3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

hemi vs. cummins

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hemi vs. cummins

a couple of weeks ago i traded my hemi in for a cummins. i really liked my hemi except for the mileage, and hated the hemi mileage twice that when towing. the hemi could tow my current travel trailer just fine, but the mileage blew. the timing and pricing was just right to upgrade.

i always thought that diesels were powerful, but slow. after driving my cummins for a couple of weeks, i realize that a diesel is an extremely fun engine and not slow at all. i have pulled my 5500# travel trailer and there is no comparison.

but, if both trucks were stock, which truck is faster? my observation is the hemi is quicker off the line but the cummins would catch up. for those that really know, am i correct? which truck would win 0 to 60 or a quarter mile? i'm pretty sure from highway speeds, the cummins would kick some 16 spark plug butt!
Old 05-13-2006, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by estesbubba
a couple of weeks ago i traded my hemi in for a cummins. i really liked my hemi except for the mileage, and hated the hemi mileage twice that when towing. the hemi could tow my current travel trailer just fine, but the mileage blew. the timing and pricing was just right to upgrade.

i always thought that diesels were powerful, but slow. after driving my cummins for a couple of weeks, i realize that a diesel is an extremely fun engine and not slow at all. i have pulled my 5500# travel trailer and there is no comparison.

but, if both trucks were stock, which truck is faster? my observation is the hemi is quicker off the line but the cummins would catch up. for those that really know, am i correct? which truck would win 0 to 60 or a quarter mile? i'm pretty sure from highway speeds, the cummins would kick some 16 spark plug butt!
I would think that the Hemi would win any "unladen" race, except top gear acceleration say from 50-70 (because of the Torque difference). The Hemi wouldn't win by a lot but I would think it would deifnitely win due to the higher HP. However, the great thing about the CTD is that the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of an empty truck versus towing 8,000 LBS. is about .3 seconds (according to a Truck Trend article some years back when the '03s came out). The CTD will do "its thing" whether it's empty or fully loaded; it truly is amazing!

I am sorry I cannot give you a more definitive answer. Hopefully some other guys have exact #'s.
Old 05-13-2006, 02:32 AM

Having raced my work buddies hemi my stock 305/555 cummins is faster out of the hole in a 4hi boost launch for maybe 100 yards. After that the hi rev hemi comes into its sweet rpm range and I max out
Old 05-13-2006, 04:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And, if racing is your thing.......READ THIS THREAD....

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=101846

Tell me you can get 800+ hp out of Hemi without blowing it to pieces. Our trucks are powerful and fast enough as is.......but they can be built up to be monsters with very little or no work to the bottom end.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:46 AM

Both are limited to 100-110mph, unless you remove the speed limiter.(electronically) With 3.73 gears, 100 mph is about 2700-2800 rpm with the Cummins, which is pretty much the end of the line. When I had my Hemi, 95 mph was 2500 rpm and it reved out at 5600 rpm. With a speed limiter removed, that Hemi will make you tighten your seatbelt as your **** bites a big ole peice out of your chair. (Poor mans speed limiter bypass is to turn the key into the start position and put your foot to the floor, no the starter won't engage the computer controls it. It will freak you out!) By the way, there is no turbo or charge air cooler on the Hemi. No forged pistions either. Apples to apples, no the block isn't as tough, but I've heard it has some big potential, for a parts wash solution burner that is.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:56 AM

My 1998 318 1500 with the mods in my sig.is faster for sure then my 03 is.Fuel mileage combined is about equal.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Banned

mods in sig , will beat the hemi every time you hookup
Old 05-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by BRayls
mods in sig , will beat the hemi every time you hookup
He actually stated:
but, if both trucks were stock, which truck is faster
I had an 03 1500 Hemi and it was far more of a rocket than my 05 Cummins. Sure there's plenty of room for building HP cheaply with the Cummins, but stock Hemi vs stock Cummins, the Hemi will kick it's azz in a quick race from 0-60 or 1/4 mile. The Hemi is simply happy screaming loud.

Personally, the Hemi always kept a grin on my face, especially right off idle. The Cummins, while it's a great engine, doesn't manage to put that grin on my face, and it's somewhat sluggish for the first second, right off idle. Same thing with 4 stroke dirt bikes versus 2 strokes. The 2 strokes have that grin factor, the 4 strokes don't, but they do have more torque.

Just yesterday, I was trying to drive from one parking lot, and into another lot, but it was seperated by a curb. I pulled straight up to the curb and tapped the foot pedal and it rocked a little but didn't jump over the curb like I expected it to. Second attempt....same thing. Kinda disappointed me, as I know if I had tapped the pedal with my Hemi 1500, it would have jumped right over that curb immediately. Maybe I need to do that foot pedal APS/TPPS (or whatever it's called) trick. Not sure how to though.

