3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

HELP! Truck dies at random, cranks like fuel starved before restarting, no codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Truck dies at random, cranks like fuel starved before restarting, no codes

This is my 3rd Dodge CTD and my newest, 2003 Ram 2500 Auto/4WD. The other day, I was driving it down the driveway and the engine cut out for a moment and then refired on its own. The wife then tells me it had done the same thing to her twice the previous day. I checked for codes but found none. Earlier this year, the idle had been a bit erratic at times, again, no codes, but it seemed like it may have been the Fuel Control ? something or other. I had not replaced it yet.

Today, it stalled under power three times in the space of 15 miles, and she had to crank the engine for what seemed like an extended time period before it would start, as if it needed to prime. Again, no codes.

After the incident the other night, I replaced the fuel filter as a precaution. The filter assembly seemed to have less fuel in it that I recall as being normal when I opened it up.

Otherwise, the truck runs great, but the problem is getting worse. Am I looking at a fuel pump, FCA (Fuel Control? on the pump) or something worse. Mileage is 183k.

-Joe
Old 02-06-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like the canister mounted lift pump is on it's way out. If it's the original pump with that many miles on it, then you have been very lucky. One symptom is the pump will not hum when the ignition key is turned to the on position. They typically hum or operate for 20 seconds or so. If you perform the key code trick, see what you get. A bad lift pump typically shows P0628 code. Another symptom is the truck will act as if it is out of fuel and cut out. If you have a fuel pressure gauge, it will tend to read zero at times.

One method to test the pump is to place a graduated container under the clear drain line projecting from the fuel filter canister and open the yellow drain lever. At that point, turn the key on and bump the starter. The lift pump should operate for 25 seconds and at least 2 quarts of fuel should drain into the container. If not replace the lift pump. If you get 2 quarts then replace the filter. This does sound as though the lift pump is failing especially since the fuel canister did not have as much fuel it it as it normally would.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Lift pump is out actually. How it sorta stays running is the CP3 draws enough fuel.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Excellent information. Thank-you both! Guess I know what I will be replacing tomorrow.

-Joe
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Hopefully you find a direct replacement somewhere close to you. The dealership, should you go that route, will probably make you purchase a retrofit kit which places the pump in the tank and makes it much more difficult to replace if it goes out again. I'm pretty sure Geno's Garage sells the canister mounted pumps.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM

I think the pump has already been replaced with an in-tank unit. When I got home last night, I got under the truck and looked for the pump, but could not find it. I followed the fuel lines from the tank to the filter assembly and there was no pump in-line. Looks like I get to unbolt the hitch plate so I can raise the bed.

-Joe
Old 02-07-2013, 02:15 PM

The factory installed pump is black in color and located on the back of the filter canister.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:39 PM

Ok. I will take another look and see if it is by the filter canister. I was looking there, but may have missed it. I did a fuel pump relocate on our 2001 Dodge when I replaced the VP-44, so I did suspect it may be near the filter housing, but it was late and raining, and I was using a flashlight at the time. A second look couldn't hurt.

-Joe
Old 02-07-2013, 02:44 PM

I have attached a link from another post where I attached a page from the service manual,illustrating the fuel pump location.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=269646
Old 02-08-2013, 03:43 PM

After taking a closer look in the daylight, I can see the pump mounted on the filter housing. It is much smaller than I was expecting, (compared to the 1998.5-2002 pump). The truck has been parked since Wednesday and a new pump is on order, so hopefully I will have everything back in place next week, weather permitting.

I am guessing the mounting hardware is Torx fasteners?

-Joe
Old 02-08-2013, 04:51 PM

You will need an allen wrench in order to remove the four socket head cap screws that hold the lift pump to the filter housing. Be sure to remove the old o-ring from the housing.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 PM

Good as new! While I was waiting for the new pump to arrive, I started removing the 5mm Allen head scews that hold the pump to the filter housing. I was able to remove two, but I needed to get a socket set that had the 5mm Allen head wrench for teh two screws closest to the motor. My regular Allen wrench could not fit quite right.

The pump arrived yesterday while I was at work, so I got up and after it first thing this morning. It took about 15 minutes to remove the two remaining screws, replace the pump and clean up. I did remember to remove the old o-ring from the filter housing and now everything is back to normal.

Thanks for the help.

-Joe
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 PM

Glad you got it back together and running. A set of gauges would be beneficial in order to monitor things in the future.

Cheers
Old 02-15-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
Glad you got it back together and running. A set of gauges would be beneficial in order to monitor things in the future.

Cheers
Who makes/sells a good fuel pressure gauge for diesels?

When I replaced the VP-44 in our '01, I got a low pressure light and switch kit from the vendor that sold me the VP-44. It worked great for about a two years, then diesel fuel took out the sender, which eventually became an air leak in the fuel system. I replaced it with an electric fuel pressure gauge from Holley, but the sender only lasted a few months.

-Joe
Old 02-15-2013, 11:37 PM

I have DiPricol gauges in my 01 and have not had any issues since installing them in 2005. That was done while the the VP-44 was replaced and Fass pump were installed. Unfortunately! DiPricol is no longer in business.

If you want a good fuel pressure gauge, I recommend you look at the Isspro EV 2 gauge. They match the factory gauges well and have very good customer service. Give Lary at the DTR store a call using the DTR Store tab at the top of the page. I am sure that he can get the gauge and a mounting pod for you.

Quick Reply: HELP! Truck dies at random, cranks like fuel starved before restarting, no codes