3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Higher than normal boost, low top end power

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Higher than normal boost, low top end power

I have searched multiple forums for days to figure this one out...no luck yet. Here is the background info:

I brought my truck into my shop for a routine service including oil change, fuel filter change, tire rotation, chassis lube, etc. I started the truck, let it run for a few minutes then headed for home when I noticed the CEL on and the power seemed way down. I am using an edge monitor for guages only and the SMARTY has been set on REVO SW7 for months. My boost pressure is averaging 10psi higher than normal along with low power.

I pulled codes at home and got the following:

0107, 0642 & 0483

I checked the wiring for the MAP sensor, disconnected the EDGE and replaced the sensor. The code went away, but the sypmtoms are still the same. I also removed and cleaned my RAPTOR 100 gearrotor lift pump and disconnected the batteries for a couple hours just to be sure.

The engine sounds perfectly normal, no noises, rattles or any smoke at all has a nice smooth idle and starts normally. I just have low power and it is reading higher than normal boost. The low end power seems to hold out better until about 1500 RPM, but then it falls on its face as soon as the boost numbers skyrocket. I also don't understand why I'm suddenly showing codes related to the fan clutch after doing a service that had absolutely nothing to do with the cooling system.

Best I can tell is that I'm either running out of fuel and draining the rail (then why the high boost, though??) or there is some weird electrical problem.

Desparately hoping someone has, by chance, had a similar situation. I hate to take this thing to a diesel shop and waste hours of labor chasing a problem like this.

FYI: my truck is a California emissions SO 235 model with 200K miles and I have had absolutely no engine problems until this.

Thanks very much for reading!
Old 02-18-2012, 12:03 AM

I guess I'm not surprised by the lack of responses...this is not exactly a cut and try problem.

I think I'll get ahold of a rail pressure gauge if I have time, otherwise she's going to the shop.

Thanks for reading
Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get mechanical gauges and verify the readings. Reading thru the data port can introduce errors.

Since it was in for service it sound slike maybe they flashed your ECU and botched it. Might be something to verify.

The 03's have a TSB for corrosion on the ECU A & B connectors that will throw all kinds of glitches and errors into the system. Might be worth a check.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the reply...I do all my own work, so there was no reflashing of the computer.

I'll definitely look into that TSB for the possible corroded ECM connections.

After pouring over some more forums and articles I did find a few posts about a shorted fan clutch causing a no start or other running problems. The diagnostic seems to be to pull the fuse and go for a test drive. I do have this "low sensor reference voltage" code so maybe there is a short somewhere causing other weird things to happen if this reference voltage is common to other sensors.

I'm really leaning toward an electrical or maybe a fan clutch problem after learning all this. I just don't believe in coincidences like this & mechanically the truck seems to run fine.

I'm at work on a tugboat now, so I won't be able to work on this for another week.

Thanks again