3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Effects from Elevation Changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grit Dog
Dude, you argue about everything!
3-4% per 1000' is naturally aspirated engine power loss.
Rough #'s of course and no I don't have some irrefutable data to back it up, so don't ask.

I don't notice much, if any power gain going to low altitude with a TD. Gassers are like a whole new vehicle when you get out in the flatlands.
Yep that's me. I do like to debate (argue if you must) so that I can sometimes be educated and sometimes educate someone else. In the case of this thread I think I can contribute positive information.

The laws of physics do not care if you have a mighty CTD or not. The loss is still there until you compensate for it by adding boost but there is a limit to what you can add. There is also the fact that different turbos have different performance curves and some just really do not like thin air.

I had never heard of a 1.2% loss and since it was so exact I just wanted to know what it was based on, is that too much to ask.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 PM

The turbocharged diesel is naturally altitude compensating. The higher you go the lighter the air so the turbo spins faster to make the same or close to the same boost. The side effect is that eventually at a high enough altitude the turbo will overspeed and fail catestrophicly (sp). So.. If you are stock you are ok and could check with Cummins or Dodge for the max altitude. For CAT it was full rated power up to 7,500ft. I mention this because many on here mod the engines and any mod that is going to drive the turbo harder will bring it closer to the turbo rpm limit quicker as altitude increases.

Now.. Is our ECM smart enough to know the speed limit based on the inlet pressure and engine parameters and fuel back??? I don't know. It seems like the required sensor information is available to the ECM.

The natural altitude compensation is one reason later piston military aircraft could go higher and maintain HP.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM

+1

Originally Posted by RTillery
I live at about 6100 and have had my truck up over 14000. Still plenty of power up that high but egts rise quickly and it is very easy to bark the turbo. If your not going anyplace off the beaten path in Colorado you should be fine. Just watch backing off the throttle quickly if you are into it hard and have a great trip.
Good advice,,, Yes ease out of the throttle!!!!!