3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

How do I check hub-ABS & Brake lights intermittent???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I check hub-ABS & Brake lights intermittent???

My ABS &Brake lights continue to go on from time to time. I have an Acton scanner that said it was the front right sensor. I read here about hub problems so I jacked up the truck but I couldn't feel any play in the hub. I could feel play in the steering rack if I moved the wheel r & l but nothing up & down. Is this something I'd need to indicate in order to find out if the hub is going bad?
It seems to me, and others, that making a hub that cannot be rebuilt with new bearings & races is nuts. Why are we stuck with this type of engineering? Same with upper ball joints. An entre control arm has to be R&R. This is BS IMO
Old 11-21-2013, 03:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
there may be dirt buildup on the stator ring behind the wheel and is not reading the signal right try blowing it out with compressed air
Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dieselbuilder
there may be dirt buildup on the stator ring behind the wheel and is not reading the signal right try blowing it out with compressed air
I'll try this. Seems like if there was dirt blocking the signal it wouldn't come & go but maybe itswjust enough to do so.
I'll remove the wheel and make sure I can see that it's clean.
Good suggestion-cheapest & easiest is generally the pill for frustration caused by intermittent problems. Weird behavior according to other posts I've read.
Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Pay close attention to the hub. Remove your tire so maybe you can feel the bearings. They should be quiet and smooth. If the bearings are bad, they cause the air gap of the sensor to get too wide, that's what pops the light on.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:06 PM

Thanks. I have not checked it yet but I'm thinking more that it's dirt because the frequency of the lights going on & off is very random and has actually gotten more intermittent in the last couple of days???
Either way I need to give them a look.
I'll report back.

Originally Posted by DragonSlayer
Pay close attention to the hub. Remove your tire so maybe you can feel the bearings. They should be quiet and smooth. If the bearings are bad, they cause the air gap of the sensor to get too wide, that's what pops the light on.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:18 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ppsi
.....It seems to me, and others, that making a hub that cannot be rebuilt with new bearings & races is nuts. Why are we stuck with this type of engineering? Same with upper ball joints. An entre control arm has to be R&R. This is BS IMO
LOL, there hasn't been a non-sealed front bearing since the '80's.

The 2003+ 2wd Dodge 2500/3500 front end is excellent. Double A-arms with many adjustments, rack and pinion steering, huge front brakes.
It's an excellent design which is why the 2wd trucks steer and handle so much better than the 4wd trucks.

You are correct that the aluminum upper control arm has to be replaced if the upper ball joint is worn. I'm not sure if that ball joint can be removed and then replaced by an aftermarket part.
I had to replaced my slightly loose lower ball joints last year but my upper ball joints are still fine.