3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Help- diesel smell, oily drips, dealer says this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help- diesel smell, oily drips, dealer says this...

On my 07, I've had a slight diesel-like smell around the truck after a drive. I also have an oily residue under the truck around where the transmission and engine mate and all along the crossmember under it. I'll usually get a few drips everyday. The fluid is light brown in color and seems to have a hint of diesel smell, could be some other aroma, but seems to be diesel. I'm not making any oil and the dipstick doesn't smell of diesel at all. Also tried the drop of oil on a white napkin trick with no fuel halo appearing. I thought it might have been my slave cylinder, so I changed it out. That wasn't it. It's not transmission fluid or coolant.

I finally broke down and took it to the dealer. They called and said they didn't find anything and that was a normal amount coming from the breather vent tube. Could this be? What's with the slight diesel smell? And how come it just started producing so much recently? I've only got about 14K on the odometer. The last time I changed the oil was about 3000 miles ago, and it's not overfilled.

Does anyone have any other ideas, or is the dealer right? Thanks for reading my diatribe and for any insight anyone can give!
Old 01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Check your oil level if it's high or smells like Diesel you have a bad injector.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:46 PM

No change in the oil level and not a hint of diesel smell. I was afraid of a bad injector, so that was one of the first things I checked.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Banned

can you clean the underside of your engine really well-and check it daily to see if you can pinpoint the source of the leak?

fluids can travel a long ways from their starting point-could be coming from just about anywhere....

Check your fuel filter & see if the bleeder valve is fully closed-also check the lid of the fuel filter-make sure you put a new oring on there when you changed the filter....
Old 01-14-2010, 01:29 PM

Tried that too. Can't find a leak ANYWHERE! Fuel filter canister, all fuel lines, CP3, injector lines, even reach way around back to see if the return line on the head was leaking- NOTHING. The highest point I can find any wetness is around the bolts of the oil pan on the driver's side. Snugged them up too, just in case, but the oily film is pretty clean.

The only place I can imagine it can be coming from is the breather tube. I don't see any vapor coming from it when the engine is running. I even popped off the oil fill cap while running to see if anything interesting was going on. If I look really hard I can just make out a very faint vapor coming out of the fill hole against a dark background, so all seems okay.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jqc99
Tried that too. Can't find a leak ANYWHERE! Fuel filter canister, all fuel lines, CP3, injector lines, even reach way around back to see if the return line on the head was leaking- NOTHING. The highest point I can find any wetness is around the bolts of the oil pan on the driver's side. Snugged them up too, just in case, but the oily film is pretty clean.

The only place I can imagine it can be coming from is the breather tube. I don't see any vapor coming from it when the engine is running. I even popped off the oil fill cap while running to see if anything interesting was going on. If I look really hard I can just make out a very faint vapor coming out of the fill hole against a dark background, so all seems okay.

Thanks for the ideas so far.
if you think its coming from the breather tube-extend it into a pop bottle or something....relocate it & check again to see if that is the issue.

If it is coming out of the breather-then my only guess would be an injector starting to have issues-but no smell of diesel in the oil would say it is coming from somewhere else.

Sorry, i can't really help u any more....good luck!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:49 PM

This could be two different problems occurring. It happened to me. The leak at the bell housing was the small hose up near the turbo leaking antifreeze. I tightened the clamps and no more leak. The diesel smell when stopped could be the cp3 pump leaking. Mine has been replaced under warranty once for the same thing and it is leaking again. Only leaks when it's cold. I would check these two things if you get a chance.

I found the hose by following the drip up until I came to the small 6" section of silver hose under the turbo. For the diesel smell I ran my hand under the cp3 and found fuel there. The fuel smell only appears when I have stopped moving. Good luck.