3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Exhuast smell in cab at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhuast smell in cab at idle

Noticing little stuff with the new truck - one such is the exhaust smell in the cab of the truck while sitting at idle. It's mainly when the heater is on. This happening to other folks, or do I need to check for an exhaust leak around the downpipe?

Thanks guys.
Justin
Old 12-20-2005, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by RockcrawlingTJ
Noticing little stuff with the new truck - one such is the exhaust smell in the cab of the truck while sitting at idle. It's mainly when the heater is on. This happening to other folks, or do I need to check for an exhaust leak around the downpipe?

Thanks guys.
Justin
That's a good thing to check.

You probably also have some holes that can be filled in the cab. I thought I read a thread here sometime ago about it.

Have you searched the forum for cab exhaust smell
Old 12-20-2005, 09:19 AM

I've not searched yet - I was just happy I finally remembered to post up the question! I'll search around the site...
Old 12-20-2005, 10:17 AM

Is it when it is idleing, could be just the fans drawing it into the cab. Mine does it when the wind is out of a certain direction.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:33 AM

mine has done it since day one...but only when parked at leat 5-10 min...and it not obnoxious, just a reminder of whats under the hood
Old 12-20-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the diesel smell in the cab a problem?

I love that smell!!

Search the site...like bigblock2stroke said...there may be some holes that you can fill to help reduce the smell if it bothers you.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 AM

Not so much that it bothers me but it does bother the wife. Found some things on the site so far to check, so when it's warm enough I'll be doing those suggestsions.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM

That smell is normal. Not all oil(s) have "aroma's" that are as strong as others.

In my truck, the factory oil and Rotella were the stongest. Amsoil and Mobil1 had the least amount of stink.

The stink will go away as the oil gets some miles on it.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not so much that it bothers me but it does bother the wife. Found some things on the site so far to check, so when it's warm enough I'll be doing those suggestsions.
I know what you mean. It bothered my wife for a while, but I think she eventually got used to it...or just decided to stop about it.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 PM

it also depends on which circulation setting you have on...one circulates and draws in the outside air were the other circulates the circulated air

know what i am saying?
Old 12-20-2005, 05:05 PM

Yeah, I understand about the outside circulation verses re-circulation of the in-cab air. I just hadn't experienced this even in my old PSD so... after reading posts on here it seems to be a common problem that some have resolved via gromets plugging holes, longer vent tube, etc.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Chapter President

Yes, the intensity of smell does go down when the oil gets some miles on it. For me though, the smell seems to go away only about 1-2,000 miles before the next oil change which is about 8,000 mi. It's not all that bad though, cause it's like I have my own service oil soon indicator. When smell goes away, it's about time to change oil.
Old 12-21-2005, 04:39 AM

Thanks guys.
Justin

Yes I did have exhaust smell in my cab at idle if the wind was right or whatever. I'm giving you credit that your smellin diesel not oil from the blowby hose. Anyway the fix and the root of the problem is located in the cowl box. That's below the plastic intake grill (wipers) against the firewall. Pull the wipers and the insulating black foam like moulded thing and you'll get to the sheet metal. Inside their are drain holes/access holes that came from the factory without plugs. Some trucks have them I'm told and most don't. If you tape those openings up leaving a small drain space I found it worked for me. I got the solution from a old post on dieselram two years ago. I don't think it is still searchable, to bad it had pictures and a step by step procedure.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
Yes I did have exhaust smell in my cab at idle if the wind was right or whatever. I'm giving you credit that your smellin diesel not oil from the blowby hose. Anyway the fix and the root of the problem is located in the cowl box. That's below the plastic intake grill (wipers) against the firewall. Pull the wipers and the insulating black foam like moulded thing and you'll get to the sheet metal. Inside their are drain holes/access holes that came from the factory without plugs. Some trucks have them I'm told and most don't. If you tape those openings up leaving a small drain space I found it worked for me. I got the solution from a old post on dieselram two years ago. I don't think it is still searchable, to bad it had pictures and a step by step procedure.

Any trick to taking the moulding off? I've not looked at this yet as I'm not home during daylight hours until Thursday so if I'll understand as soon as I look at it, just say so.

Thanks again for the responses guys.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:28 AM

Fresh air kits supposed to help problem. I know Geno's garage has em.

Quick Reply: Exhuast smell in cab at idle