3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Fed Up and Done with my truck and Chrysler!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fed Up and Done with my truck and Chrysler!!

Been a while since I been on here, A lil update for ya's.... Last year and a half or so I've noticed my truck not shifting right from 3-4, kind of feels like a 3, or sometimes 4 part shift from 3rd into 4th, I dropped the pan and noticed the fluid was a very dark brown. Bought it to a local dealer and complained. At first they said, trans would prob need a re-build, after having it a few days, told me all it needed was a power flush through the trans, and new filters, so instead of paying my $100 deductible, they wound up hitting me for almost $400, and truck is still shifting funny from 3-4. Yetserday I went for a ride with the tech., and he said it's normal for the Rams to shift like that. I told him, if it's normal, why for 5 1/2 yrs did I never feel it shift like that, than all of a sudden I start feeling this, if its "normal" it should of felt like this from day one, again. nobody wanted to hear it!! Also, they said I needed upper and lower ball joints, at only 29,000 miles?? I found it hard to believe!! Now the kicker is, They said they would cover the ball joints as part as my service contract, but in order to do the job, they will most likely wreck the hubs and backing plates, which are not covered, and want me to at first shell out $1,100, and after calling RAM's offices and complaining, they dropped it to $700 out of my pocket! I have been battling this B.S. for a while, I even have two friends that are service writers for Ford and Honda, and both told me it was absolutely rediculous that this is what they are telling me. I could go on and on and on about what Ive been through the past couple of months with my truck and the dealership. Im fed up cause I feel like Im battling a non-winning fight. I had one mechanic friend tell me to contact an arbitrator and tell them my troubles and see if they would help. Any advice??
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Not running extremely large tires, so why the heck have your ball joints went? I would go to another dealer. BTW, the 3-4 hunt problem is a $100 solenoid.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Badd Dogg, despite your low mileage, none of the issues you are having with your truck or the dealer are unique to you or shocking news.

The trans issue is talked about in numerous threads over the years. The stock 2005 48RE trans is weak from day one. I'm surprised you didn't have issues prior.

The weak ball joints are also talked about in numerous threads plus the weak front sealed hub bearings in the 4x4 trucks plus the difficulty in installing them.
I'm also surprised your ball joints lasted this long.

The Dodge Cummins truck is not perfect but neither are Ford or GM diesels nor any other brand.

Read up on the issues. Hopefully you can afford to forget Chrysler as the less time your truck is at the dealer, the better.

There are tons of quality proven solutions provided by the aftermarket to fix your trans & front end of your truck properly.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM

Yea, I have read up on some of the articles, I understand that the trans is a weak unit, I just want what I think is right. I am disable due to a bad back, and do have a limited income, so to have an extended warranty to just be told you still owe us a few hundred dollars to me just doesnt sound right?? I could see If I was out of warranty, than yea, I have to pay. One of my mechanic friends even agreed with me that if Chrysler put lousy ball joints in from the start, they wouldnt have to get replaced so early, so than why should I have to pay out for this job, it's there cheap parts from day one, if they failed, than they should cover it, again, if out of warranty, I pay, but this has been an open case since April. I wouldnt even mind shelling out maybe $200 or so, but $700-$1100, for a still covered truck is just plain wrong.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm sorry for your situation and I'm sorry if I came off as harsh.

In your shoes, I would likely continue to fight Chrysler. Read the extended warranty contract very closely to see what it says.
The contract is the bottom line here.

And you are right, if the ball joints are faulty & covered by extended warrany, Chrysler should fix them with no questions nor extra charges unless there is something in the extended warranty contract.

Stay calm, business-like & very logical when dealing with Chrysler.
Refer to & bring in a copy of the extended warranty contract & let that be the basis for discussion.
Also, any commitment that anyone tells you from Chrysler or the dealer is BS unless it's in writing.

