3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help! DTT Shift Kit Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! DTT Shift Kit Problems

I finally decided to go with the DTT shift kit. I initial thought when I opened up the box was “this is what I paid all that money for”, but I figured that it was a custom kit. Then I looked at the instructions, which were very poor. Since all the comments I had read about DTT all praised their customer service I called them to discuss the installation. I Talked to Bill who basically gave me different directions then what was covered by the limited directions that were supplied. If I had started the installation without having called them first and following their direction I would have the incorrectly installed the shift kit. Once the installation was complete I took the truck out for a test drive. Initially I thought all was well. The shifts were crisper and more noticeable, but as I slowed down at a stop sign the truck made a big clunk noise. I found that the clunk noise one happened when the truck had reached 3rd gear and the then decelerated slowly. Under heavy breaking it did not make this noise. I immediately called bill at DTT again to discuss this. He told me that the clunking noise was 3rd gear releasing. He told me to shim the rear bolt on the TV actuator servo and up the voltage on the voltage regulator to about 4.9 V, he said that that should fix the issue. I did as instructed but the problem did not go away. Again I called Bill and he basically told me that about 50% of the trucks do that. I was concerned that the clunking noise would have adverse effects on the transmission and the truck as a whole. Bill told me that it was not hurting anything. This clunking noise seems to be getting more pronounced and I no longer believe that this is not hurting something.
Does anyone have another ideas or experiences on what this may be?
Short of removing the shift kit and going back to the stock configuration has anyone had any experiences with this and have any ideas on what I can do to fix it?
Also, if I go back to the original configuration does anyone have a good method of how to seal the holes I had to drill in the stock valve body?

Thanks in advance-D
Old 04-05-2010, 10:42 AM

PM Timinva. He is an authorized DTT builder/installer in Virginia Beach. He may be able to help you.
Are you sure your TV cable is adjusted correctly? I have a friend who just got one of their transmissions and he was having the same harsh downshifting issue when slowing down. I had him check that cable and it was indeed too tight which will definitely cause that to happen. He adjusted it properly and said it has not done it since.
TV Cable = Throttle Valve Cable
Old 04-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks Dodgezilla. The 2005 does not have a TV cable. It's actuator based. DTT had me shim the rear TV actuator bolt with no luck
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM

Got it. I was thinking they did the switch in 06. I'm not sure what else to try. Bill IS the master builder at DTT. I'd just keep calling him. Personally, I'd spend the extra $$$ and get a built valve body instead of messing with it myself. I know this comes too late for you but there are too many things that can be done wrong that will affect the performance of the truck..
Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 AM

What really bugged me was when I tried Bill's fix and it did not work, he told me that 50% of the trucks do that. If I was told that when buying the kit I would have passed on it.