3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

help newbie hopefully i didnt blow engine!!!

Old 09-23-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help newbie hopefully i didnt blow engine!!!

Hi every one. i was driving home on the freeway when my gauge light came on it said to check gauges. i saw my oil gauge go to 0 and then pop back up to middle then dropped again and stayed on 0. i live in cali so try to get off was impossible. it took me about half a mile before i could get to exit. going down the ramp i was afraid i was going to blow my motor so i put in neutral and glided down the ramp i started the truck again. to get me to a safe place to park. at this point i heard a griding noise. when i stop there was oil on passenger side it looked like from the oil filter. i got towed home on flat bed. so next day i replaced oil filter tried to turn on truck and it sounded like the starter went bad. so today i replaced starter but still wont turn over. my battery connection were bad so i cleaned them up hoping it would help. but still nothing the same clicking sound has before. did i mess up fly wheel or motor? what do i check. my expience is limited oil change, fuel filter, tranny oil and now a starter. please help and thanks in advance.2005 dodge 5.9 crew cab 4x4 stock
Old 09-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Moved to hopefully get you more and quicker replies
Old 09-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If it just clicks when you turn the key to start have you checked your batteries? You can also try to bar the engine over by hand. This will do two things. If there is a bad spot on the flywheel it will get you past it and it will also let you know if something is locked up.
User a breaker bar or ratchet with a cheater pipe to extend the length and use the nut on the lower crank pulley to manually turn the engine over.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks rockcrawler304. i will try tomorrow. does anybody know the size of socket i need. i just have a standard set nothing that big so i will stop after work to buy one
Old 09-24-2014, 09:48 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Rockcrawler is right. Start with barring over the engine. It is a tough engine to turn with the compression involved, try to differentiate that from "stickyness" in the turning.

You'll have to keep crawling back and forth but it will allow you to inspect the flywheel as you go around as well.

I'm afraid that you may be in for a catastropic loss... it doesn't take long without oil to ruin your rod and main bearings. The pistons will last slightly longer.

So internet diagnosis being an imprecise thing and based on your comments, if the motor will bar around ok and there is no galling of pistons to cylinders, you may be able to get away with dropping the oil pan and replacing bearings at a minimum. However, that would never be the sound advice a professional would give.

The sound advice would be a complete tear down and inspection.