Good luck, I wish you well..
Old 06-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Stealth No offense taken, I do appreciate you info. Im gonna try and do my best to get what I deserve, thanks
Old 06-12-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what the 05 warranty is but I'm guessing you don't have any, except for the engine. I think I'd find a reputable independant garage/trans shop. Craig
Old 06-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Craig, I purchased th extended warranty with my truck which it is still covered under, it actually expires on the 18th of this month, but this hs been an open case since April..
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would find a new dealer/service dept. Fast, before your out of warranty. Your being fed a line of bovine fecal material. My 04 has NEVER shifted funny. I did replace lower ball joints...at 100k miles running extra big tires for 50k that I know of. I replaced them myself and didn't destroy anything. Took about 2 hours.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:20 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Badd Dogg, sounds really like the trouble is a terrible dealer. If you took the truck in and tranny already had burnt fluid the tranny was already going. No flush would fix it and "probably" need a rebuild should have been "needs" a rebuild.

I feel for you though. I do hope you can find a reputable place.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:23 AM

Location: Frozen Northern Minnesota, Darn Close To Where Perma-Frost Begins...
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The boys are all correct. I'd find a new dealer to work with. It takes great intestinal fortitude to deal with the stupidity at Chrysler, LLC. Keep in mind they were a bunkrupt company and still hovering close to the affore mentioned. I went through an arbitration years back. Five corporate suits with brief cases showed up to explain the way it was to some poor Judge that probably didn't drive or rode the bus. You're better off following the chain of command and keep making them aware of your issues until all of Auburn Hills recognize your voice on the phone. Happy hunting.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hate to hear these things happen to anybody.

Hope you can get to a different dealer. that sounds like the biggest problem right there. A lot of dealers have no actual Diesel techs. Ask your dealer if the tech is a certified diesel tech or just a tech who happens to "Know about diesels" because there is a BIG difference now a days!!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, all mfg service departments could be/are the same way.
I've had the best and worst experiences to date with Chrysler (bought ONE new vehicle under warranty in my life and it wasn't worth the hassle for the most part).
As others stated, your trans is not right, try to find another dealer while you have warranty left. Maybe get a reccomendation from someone on this site for your area.
Regarding the ball joints, mine have been "bad" for 50k mi now and the truck still drives fine and doesn't eat up tires. Mine are out of spec on caster (non adjustable) and have been at least since I had an alignment done 50k mi ago.
Use your own judgement on the ball joints. If the truck drives fine, and tires are wearing normally don't bother getting them replaced (unless you can get warranty on a new set).
Old 06-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think if they have to destroy parts to repair the covered parts, then they have to cover the parts they destroy too! If a bearing goes out in your engine, do you think you'll have to pay for engine removal, disassembly, all gaskets and labor and reassembly except for the half hour they spend fixing the bearing? NO. Getting to the failed part is part of the warranty claim.

I have run oversized tires for over 130,000 miles and still have the original ball joints. One mechanic told me they were shot at 40,000 miles and I laughed at him. My tires wear fine with 10,000 between rotations and my truck drives great.

I also have a dentist that told me 6 years ago I had three cavities and he wanted to fill them. I never have had a cavity and I still don't. I asked him a few years later why he never found those cavities again.... He didn't remember ever seeing them.

You are a number. A boat payment. They will suck you out of every dollar you want to give up.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:55 PM

Complete, and I mean TOTALLY complete, new front end put in by "ME" at
72k miles, ***.
I was NOT going to give any money to the dealer for their edit labor practices.

Your transmission problem/cure may be as simple as a fluid change, filter, solenoid, and transducer.
At 75k miles, I had a similar problem as you are experiencing.
Takes less than a half hour, very simple.
MY TRANNY IS ABSOLUTELY SHIFTING LIKE A NEW ONE !!!!!!!
Check out this link.....
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...noid-48re.html

I am down at my sisters house on Bard Ave. very frequently. If you are close, I would be happy to help you rebuild your front-end, and do that tranny job, in exchange for lunch.

Quick Reply: Fed Up and Done with my truck and Chrysler!!