3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

First towing experience!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First towing experience!

All, had my first chance to tow with the new truck (HO 6-speed) yesterday. I pulled a 26ft enclosed trailer with my car minus engine/trans. I got around 11mpg and could definitely tell something was behind me. I have never towed nor owned a diesel before so I don't know really how to compare it but it still had power taking off compared to a gasser but it was quite slow picking up speed. The truck has 3000 miles on it. <br><br>Anyway, one of my main questions is that I noticed after unhooking the trailer at a friends and driving home the next 30 miles or so, the mileage still stayed at 11 mpg and driving today to work it did not improve either. Is this normal? And what about the slow take off. The wind was pretty fierce here and was really blowing the whole truck around. It still was a neat experience though.<br>Thanks!<br>
Old 02-12-2003, 05:41 PM

Re:First towing experience!

DodgeClown,<br>Yes, the truck is silver????? What made you say that??<br>It also has 3.73's I believe. It runs about 1900rpm at 70mph.<br>Okay, you gotta explain the silver thing...lol<br>Kyle
Old 02-12-2003, 05:43 PM

If you're relying on the overhead comp to tell you the MPG, then 30 miles down the road is not going to sway the &quot;average&quot; readout given by the computer by much. I say this without knowing how many miles you actually towed for etc. but that would be my guess for what it's worth. [undecided]
Old 02-12-2003, 05:46 PM

converteddzlr,<br>I pretty much thought the same thing but didn't want to reset the computer. I am sure you are correct about the mileage, but what about the pulling? Do these trucks get really lagged by 5-6000 lbs. I am just guessing the car was around 2500 lbs and the trailer another 3000.<br>Kyle
Old 02-12-2003, 05:48 PM

DClark, welcome aboard <br> You didn't give a lot of details so I really don't know if you have a problem but I suspect not. Try resetting the computer and then seeing what it reads. If the trip was long then the milage won't improve because it reads the adverage mpg since the last time it was reset. Also, you should expect it to accelerate slower with a load (unknown weight?) than it would without a load. Also, a head wind kills acceleration and mileage. Give it a try and let us know the result.<br><br>The Boss Hog<br>(trying to help)
Old 02-12-2003, 05:54 PM

I haven't towed with mine yet but I have had 2600 pounds in the back and really didn't notice much difference in engine performance, only that the truck took the speed bumps and road cracks much more smoothly <br><br>Mind you, I only have a lowly SO 47RE combo, unless maybe I got an HO by mistake <br><br>And, slap me silly for not welcoming you aboard. :-[<br>I've learned a pile from the folks around here and I'm sure you will too. It's my first diesel as well and I just cna't seem to get enough time behind the wheel ;D
Old 02-12-2003, 06:05 PM

Boss,<br>I agree totally about the mileage thing. I am sure there was a pretty big headwind etc. I am guessing it would've only hit about 75 tops it seemed if I had it to the floor. Hopefully it will improve with better fuel in the summer months.<br>Kyle
Old 02-12-2003, 06:19 PM

KClark,<br> Hang in there baby, it will definately get better ;D I have the same setup as you and on my first towing test, I had a 8000 lb load easily up to 85 mph where I decided to quit.<br><br>The Boss Hog<br>(darn, it only hit 75 degrees today)
Old 02-12-2003, 06:25 PM

Also forgot to note that the truck ran about 15-20 lbs. boost the whole time and 7-800 degrees through the exhaust.<br>
Old 02-12-2003, 07:16 PM

exhaust temp seems a little low. Where is the temp prob ? pre-turbo, or post turbo ? <br><br>Boost actually sounds low as well, based on what I've heard from others - don't have my truck yet : so I'm not sure what the new ones are running...but I thought someone said high 20's - close to 30 lbs stock.
Old 02-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Chapter President

Dodgeclown, sorry to bust your &quot;silver theory&quot;, but mines silver, and it ROCKS! It does have the 4:10's though...CC
Old 02-13-2003, 12:09 PM

On another thread someone mentioned DC recomends driving the first 500 mi easy, also the first 500 towing at 50 miles an hour. They also said it is in the owners manual. I haven't had time to look yet.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:55 AM

my dodge is silver. SO 47RE.. I pulled a open trailer, with my Nova on it.. I would say about 4500 lbs all said and done. The truck pulled like there was nothing there.. <br>I think a lot of people forget that they own a diesel truck and not a sports car. <br>my dodge has 7500m/ks on it.

Quick Reply: First towing experience!