3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

A heads up on the 48RE transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 02:18 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds like Bill did his homework on that one. I would wonder what the plan by DC is to fix this, or if it's already been fixed.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
So which Grill is better? The George Foreman or the Hamilton Beach?

Whoops wrong thread. Not trying to instigate anything here honest.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foreman!
Old 02-11-2004, 11:09 AM

Here is what I was remembering. From the TDR site, Carlton Bale:

Originally posted by Carlton Bale
I just received official word from DaimlerChrysler engineering that an issue was identified on the 48RE transmissions that were tested with exhaust brakes. These were test vehicles that took a couple of trips out west (over the Rockies) and back. Apparently, the reverse loading from the exhaust brake caused unusually high thrust washer wear in at least one location.

At this point, I'm not sure exactly how this will effect plans to give warranty approval for the 48RE and the exhaust brake. I'm not sure if revised thrust washers or other changes will be designed and if they will be reto-fittable into existing transmissions.

I'll let you know as I find out more. At this point, I don't have a great deal of confidence that warranty approval of the 48RE and exhaust brake will happen by the end of this year.
This was 10/03/2003. And later he posted :
I quickly read through the other thread. This is not the same thrust washer; the thread is referring to one that is loaded during positive power, not braking.
So the Jan and Feb running changes might have changed some thrust washer, but not the thrust washer in question?
Old 02-11-2004, 02:33 PM

Ok so I've been reading this stuff about the thrust washer on the 48re. Im still not sure if it effects me or not, is it for the Jake brake people or all people, I bought mine to last forever not because I needed it, I never tow anything that is over 1K or so, do I need to be concerned?
thanks
Old 02-11-2004, 03:22 PM

I have to add my $.02 to this thread.

I am amazed at everybody's concern over the 48RE tranny.
Is it just because it is not E-brake rated? What auto trannies are e-brake rated?

Everybody used to holler about how bad the 47RE was, but in actual percentages, how many failed in normal(not bombed) trucks? I would have to believe only a very small percentage.

The 48RE hasn't been out long enough to even get a good feel for it's failures.

I think most people are making a mountain out of a mole hill on this one.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we'll see. Does anyone have over 100k on a 48RE yet?
Old 02-12-2004, 12:10 PM

There are two issues that I see.

There is the e-brake issue. There were both hardware and software production run changes for it, and it's still not approved. One of the changes was with a thrust bearing.

The other issue is with the thrust bearing failing early.

My hope was that they were related. One weak part, found two ways. And that the weakness was fixed for later trucks. This does NOT seem to be the case.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:54 AM

well my truck is in the dealer getting a new tranny now and i was asking them to replace the washer with this one but we will see....
Old 03-03-2004, 10:55 PM

My understanding from a PM from Carlton Bale was that a thrust washer was replaced in the 48RE in Jan and that another thrust washer associated with the 2nd gearing was to be replaced in Feb.
No other hardware changes for the E-brake was anticipated.

It will be as late as August before software has been tested and a reflash made available.

Don't know if only the 48RE's made after Feb. will be compatible for the E-brake or if DC will have a recall on 48RE's from Feb back for the 2004's.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:24 AM

at 27k miles i have just had the tranny rebuilt in my 2003 CTD 48re the dealer here in colorado cross referenced the washer part number and it matches the one now offered by the dealer in the rebuild kit. so i got a new tranny and TQ converter and the "upgrade" to the tranny. I was told the kit wasnt a second release but i dont know. do you suppose that the new trucks come with this new washer?.

just wanted you to know my experience with my truck and dealer.

im happy
Old 03-25-2004, 11:35 AM
Banned

27k, you needed the trans rebuilt, and you are happy??? Positive kinda guy aren't ya??? j/k
Old 03-25-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by 03racecarhauler
at 27k miles i have just had the tranny rebuilt in my 2003 CTD 48re the dealer here in colorado cross referenced the washer part number and it matches the one now offered by the dealer in the rebuild kit. so i got a new tranny and TQ converter and the "upgrade" to the tranny. I was told the kit wasnt a second release but i dont know. do you suppose that the new trucks come with this new washer?.

im happy
I'm a little confused... did they do this for free? Did your trans die or what?

I have a feeling I have one of the higher mileage 48RE's out there now... It's been treating me well and I only plan to run it harder in the next 6 months.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by 03racecarhauler

im happy
Well I'm glad one of us is happy! I, on the other hand have that sinking feeling...
Did the dealer install a new tranny or did DC cover a complete rebuild? And what were the symptoms of the trouble? Nathan
Old 04-16-2004, 08:23 PM

Any updates on the availability of an EB for the 48RE. Trailer Life (March 04) indicates that DC was set to release "something" in Jan '04. ??

I am in the process of ordering a 3500 quad LB dullie and would love to have an EB to help a little on the downhills with my 7+ ton 5th wheel.

Any info or pointers would be appreciated.

Cheers Frank

currently 12 valve '96 LB dullie -- love it.....

Quick Reply: A heads up on the 48RE transmission