3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injectors and Seats

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injectors and Seats

Man I hope I have not made a mistake,

I just bought a 2005 with 42K, 2 wheel drive all stock, but I did find a K&N air filter in filter box.

All I read on forum is injectors going out at 50K and expensive repairs.
Seats falling apart, etc:

I thought if you used clean fuel, changed fuel and air filters that these motors would last along time, but all i read is blowing injectors.
Is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening to my truck?????

Wife and I both think the seats in my truck are great.
much better than my old 2000 model chevy 3/4 ton.

So far I think my truck is great, hope that continues.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2005's are solid on inectors, bad fuel is the biggest culprit. Add a 2 micron filter between the OE filter and the CP-3 for better filtration going forward.

If you took the membership of all the popluar diesel forums together it would be less than 5% of the total ownership of these turcks. What you see posted here is a select few problems and a bunch of people pushing the limits one way or another.

I have 176k on the stock injectors with no signs of issues. Use fuel from high volume places or stations that cater to fire departments, sheriff departments, ambulance services, etc, and stay FAR away from the discount places. If you have to, pay the premium for the fuel. In the long run it will save you money.

I mix 96 ozs of Power Service and a quart of 2-stroke oil in small jug and add 10-12 ozs every 1/3 to 1/2 tank fill. Every 3rd fill I run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil with the PS to clean things out. No issues to date and it will still make 20+ mpg driven sensibly.

Relax, enjoy, drive.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:24 PM

once the seat foam breaks down and you are sitting on the rails you will be posting how much you hate them. but this is a SLT cloth seat problem not a leather seat issue. And you never know if previous owner had it fixed

As for the K&N if you are so worried about it. take it out. And run power service or FPPF or any good diesel addative.

Keep in mind that people use these trucks as work trucks. So if they are in and of dusty lots all the time then you may get injector problems. Also please note 95% of people that post regularly have ther trucks turned up. So thats more pressure on the injectors.

You ever go to the doctor and tell them about a pain you have. And how you found an artical on the internet and you think you are in a lot of trouble. The Doc then says to you. Never self diagnose off the internet.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the tips:

I did find out from our local towing service operator not to buy fuel at the discount stations, will ask where local fire trucks purchase fuel.

Did replace the K&N air filter with a new mopar 4" pleat filter and a new mopar fuel filter.
Local dealership mech told me to use Stanadyne fuel additive so I bought that brand, only additive I have used so far.
On my last 600 mile trip we got 22+ mpg which I was very pleased with.

Again, hope the seats hold up, so far mama is happy with them, if she is happy everybody is happy.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:57 AM

wellmax

one more thing, the mopar fuel filter you put in is real good, but not the best for our application. that would be a baldwin PF7977, i would suggest on your next change you use it instead.

there is a poster on the site (AH64ID) (AKA Dr.filter) that has chart with each filters efficiency.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...a-t273129.html

Joe
Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by no_6_oh_no
The 2005's are solid on inectors, bad fuel is the biggest culprit. Add a 2 micron filter between the OE filter and the CP-3 for better filtration going forward.

If you took the membership of all the popluar diesel forums together it would be less than 5% of the total ownership of these turcks. What you see posted here is a select few problems and a bunch of people pushing the limits one way or another.

I have 176k on the stock injectors with no signs of issues. Use fuel from high volume places or stations that cater to fire departments, sheriff departments, ambulance services, etc, and stay FAR away from the discount places. If you have to, pay the premium for the fuel. In the long run it will save you money.

I mix 96 ozs of Power Service and a quart of 2-stroke oil in small jug and add 10-12 ozs every 1/3 to 1/2 tank fill. Every 3rd fill I run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil with the PS to clean things out. No issues to date and it will still make 20+ mpg driven sensibly.

Relax, enjoy, drive.
good advice on fuel purchase:

talked with them today, they had water in fuel issues with the places i was buying my fuel.

They told me where they bought fuel and had never had problems so that is my new fuel depot.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:29 PM

not sure where you live. But fleet pride sells decent fuel filters as Does a Cummins dealer