For me, the Hemi is more fun, which tells me that I'm waaaay overdue for an Edge Hot Juice or Bully Dog Crazy Larry.....or something.

Please no flames, just stating my opinion. But I love my Cummins!!!
Old 05-14-2006, 04:34 PM

Well my 98 1500 is not a hemi.Just a 318 with a few mods.Hemi is more then a 100 horse more then my 318 even with the mods it has.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have some experience with both the CR cummins and the hemi. My wife has an '05 quadcab 2wd hemi, and I've had two 04.5 cummins autos, in addition to my current '06 2wd 6 spd 2500. Here's the scenario:

The hemi will indeed win a 1/4 mile drag race against a cummins, both being stock. My 04.5 2500 with an afe filter setup went 16.40 at 80 mph. This is leaving fairly hard against the converter in 4 hi.

My wife's dead stock '05 (as in, stock down to the paper air filter) went 15.48 at 85 or so mph. No contest at all. Both trucks are quadcabs, hers is a 2wd with 3.92 gears.

The lack of response of the cummins for a split second is in the software-it is not inherent in the engine itself. I believe they strictly limit off-idle fuel for emissions reasons. They have to keep smoke to a bare minimum, which is why the 3rd gen trucks seem to be so much more boost dependent for fueling. As an example, my '98 12v would rev quickly by blipping the accelerator pedal-not mushy at all. Yet, both stock, the CR motors will walk all over a 12v in terms of both power and torque.

The characteristics of the hemi are COMPLETELY different than those of the cummins. I personally feel that the hemi is not a very good truck motor, except for maybe a short cab 2wd. It doesn't make enough off-idle torque, and needs to rev too high to really do the work of a truck. This goes double for the 2500 hemis.

Anybody thinking that the hemi is overrated and a bunch of marketing should drive a car with one. By just about all measures, the hemi is an EXCELLENT engine. It's misapplied in most trucks though.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by v8440
I have some experience with both the CR cummins and the hemi. My wife has an '05 quadcab 2wd hemi, and I've had two 04.5 cummins autos, in addition to my current '06 2wd 6 spd 2500. Here's the scenario:

The hemi will indeed win a 1/4 mile drag race against a cummins, both being stock. My 04.5 2500 with an afe filter setup went 16.40 at 80 mph. This is leaving fairly hard against the converter in 4 hi.

My wife's dead stock '05 (as in, stock down to the paper air filter) went 15.48 at 85 or so mph. No contest at all. Both trucks are quadcabs, hers is a 2wd with 3.92 gears.
You're spotting her 800 pounds so next time handicap her with some weight in the back. If that doesn't make you faster, pull a couple of her plug wires!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:04 PM

Oh, I know the diesels are heavier. I'm just talking about how the hemis run vs the diesels, both as they come from the factory. My '98 would have no trouble beating her hemi truck, if we ever lined them up.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:29 PM

Stock vs. stock, my vote goes to the hemi in a drag race. Also they are really getting awesome mileage with the new MDS Hemi. My dad has one and I can't touch his mileage with mine.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by v8440
Oh, I know the diesels are heavier. I'm just talking about how the hemis run vs the diesels, both as they come from the factory. My '98 would have no trouble beating her hemi truck, if we ever lined them up.
Oh I know, I was just razzing you! Losing to your wife, the shame of it all!

It's like the guy that posted about his 1500 hemi blowing away his CTD. He was talking about fun factor not apples to apples in the work mode! Sure can't fault him on that. When your grinnin ear to ear then what more could you want?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 AM

Hey, you guys want an example of what the hemi can do in a vehicle a little lighter than the AVERAGE truck they come in?

My best friend has an standard cab shortbed 2wd. The textbook configuration for good acceleration. It also has the lighter 17" wheels, and limited slip. It has the 3.55's instead of the 3.92's, which in retrospect may be hurting it slightly. I at first thought the 3.55's might be better for such a light truck, but after watching it run, I now think a little more gear would still help it.

Anyway, here's what's been done to it:

1. Cat back dual exhaust, made and bent by local muffler shop. NOT mandrel bent.
2. Remove air filter at track.
3. Remove tailgate and spare tire at track.

It has run a 14.85 at about 87 mph! This is on the stock original tires. There is no programmer, no nitrous, nothing. The only modifications are the ones I just posted above.

I don't care who you are, that's riding for what it is. It's his girlfriend's daily driver, so it gets used a lot.

Quick Reply: hemi vs. cummins