3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

improved driveability

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
improved driveability

Question for all the 3rd gen owners with more than 40k miles.

My 06 just passed 42K and the last day or so I have noticed the "Less pedal to drive normal speeds" SOTP feel. It is very noticeable.

I have never towed(yet) and I just got back from a 2K trip through the rockies. Is this saying the motor is broken-in or is it all my imagination
Old 07-20-2008, 01:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually a good long hard run does make these engines 'perky' afterwards.

MikeyB
Old 07-20-2008, 02:01 PM

I've noticed anytime i pull the boat a couple days after it would really want to run
Old 07-20-2008, 04:00 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've noticed it repeatedly too. Work the truck and it's more perky for a while.

I keep wondering why, but I don't buy the old "carboned up" theory.

I never really noticed any differences I could blame on break-in. It has always run good from day one (except during the lift pump problem). Now at 140,000 miles.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:41 PM

You should buy into the "carboned up" theory. When they changed my injectors they were very "carboned up" and I tow a decent sized camper on the weekends for a good part of the year, but I drive the truck empty every day for work. The way they have the engines set up for emissions on the third gen CR, they do in fact get a lot of carbon buildup when just tooling around. If you run at a decent speed on the interstate for a good long while or tow heavy for a while they do clean up a little and run better.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NickBeek
You should buy into the "carboned up" theory. When they changed my injectors they were very "carboned up" and I tow a decent sized camper on the weekends for a good part of the year, but I drive the truck empty every day for work. The way they have the engines set up for emissions on the third gen CR, they do in fact get a lot of carbon buildup when just tooling around. If you run at a decent speed on the interstate for a good long while or tow heavy for a while they do clean up a little and run better.
I know they develop some carbon. Of course they do. I'm saying what exactly is the connection between some carbon and lower power? Why exactly. I don't know if the power "loss" has anything to do with carbon. The tips cannot be clogged by some carbon on the injector with 25,000 PSI. A lot of carbon would actually raise the compression pressure by decreasing the available combustion chamber volume and might make it burn hotter. Carbon near the spray pattern could decrease the atomization and cause more smoke but I don't know if it would cause a loss of power.

Just wondering. Maybe the computer notices the difference in operation and tunes the engine differently when running easily for a lot of miles.

The difference I've noticed is a more immediate off idle response, not more overall power.