3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dually Question (Tires)

Old 01-11-2005, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dually Question (Tires)

So I took my truck into my so called 5-Star dealer to rotate the tires on my dually. My white letters had always faced the outside. When I picked up the truck only one tire had the white letters facing out and the rest black. They messed up the finish on both rear end hub caps and left my spare dangling loose.

Aside from the last two items does this mean they rotated the tires wrong. I assume you want to always keep the tires spinning in the same direction due to the belts in the tires. I know the tires are not directional but for the last 30K they have always spun one way till now. I did'nt dare ask my dealer the question as they proved their knowledge of anything by the way I was treated. I wonder if I am hurting the life of my tires by having the tires reversed like they did. Any input would help!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:21 PM

I try to keep mine on the same side, but I don't think it hurts anything if they get switched. The directional tires don't absolutely have to go in the direction of the tread, only if you want them to channel water away, which would be a good idea. You can run them backwards and not hurt anything, just hope it doesn't rain. You'll be fine with the tires like they are, but I'd tell them to come up with some new caps for the wheels. Or just go park by a new truck and take the ones off of it, and when they come out to see what you are doing, make your point known to them. I'm about to go "test drive" a new cummins to get my block heater cord that they won't order for me. I hate dealerships that mess up your vehicle. I could go on and on about how they screwed up my truck..sorry for the rant.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's the main reason why I get blackwalls. I would think you would have 2 tires with white letters out or all black.

When the outer dually tire gets put on the inside it get reversed and visa versa OR when a front goes to the outer dually spot it get reversed and visa versa.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:43 PM

The way the owners manual states the rotate without the spare included is: front right (FR) to inner left rear (ILR) and the ILR back to the FR, then FL to the IRR and the IRR to the FL. Then you switch the outer rears from left to right and they stay on the outer. At least that's the way I read it and did mine.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Chapter President

I went through the same issue with my dealer. In addition, they never moved the valve extensions around so I was unable to check my tire pressure in the rears. By the way, check your tires, they may be directional ( as in White Raised Letters Out). I have the GoodYear GSA's and they are this way. There is writing on the sidewall which states "White Raised Letters Out" and I can't recall but possibly an arrow marking rotation direction. I brought this up to the dealer and they accused me of having aftermarket tires. These are the same tires that my rig came with back in Oct 03. Then after making them look like ***** and fixing my tires, they started asking questions about my exhaust. Typical dealer who believes they are all knowing. I lucked out because their tire guy walked in on the conversation and agreed with me about the tires being stock and being directional. Bottom line was I never rotated tires again, that was at 6,000 miles and I'm at 20,000 now, and tires are not cupping and all look well.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:34 AM

I went in yesterday pretty upset. I have an appointment next week to have the rotation fixxed as well as everything else they messed up. I made it clear to the service advisor that after next week they won't ever see my truck in their bay again, even for warranty work as I will find another dealer for that and start doing rotations myself.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 AM

I believe dealerships have an obligation to hire the biggest moron that they can find to be their service manager. I have yet to meet one who has any common sense whatsoever.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Agreed
Old 01-12-2005, 08:08 PM

The 2003 4x4 came with Goodyear wrangler GSA. They are not a directional tire but rather a asymetrical tire. Meaning the tread is not the same across the tire. If you look at the side wall it will say"This side facing outwards". There are no arrows.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Patrolman808
I believe dealerships have an obligation to hire the biggest moron that they can find to be their service manager. I have yet to meet one who has any common sense whatsoever.
I found the only one.