3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Don't start your engine twice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't start your engine twice!

Well, curiosity got the better of me today. I decided to see if the starter would engage with the engine already running. Yes, I know, ! A hideous screech for a split second answered my question. But you would think with all of the fancy electronic controls on these things, the starter would have been locked out! Just about every modern car I've driven prevents this, including my 22 year old Mercedes. Good job, Dodge! I guess they needed that space in the ECM for the out of park alarm.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresbert,
do you think the light in the refridgerator goes out or stays on when you shut the referidgerator door??
how can you be sure??- lol
Old 07-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Yup in the 1960's Volkswagen had a manual key deterrent to trying that stunt.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:34 PM

Very interesting. I know on my Dodge Dakota I used to have you could override the speed limiter by turning the key to the start position once you reached it....of course you would only do this on a closed course with no other drivers, to do it on a public road would be illegal.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:31 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

If you do it again, can you record it for us? I bet its a horrible noise.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by twoforme2
Very interesting. I know on my Dodge Dakota I used to have you could override the speed limiter by turning the key to the start position once you reached it....of course you would only do this on a closed course with no other drivers, to do it on a public road would be illegal.
I think I remember doing this in my 1500 hemi a couple times but all the instruments died?

On a side note they did this to my truck at the carwash the other day ... There is a first time for everything... I mean how could they not tell it was running is what I thought ... Not like its a lexus.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 PM

Wierd sound

Yo Fredbert!!!!! If you want to hear something really cool, get your rig up to about 70-75 MPH, check your mirrors to make sure there is nobody else near you to witness this act, then, with all the strenght you can muster, slam your gear selector into P (P=PASS) and you will hear sounds and see things in your mirrors that no sensible man should EVER hear or see. But then again, turning the key to the crank position with the engine running doesn`t sound like a very sensible action either. But that`s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You just HAD to do it. I had to laugh... leave it to us guys. If there was a string hanging from a drop ceiling with a missing tile, would you pull on it? I would.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:16 AM

LOL, I thought about doing it the other day. But I didn't try it out. My old GMC would continue to crank after you let off the key if the engine had not started yet, and would also lock out once started. Guess dodge is behind the times. I'll live without that feature and settle for the extra pulling power though.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

slow day huh fred....... where you from orriginally again ???
Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Chapter President

Well i had to do it also but mine didn't try to crank, so maybe mine being older or even a 6-speed not sure.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:27 PM

I hope you don’t take the same approach to underwear......
Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the 6 speed, you need to push in the clutch....
Old 07-06-2008, 04:10 PM

I guess they assume the ECM above our shoulders will prevent this action from occurring. Obviously, they were wrong.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gunz4all
Yo Fredbert!!!!! If you want to hear something really cool, get your rig up to about 70-75 MPH, check your mirrors to make sure there is nobody else near you to witness this act, then, with all the strenght you can muster, slam your gear selector into P (P=PASS) and you will hear sounds and see things in your mirrors that no sensible man should EVER hear or see. But then again, turning the key to the crank position with the engine running doesn`t sound like a very sensible action either. But that`s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Back in my ag college days, we got a kid to run a reved out tractor in reverse gear with the clutch in down a steep hill, forward. He was instructed by us to let let the clutch out when he got some speed up.
There was a lot of noise.....................

Quick Reply: Don't start your engine twice!