3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fluidampr Install Questions on an 06

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fluidampr Install Questions on an 06

Has anyone done an install on an 06? How hard is it to do? Any tips and instruction is appreciated.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:47 AM

Take the fan off there are 4 bolts that hold it and the idler pully on u need a 10mm ratchet-wrench the easiest way pull it up and tie it out of the way or u can take the schroud off and take it all the way out.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The book makes no mention of the fan needing to come off....
it may need to for the fluiddamper????

DAMPER -

REMOVAL
  1. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  2. Remove the four (4) damper to Crankshaft bolts and remove damper and speed indicator ring.
  3. Inspect the damper hub for cracks and replace if any are found.
  4. Inspect the rubber member for deterioration or missing segments.
Inspect the index lines (1) on the damper hub (2) and the inertia member (3). If the lines are more than 1.59 mm (1/16 inch) out of alignment, replace the damper.

INSTALLATION
  1. Install speed indicator ring. NOTE: The speed indicator ring is located over a dowel pin.
  2. Install the crankshaft damper and bolts. Tighten bolts to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque, plus an additional 60°. NOTE: The damper must be installed so the hole is located over the dowel pin.
  3. Install the accessory drive belt
Old 09-16-2007, 08:39 AM

Are these really worth the $$$? They are expensive for what you get IMO, and I don't know anyone that uses one. I would consider getting one after reading a magazine article about them, but I figured if they were that great then more would have them.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by coolslice
Are these really worth the $$$? They are expensive for what you get IMO, and I don't know anyone that uses one. I would consider getting one after reading a magazine article about them, but I figured if they were that great then more would have them.
The main reason is probably because it's not a "glamorous" mod like a box, exhaust, etc.

I'd like to see more low-key and subtle mods on here.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 PM

Talking

I just installed one and I wish it was the first mod I made. Makes the idle much smoother and throughout the rpm range as well. No bling for sure, but it improves the truck and any time you reduce vibration it is well worth it.
Remove fan and shroud, easy and it saves you a lot of grief. About 90 minutes complete. Simple and straight forward. Turn your TDC mark where it is visable and put the new one on with the mark in the same place.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
The book makes no mention of the fan needing to come off....
it may need to for the fluiddamper????

DAMPER -

REMOVAL
  1. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  2. Remove the four (4) damper to Crankshaft bolts and remove damper and speed indicator ring.
  3. Inspect the damper hub for cracks and replace if any are found.
  4. Inspect the rubber member for deterioration or missing segments.
Inspect the index lines (1) on the damper hub (2) and the inertia member (3). If the lines are more than 1.59 mm (1/16 inch) out of alignment, replace the damper.

INSTALLATION
  1. Install speed indicator ring. NOTE: The speed indicator ring is located over a dowel pin.
  2. Install the crankshaft damper and bolts. Tighten bolts to 40 Nm (30 ft. lbs.) torque, plus an additional 60°. NOTE: The damper must be installed so the hole is located over the dowel pin.
  3. Install the accessory drive belt
You have to install the belt on the damper(fluidampr) before you do the final torque otherwise it is impossible to get the belt on after the damper is in place.

Ask me how I know!!

You will also need a barring tool (engine turning/locking) tool from Snap On otherwise the engine will want to turn over while trying to torque the bolts.
I suggest just taking the bolts up to 150-165NM....

Been running a fluidampr since early 06.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
You have to install the belt on the damper(fluidampr) before you do the final torque otherwise it is impossible to get the belt on after the damper is in place.

Ask me how I know!!

You will also need a barring tool (engine turning/locking) tool from Snap On otherwise the engine will want to turn over while trying to torque the bolts.
I suggest just taking the bolts up to 150-165NM....

Been running a fluidampr since early 06.
So do you have to pull the FluidDamper off to Change a belt??
OTC sells Barring tools too...little Cheaper then Snap-on...either way the Cummins barring tool is AWESOME for turning the Crank..if you do any of your own maintenance it is a must

The instructions I posted where from the book for replacing a stock Damper
Old 09-17-2007, 11:04 PM

So do you have to pull the FluidDamper off to Change a belt??
Already answered that question.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:12 PM

Already answered that question.
well excuse me

can you trim the fan shroud a little and get the belt on and off with out taking the damper off?
Old 09-18-2007, 12:18 AM

well excuse me

can you trim the fan shroud a little and get the belt on and off with out taking the damper off?
No, the fan shroud is not the problem.
The Fluidampr is physically larger than the OEM it replaces and does not allow for install or removal of the stock belt while it is installed/torqued to the crank.

So you want to get your ducks in a row so to say with belt sequence before you re-install the damper.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 AM

No, the fan shroud is not the problem.
The Fluidampr is physically larger than the OEM it replaces and does not allow for install or removal of the stock belt while it is installed/torqued to the crank.

So you want to get your ducks in a row so to say with belt sequence before you re-install the damper.
Thanks for the tips
Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 AM

If you can't get the belt off without removing the damper wouldn't it be putting too much tension on the belt?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
If you can't get the belt off without removing the damper wouldn't it be putting too much tension on the belt?
The belt track is the same size. The balancer part (outside) is the larger part and almost touches the fan pulley....
Old 09-18-2007, 10:10 AM

The belt track is the same size. The balancer part (outside) is the larger part and almost touches the fan pulley....

I see.....thanks!

Quick Reply: Fluidampr Install Questions on an 06