3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Front Hubs Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Hubs Question

I had an accident back in Aug of last year (pics are in gallery). My left front tire took the brunt of the impact. Body shop did an excellent job with the repairs. I got a new wheel and tire for the left front from the accident and needed tires at the time so I only had to buy three more. While waiting on them to come in (tire shop ordered the non-load rated ones) I was checking things out from the repair and noticed that if I put the truck in 4-hi and then shifted back it would stay there until I stopped and sometimes made a turn. I attributed it to the fact that the new tire was bigger than the old one and somehow causing the axle to bind up (sounded good to me). After getting the new tires I noticed that if I shifted in and out of 4-hi it would take a few to unlock (if I kept my hand on the shifter I could feel the 'click' when it went back to 2WD). I've noticed lately that if I put it in 4-hi and I'm accelerating I can hear a roar (only way I know how to describe it) from the front end. Not real loud but louder that I think it should be. And it won't come out of 4-hi until I make a turn, then I can feel it 'unlock'. Took it back to the body shop and they said that I need to take it to the dealership and get it diagnosed and if they feel that it's due to the impact the body shop will pick up the tab from the dealer as well as make the repair. Body shop said they took the hub apart to check for damage and didn't find any. Is there any recommendations on ways to check to see if there is anything wrong with the hub without taking it to the dealer? As you can see from the pics in the gallery the impact was severe enough to break the steering linkage. They replaced that (duh) and also the steering box but besides the new tire and wheel, nothing else on the front axle was changed. Thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry so long.