3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How exactly does a rear hub crack?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How exactly does a rear hub crack?

I posted this week asking about changing a leaky axle seal. So I went to the shop today with intentions of changing it out. As soon as I pulled the tire off, my jaw hit the floor. I don't have a leaking axle seal... The hub is cracked about 2.5-3" long and wide enough for a dime to fit in!.

Before I bought this truck, the dealer replaced the pads and rotors all the way around and I have maybe 4000kms on them. Needless to say I called them and let them know about the problem (not to mention the weeping new water pump they installed as well). They aren't hiding from it and I'll have to talk with the service manager next week about getting their shotty work fixed. I'm still well within the little bit of warrantee they gave me on the parts so I'm not worried about that.

Anyways back to my question, how the heck does one of these things split open?! Overtorquing the lugnuts? Poor quality parts? This blew me away really, I was not expecting to find this
Old 04-05-2008, 04:03 PM

I have not heard that one before, ever. Weird. Were you doing high speed competitive rock crawling again?
Old 04-05-2008, 06:12 PM

Haha no, the only offroading I've done was in a bunch of snow with some buddies (all terrains suck in the snow BTW). Otherwise my rig has stayed on the street just driven around town and on the highway. I'm stumped.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't visualize where the crack is by your explanation, but could it be from overtightening or uneven tightening of the lug nuts with an impact wrench set to 10?
Old 04-06-2008, 05:03 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Dont know about the dodge but over the years I have had two broken hubs on Subarus. Both of the hubs had problems after a break job. I do remember having to pound them pretty good to get them off but there were no cracks until after I had driven for awhile. The crack always lined up with a bolt hole.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Overtorquing or uneven torquing could crack them. More commonly the brake disc gets warped.

Uneven torque is bad. The roational forces are not evenly distrubuted over the disc/hub and causes problems over time.

Anytime I rotate the tires, service the brakes, or anything that involves taking a tire off, I always tighten the lugs with a torque wrench to the proper spec and in the right sequence. Prevents problems and gives some peace of mind.

Impact wrenches are great for removing stuck nuts, but I will never allow a tire shop to tighten the lugs with one. I make sure they know that too.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Overtorquing or uneven torquing could crack them. More commonly the brake disc gets warped.

Uneven torque is bad. The roational forces are not evenly distrubuted over the disc/hub and causes problems over time.

Anytime I rotate the tires, service the brakes, or anything that involves taking a tire off, I always tighten the lugs with a torque wrench to the proper spec and in the right sequence. Prevents problems and gives some peace of mind.

Impact wrenches are great for removing stuck nuts, but I will never allow a tire shop to tighten the lugs with one. I make sure they know that too.

Agree!!!

When I got a flat on my VW I needed a breaker bar with a 3 foot pipe and another person holding the socket straight to break the lug nuts free. How they expect a 115 lb women to change the tire while on the side of the road with that whimpy 7" long lug wrench they supply is beyond me!

Whenever possible (when I'm not too lazy) I use a torque wrench to tighten my lug nuts!!! Good habit to get into.