3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dynatrac vs "EMS Offroad" Free Spin Kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I talked with EMS and they told me that the difference between the two is that you still use dodge parts with theirs and that the Dynatrac uses custom parts. This may be a problem in the future for parts.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:32 PM

Nice pick and very nice ride, but, how far do the hubs stick out on stock, that is factory stock rims? Also, what Dodge parts are used on the hub conversion compared to Dynatrac?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:37 AM

Pics are up! Dynatrac Free Spin Hubs on my 2006

Last edited by JohnInNH; 05-15-2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Pictures added
Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 PM

JohnInNh,

Nice looking truck and good pictures.

How did the install go?
Did you install the Dynatrac yourself?
Any problems or surprises in the install?

How long did it take?

FWIW:

I have the dynatrac kit sitting in the shop waiting for the delivery of my 2007QC DRW LWB 4x4 which is suppose to be in the end of this week or the first of next week.

After talking with Dynatrac I learned that the centers of the "stock" front dually adaptors are to small and can't be used with the Dynatrac kit. Upon thier recomendation I ordered a set of front dually adaptors from Arrowcraft.

George
Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks for the pictures. that's the first time I've seen them on a stock truck. They do stick out a ways. No dought it's a 4X4. Don't knock those hubs off on a fire plug or parked car.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Wow, for a 3MPG improvement, they should come from the factory like this.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:11 PM

JohnInNh,

If you get a chance could you measure from the wheel mounting surface to the end of the locking hub and post it? Thanks
Old 05-15-2007, 09:22 PM

I just checked my 1990 Bronco and they stick out but not beyond the tire.

Does anyone know if the EMS kits protrude the same?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:39 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my old f350 portruded the same amount. so did my 1990 dodge

i like the fact that ems avoided the dynatrac foul up. dynatrac uses some custom parts so you have to come to them for replacements. which is stupid i had a friend spend five days in montana waiting for a hub and spindle and stub shaft on his dodge that had a hub converssion. there are no over the counter parts on that kit. i imagine there is no over the counter hub or spindle on the ems but from what i hear the stub shaft is a over the counter counter part as well are the bearings. the hub and spindle must be custom for both setups bearings should be std? hmmmm

also on my cummins converted ford i used to get 21-22mpg with hubs unlocked and 18 with hubs in occasionally 19 so a 3mpg gain is accurate
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 AM

Both EMS and Dynatrac use Dana 60 bearings and races. AA has never produced manual hub assemblies for Dodge so I am not sure what over the counter parts there are. Maybe the ABS rings? Dynatrac is made in Huntington Beach Ca, 45min from my house. EMS had their hubs made in Australia and it took forever for them to get them. Except for the price, Dynatrac gets my vote. EMS hubs stick out just as far. You have an inner and outer bearing, not next to each other, and the Waren hub out beyound them.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:22 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i should have said " if they did that i like the fact that they avoided....." lol there has never been a hub manufactured that is the back spacing and setup for a floating rotor like the ems/ dynatrac. as well the spindle may be a machined down version of something else but i dont know of an application out there that uses 4 bolts.

the fact that aam never used hubs isnt really the issue because the knuckle out assembly is the same dimensionally and parts wis as what dana was using on the late model 60's.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 AM

John in NH, very nice setup, and we apprecate the pics. How hard was it to cut the stock hubcaps?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 AM

highdesertrat.. They measure 5.5"

How did the install go? ....The tech said it was easy
Did you install the Dynatrac yourself? .. No my drive like guy did it while replacing my E-locker
Any problems or surprises in the install? ... None apparently

How long did it take? Not sure... I believe 4 or so hrs or so to reinstall the E-Locker and do the hubs.

How hard was it to cut the stock hubcaps? .. The chrome was to hard for the 4" hole saw. He said you need to cut from the inside to make it easier.... He did a fantastic job.

Next time I see him I will ask these questions to get more specific answers
Old 05-16-2007, 12:18 PM

JohnInNh,

Thanks for the information.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:12 PM

About the caps, I did the same install in my garage. The hub replacement was about 4 hours. You will need a shop press to press the wheel lugs and bearing races. The cap, drilling the hole was the easy part. The wheel lugs are longer so the cap will not fit tight to the wheel. You need to remove the spring steel keeper on the inside and drill holes (grind) between the stock holes. From the pics posted, I have more hub shaft sticking out of the cap since the cap is tight to the wheel.

Quick Reply: Dynatrac vs "EMS Offroad" Free Spin Kits