3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

EMC or fuel pump problem....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMC or fuel pump problem....

I have 2004 Dodge RAM3500 M-6speed Cummins 5.9L HO diesel. Original problem was headlamps and brake lights and was told that TIPM having problem. Had high beams but only one low beam. Truck was running great besides that and didn't have money to fix at time so didn't fix when should have!! Anyway, lights would come on sometimes in the middle of the night from this electrical short causing the batteries to drain so bought two brand new batteries. Had to leave town for 2 wks and when I returned, new batteries were dead. If ran truck at least every 4 days then truck ran great with no problem - I guess because driving it was keeping them charged. Anyway, these two new dead batteries were unabled to be jumped and so I was able to get them replaced with two brand new ones. Now comes the current problem --- mechanic says it the computer because truck would not start with two new fully charged batts so as a comfirmation, I had truck moved to a shop that works on lots of diesels. This shop confirmed that the EMC was not communicating at all so I sent my EMC in for repair and it was returned as not being able to be repaired due to main processor being damaged so I purchased a refurbished EMC that was programmed with my VIN. My mechanic called to say EMC installed and truck fired up nicely but only ran for 15sec before dying, then started again and ran 6sec as if not getting fuel. Mechanic says he isn't sure if this is a programming issue in the EMC or if a fuel pump problem and wants to know how I want to proceed. Ugh!! Well, I don't want to spend money on replacing a fuel pump if not needed. Does anyone know what is programmed into the EMC?? Or where I can get a list of all the things the EMC controls. If my VIN wasn't programmed into the EMC properly, would the truck even start at all? I am female and am not mechanical but do try to research things before being taken advantage of so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!