying out of your wallet.

Fuel prices such as they are (abeit lower than 2 months ago), you don't want all that unburnt Diesel floating away.
phox

Ah, at least this way I can see it. My truck's stock so I have no visible proof that it's running other than it makes noise. Besides, I got a place to park it where it'll be at least 42 deg all year long now. Reminds me, I gotta post a few pics in the "My Shop" thread.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by handymantim
I also use a timer.

Just my .02 but the grid heaters start working when the temp is in the 40s so that's when I plug my truck in. If the truck "needs" the grid heaters then why not help it out AND have a warm truck quicker in the morning?
Grid heaters cycle when the IAT temp is below 68 degrees.

Sorry if i treat my truck bad, but if its not going to be below -20, then i dont see a need to plug it in. it always fires up great in that cold of weather
Old 11-25-2005, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by dgm
This is the first winter I've had my CTD and last night was the first REALLY cold night. I went out today and proceeded to start it like normal. It started really slow and then when it fired, a big puff of white smoke blew out. Is this normal? Is this an indication that I should have cycled the grid heater a couple more times before starting and/or had my truck plugged in or parked inside last night?

My other cold weather concern is the time it takes to warm up the cab. By the time it gets warm, I'm at work and ready to get out! Any suggestions for a place to buy the cold weather front for these trucks?

thanks!
-daniel
Isn't TSB 18-007-04
http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-007-04.htm
supposed to help the white smoke on the 4.5's?

And there is a Flash for high idle TSB 18-004-04, lets you manually force high idle for faster warmup. I still need to get that one.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did see something in my manuals that indicate the grid heaters cycle at and below 66 deg F but riddle me this......why does the "wait to start" light come on and the lights flicker and the solenoids click when it is in the 40s or below?

It's really neat that our trucks can start when it's very cold but what is it that makes some of want to test it? Is it machismo i.e. is it a desire to buy batteries sooner and drive around in a cold truck longer?
Old 11-26-2005, 07:12 AM

I a timer required or is there a thermostat control of somekind on the block heater that keeps it at a certain temperature?

I also purchased a timer this week and I pluged it in for the first time yesterday, it was 14 degrees here. I had it pluged in for about an hour before I fired it up, I know it should have been longer, but the question is after it is pluged in overnight does the temperature guage come up any?
Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by handymantim
I did see something in my manuals that indicate the grid heaters cycle at and below 66 deg F but riddle me this......why does the "wait to start" light come on and the lights flicker and the solenoids click when it is in the 40s or below?

It's really neat that our trucks can start when it's very cold but what is it that makes some of want to test it? Is it machismo i.e. is it a desire to buy batteries sooner and drive around in a cold truck longer?
The wait to start light and the clicking solenoids and dimming lights are because of the amperage draw of the grid heaters.

I had no intention of "testing" my truck last year at those temps, just no outdoor outlets to plug it into. Not machismo for sure. Actually, I'm pretty sure I froze my machismo off last year a few times.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:41 AM
LCH

Originally Posted by Dynocon
I a timer required or is there a thermostat control of somekind on the block heater that keeps it at a certain temperature?
No timer required. Dodge couldn't mass produce something and depend on the general public to follow instructions with a timer to make it work without damage. They would be having to wartenee block heaters all the time LOL .The heater can only warm the block to a certain point with it being plugged in all night or just a few hours. Once the block reaches that max temp then it's at the same temp as the heater so the heater can't heat it anymore. If you use a timer you just need to figure out how long that is and set the timer acordingly. Kinda like putting air in a tire with an air tank, if you reach the same pressure in the tire as you have in the tank then the tank can't force any more air in.

The guage won't move as soon as you start it but you will see heat alot sooner and you can tell alot of differance in the sound of the engine. If I plug mine in and use the winter front acording to the outside temp I get heat within a couple of miles of the house instead of six or seven. Gotta be better on the engine in my thinking. LCH
Old 11-26-2005, 11:51 AM

A little side note on this subject that has not been mentioned is that when the truck is plugged in and the heater switch has been set to defrost there is enough heat generated from the block heater that it will defrost the windshield, at least that is what i have read on here so it has to be true, right. living where i do i will be trying it real soon.

rob
Old 11-26-2005, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by roadrat
A little side note on this subject that has not been mentioned is that when the truck is plugged in and the heater switch has been set to defrost there is enough heat generated from the block heater that it will defrost the windshield, at least that is what i have read on here so it has to be true, right. living where i do i will be trying it real soon.

rob
Now that's some useful information! thanks
Old 11-27-2005, 12:46 PM
dgm

Thanks for all the info. I stopped in to my dealer yesterday to see if they had a cold weather front and they couldn't even find it in the catalog! So, I guess I'll be ordering one online.

-daniel

Quick Reply: Its Cold! 2 Questions