3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Grid heater light

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somebody told me that the dealer could test injectors one by one with a scanner of sorts. My fear of taking it back to the dealer is that they won`t just fix whats wrong, they`ll want to put all new injectors .I had them replaced at 88,000 miles. If I have a bad injector I`m fixing it & selling this truck. The Dodge part has been a good truck but the cummings has been a $$ pit.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
follow this [url]http://www.rambodybuilder.com
Old 01-17-2012, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for the p0148 code you will have to do a leak down test to determine the problem. it is easier if you buy the miller tools ( about $100) but i have done it out in a open field without them i will try to post a link on how to To check the transfer pump 380ml in 10 seconds
Return flow from the cp3 1,000ml per minute max
Return fuel flow from the engine 180ml per minute max
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvFHz...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XESrN...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5tk...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMbB4...eature=related
Old 01-17-2012, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the help. The videos will help alot. My buddy is putting injectors in his 05 so I`ve borrowed two sensor from his truck. Sensor on the intake air & sensor on the intake. So far the grid heater light isn`t on. I`ll see if it works right in the morning , it`s getting cold tonight. Back to loss of power. It`s been in the 70`s all day here & my truck has run perfect. That`s why it`s hard to believe it`s an injector or maybe even high pressure pump. I`ll see if it loses power tomorrow when it`s cold & if so that should be a clue if I can figure out what it means. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
banyon fill out the bottom so we can see what year and something about what you have on the truck.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 PM

How do I do that? My truck is an 06 auto, stock except smarty jr that I`m not running now. I`ll put it on when I fix my problem. My truck started out this morning with low power. I was pulling an empty trailer & it would barely pull hills on the highway. When the temp hit around 55 it ran like new. This has got to be a sensor or software problem but it`s stumped me. Both grid heater light & engine light comes on all day. Oh yeah, when the grid light came on I grabbed a test light & the heater is not on, just the light.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:33 PM

Same Problem please help!!!

Did you ever find out your problem??
My '06 5.9 Cummins alternator quit charging, had the alternator rebuilt, still wouldn't charge. I found out the voltage regulator is in the computer, took to a shop, had the computer flashed and updated, charging system works well now. Roughly 7 miles down the road after leaving the shop Intake Manifold Heater light came on the went off. Over the next few weeks the light has randomly came on and off each time power decreased. When light goes off power returns. Now light stays on with loss of power, had codes cleared, light goes away and full power returns, when light is on the intake manifold heater is not functioning. After codes cleared the light will go off then slowly come back at random till it eventually stays on. Took to Dodge house to have scanned dealer charged 95.00 and told me I have 4 bad injectors and wanted to remove head to check top of pistons. Truck is not missing or show sign of bad injectors, only when light is on does the truck lose power. This light was never seen until computer flash update because of alternator problems. Can someone Please help???
Old 03-22-2013, 09:30 AM

yes. I pulled all 6 injectors & had them tested. Two were bad. I don't have a clue why the grid light comes on with a bad injector but it does. I haven't had any problems since I replaced them. Check codes on your truck, that will help. I think mine was PO 148.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:42 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Originally Posted by banyon
The Dodge part has been a good truck but the cummings has been a $$ pit.
Oh goodness.....why does everyone think they own a CUMMINGS??????? As Shorts would politely say...."There is no G, There is no G, THERE IS NO G!!!!!"

Just messin with you.....but that little oversight does annoy the crap outta some of these here members.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:06 PM

Yeah I know how to spell it. I guess I got in to big of a hurry. No offense taken. The thing that has bothered me the most about this truck is the poor dealership training. I've spent so much $ on parts I didn't need because the tecks don't know how to fix them. It's not that they don't try, just a lack of training at the dealership. I finally decided to work on it myself & have been much happier. Pamela, don't give up it can be fixed. Just keep asking questions
Old 03-25-2013, 08:14 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Originally Posted by banyon
The thing that has bothered me the most about this truck is the poor dealership training. I've spent so much $ on parts I didn't need because the tecks don't know how to fix them. It's not that they don't try, just a lack of training at the dealership. I finally decided to work on it myself & have been much happier.
I'll have to agree with you on that!!! Granted, there are some of the techs that know their stuff, but unfortunately, a lot of them don't.....they just tell YOU what the computer tells THEM. I had my truck at the dealership 7x's before it even had 60k miles on it for the same problem that they could never seem to figure out.....bad FCA!!! Go figure that one out.