3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fuel system troubles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel system troubles?

This is from a site called www.pavementsucks.com, it is under the diesel section for those who want to further check it out. Thought I would share it though.

"If you could sticky this it would be great. O.K. Here goes, i work at Lithia dodge of south anchorage and here is alaska we have been having a lot of issues with the new crd diesel truck 03+ in alaska but the problem is slated to hit the lower 48 soon without a doubt (have not had a single case reported on a non crd 02 and earlier model so you boys are alright) But anyways with the release of the new ultra low sulfer diesel they are having problems with the additives the epa is putting in there causing the diesel to be contaminated with algae, and also the detergents in the diesel breaking up the rust and scale deposits in the fuel holding tanks and that is being transfered over when you get fuel, your first sign will be that your fuel filter will be completely black, and you will notice a black tinge to the fuel sitting in the fuel bowl. if you immedietly put in a new filter and then open the yellow valve on the side on the filter housing and bump the key the pump will run for 25 seconds and if you look at the fuel it will come out looking like pond water you will not be able to see through it. but if you take that sample and let it sit for about a week the fuel will slightly clear up and you will see black particles in the bottom of the container the sample is in. the second symptom you will see a rough idle that starts only being rough when warm then very repidly goes to a rough idle at all times and soon enough your truck will stop running all together and you will not be able to restart it. when this happens the only fix is a new high pressure pump, 6 new injectors, new crossover tubes, you will need the lines and tank sterilized, you will also neew a new fuel sending unit and a new in tank pump. we have 17 trucks at our dealership requiring a whole new fuel system like stated above, we are trying to catch it as early as possible. SO GUYS PLEASE CHECK YOUR FUEL FILTERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE AND IF BLACK REPLACE IMMEDIETLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dodge has since changed the fuel filter from a 10 micron filter to a 7 micron filter but it is only helping so much, star the people who give all the dca tech info to us mechanics have also stated if you are experienceing any of these issues change your filter once a month and run any kind of good quality cleaner through every tank untill this matter is sorted out. i'm not trying to scare you guys to death i just want you to be very aware because this is not a warrenty issue, so if you take your truck to the dealer with this issue it will sit, unless you want to pay the $9k for a whole new fuel system. guys i just want you to be very aware this is a serious situtation. i hope that this helps because we have lots of ****** off people here in alaska. if you have any questions please do not be afraid to respond to this or pm me. THIS IS VERY SERIOUS GUYS!! I'm just looking ouy for you because it sucks paying anywhere from $30-$50k for a new truck that will have the entire fuel system from the tank to the injectors destroyed from this fuel. with the truck we have here at the dealership we have sent the fuel filter as well as pre and post filter fuel samples to blackstone labs in the lower 48 for testing. and with the ways things are going there is going to be one of the biggest class action lawsuit anyone can remember against the fuel distributors. good lock to you guys and i hope and pray to god none of you have to go through this."
Old 12-22-2006, 04:38 PM

Diesel fuel has been turning the filters black long before ULSD came along.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Agreed. Personally not too worried about it, just thought it was interesting.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:48 AM

This is why im waiting till 2010 till i by a diesel. I have a buddy at work who just bought a 2007 PSD, sorry since im sure he doesnt do much research im always giving him the latest and greatest infomation about this stuff.