3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Excess smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Excess smoke

Have a problem and hope that some of you 'spurts here can help. My truck is a 2003 2500 with the HO Cummins. It lives at an altitude of between 6,000 and 8,000 feet. Mileage is 180,000 miles. It has always smoked a bit on hard acceleration at these altitudes, but the performance was still good. Recently it started to smoke a bit more, so figured that it was due for new injectors. Opted for the F1 20 HP injectors.

The new injectors certainly give me a bit more power, but have dramatically increased the smoke at any acceleration. Had a one time tune installed which is set for towing mode. Great performance, but the smoke level is not acceptable. Even mild acceleration below about 1,500 RPM produces smoke. Hard acceleration at any RPM obliterates the traffic behind me with a big black cloud of soot.

Here is where I need advice. What can I do to reduce the amount of smoke at acceleration without throwing a lot more money at this thing? Going back to stock injectors is costly, but it will still smoke at these altitudes. Correct? I am wondering if I should consider installing a tuner such as a Smarty to 'detune' the engine (will this reduce the smoke?) for daily running around town, but allow power on demand for when I really need it. I need all the power that I can get because I drive up in the mountains a lot on very twisty two lane roads with lots of slow traffic. Passing is possible only on short stretches of road, so at those times need all the get up and go that the truck can provide. Very seldom tow lately, but if I do, need the extra power on the hills. Weekly drive from 6,000 feet to 8,000 feet in less than an hour.

The primary problem appears to be the altitude. Rail and turbo pressures appear to be correct. Any suggestions for how to cure my heavy smoking beast? Am afraid of failing the next emissions test. If I do install a Smarty, then which one?