3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

??Hold on Mopar/Jacobs EB - Why??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
??Hold on Mopar/Jacobs EB - Why??

I have tried to get information from Dodge on this issue by contacting the dealer weekly for a month or so, emailing, and calling Dodge. No success with any contacts.

Yesterday the dealer stated that they are to return any EBs in stock and wait for 'improved' EB to be released in December. The dealer stated that no reason has been given for this action, just a request for compliance.

If it is a safety issue I think those who recently installed a Jacobs EB ought to have that information. There are rumors of fires being caused.

I plan to check on filing a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. As a consumer with a Jacobs EB and rumors of risk I think I have a right to be informed.

Any suggestions or thoughts on this? Anyone want to join by doing the same? Anyone else tired of waiting for information on this?

jr
Old 09-16-2004, 08:41 PM

My dealer told me the same thing only he didn't give me a date when they would be able to sell or install them. . I want a Jacobs brand and not an after-market brand so I guess I'll have to wait. I haven't heard anything about fires, etc..
Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Buzz
I haven't heard anything about fires, etc..
I read it here or on another Web site that the hold was because of fires stated in the engine compartment due to a leak at the junction between the EB and the turbo.

So far it is just rumor. Since I have an Jacobs EB which was installed before we took delivery of the truck in March, I want to know if it is safe to continue using.

jr
Old 09-17-2004, 05:10 PM

Well I have one on mine and to be honest I am not going to stop using it until DC or Jacobs comes out and tells me not to, With todays sue happy world I am sure if it were some sort of saftey issue they would let us know. Don't worry about what rumors you hear, this is the sorta thing that can easily get out of hand.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:09 PM

I got SICK of waiting and the "hemming and hawing" from Dodge.. I just installed the "Pacbrake".. It looks to be 'superior" to the jacobs.. No belt, it is an electric air compressor..
Old 09-20-2004, 09:39 AM

I had a Jacobs put on my 04.5 by the dealer before I took possession of the truck, and I too would like to know if it is a safety issue. I've made calls and just got the run around. I checked the exhaust brake and didn't see any signs of a leak so I just keep using it. Hope what ever their problem, it was a bad installation and not a problem with the brake it self.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:52 AM

Originally posted by Maccandy
Hope what ever their problem, it was a bad installation and not a problem with the brake it self.
When I talked to Carson Dodge last week I was told that they have been asked to return any Jacobs EB in stock and wait for an 'improved' model in December. This would suggest to me that installation is not the problem.

I am more than a little concerned, but find a dead end street every resource I try for information.

jr