3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector Testing

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Testing

What I am looking for is a place to get all the injector testing procedures to be able to diagnose all the injector problems. I am talking about the bypass test and the electrical tests and any other tests that can be performed. I am sure the info is out there but I would like a single source or place to find to find all the procedures. I am finding lots of info on different sites but you really have to hunt and I am hoping this thread will help people with the complete diagnostics.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I watch wind blow...

www.f1diesel.com has some info.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Because the star scan tool has dibs, sorta like a patent does. Your not gonna find much. I agree would be nice if we could understand injector performance and problems without the star tool.

We would need some known good injectors and some injectors with problems. Possibly ohm meter readings would reveal that resistances and voltage usage was different between all of the good ones and bad ones.

I am going to pick up a valve cover gasket and a plug for an injector bank next time at the junkyard. Then splice in some wiring to a switch box. Then I could plug my trucks injector wiring into that and test injector operation. Hope this makes since.

Run some wires to a 3 switch box. I could turn off and on the injectors this way. Could test 3 at a time with a 3 switch box.

Carey
Old 03-29-2010, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Colo~Dirtbikers
Because the star scan tool has dibs, sorta like a patent does. Your not gonna find much. I agree would be nice if we could understand injector performance and problems without the star tool.

We would need some known good injectors and some injectors with problems. Possibly ohm meter readings would reveal that resistances and voltage usage was different between all of the good ones and bad ones.

I am going to pick up a valve cover gasket and a plug for an injector bank next time at the junkyard. Then splice in some wiring to a switch box. Then I could plug my trucks injector wiring into that and test injector operation. Hope this makes since.

Run some wires to a 3 switch box. I could turn off and on the injectors this way. Could test 3 at a time with a 3 switch box.

Carey
That sounds like a great idea any idea on a wiring schematic for what your talking about. Also wont you have to have not only the valve cover but wiring harness from the ECU as well. Thx for the idea
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by hunterdiesel
That sounds like a great idea any idea on a wiring schematic for what your talking about. Also wont you have to have not only the valve cover but wiring harness from the ECU as well. Thx for the idea
Yeah, simply plug the ecu plug into the VC gasket plug, then run those wires to a switch for each injector. Then from switch to a spare ecu plug, then into the plug on the vc gasket on the truck.

Could check injector operation using the switches. No need to remove anything except the ecu plug on the truck.

One could build these and make some good coin.

One could even use an ohm meter type device to see impendance and resistance while testing the injector.

Bet a guy could build one for 50 bucks including the meter.

Sell em to Lary here and we buy them for say 150.. Injectors are horribly expensive and it would sure be nice to decide for ourselves if we only need a new nozzle or the injector body..

Right now, we go to dodge. They just say a yes or no to a bad injector. Many times its just very dirty, or has a worn nozzle. The electric part is just fine.

One can replace the nozzle very easy.

Carey
Old 03-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by hunterdiesel
Sorry, you would need the ecu plug and the plug on the vc gasket to build this.

They are commercially available from places other than dodge I bet. Prolly would have to buy em by the 1000 though.

Carey