3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Injector Return Flow Test Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injector Return Flow Test Question

When performing the Injector Return Flow Test, does a person need to use a scan tool along with the Miller Tools 9012 & 9011 or can the test be performed just using the Miller tools only?

I have 329k miles on the original injectors and injection pump since I bought the truck brand new. Once in awhile I have a rough idle, but not all the time. I have no white smoke or oil rise. I figured I would run this test then go from there. If there is a diesel tech here today who could chime in, would be appreciated. Thanks! Happy New Year to everyone!

Last edited by 6spd05Dually; 12-31-2012 at 12:38 PM. Reason: word edit
Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
miller tools only. the first test we did about six years ago on a 03 we ordered the tools but could not wait for them to get here, we preformed the draw-down test in a field and let the fuel from sources not under test just run out on the ground. we collected the sample in a freezer bag, the problem was obvious enough we did not even have to transfer it to a graduated cylinder for measure. the miller tools make the test clean and a huge savings of time. not all miller tools are needed and some can double up. the injector removal and insertion tool is not needed, the injector block off cap will double as a injector tube removal tool. the cp3 does not need fuel pressure to work, in fact the specifications state it will work from minus five psi to 20 psi a lot of the industrial engines do not even have lift pumps. after you find the problem pm me and will give instructions on how to build a 2 micron filter for less than $100 to prevent it from happening again. if you have to replace the injectors i can send pix of two more tools to make to ease the job. also when installing the wires on the injector, do not overtighten the nuts. it puts stress on the crystal leading to early failure. you will think it is not tight enough. i think it is 11 inch pounds
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carl48
miller tools only. the first test we did about six years ago on a 03 we ordered the tools but could not wait for them to get here, we preformed the draw-down test in a field and let the fuel from sources not under test just run out on the ground. we collected the sample in a freezer bag, the problem was obvious enough we did not even have to transfer it to a graduated cylinder for measure. the miller tools make the test clean and a huge savings of time. not all miller tools are needed and some can double up. the injector removal and insertion tool is not needed, the injector block off cap will double as a injector tube removal tool. the cp3 does not need fuel pressure to work, in fact the specifications state it will work from minus five psi to 20 psi a lot of the industrial engines do not even have lift pumps. after you find the problem pm me and will give instructions on how to build a 2 micron filter for less than $100 to prevent it from happening again. if you have to replace the injectors i can send pix of two more tools to make to ease the job. also when installing the wires on the injector, do not overtighten the nuts. it puts stress on the crystal leading to early failure. you will think it is not tight enough. i think it is 11 inch pounds
Thanks for letting me know. I will pm you after I find the problem which I hope to skate by a little longer. The truck has been very good to me. Guess you can say it's like a man taking good care of his wife and she takes care of you back. Happy New Year!